This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zafria vxr towbar

anyone got any information, refitting a towbar or had one fitted yet? As i am still having trouble finding one to fit.

Apparently you can fit the Vauxhall detachable tow bar to the Zafira VXR but it also requires a cover plate to be fitted to the rear bumper lower valence to cover up the 'large' hole you have to make in order to get the tow to fit.

I looked into this, ordered a cover plate but then decided against it as the plastic cover was quite large and I didn't fancy cutting the necessary large hole in my bumper!

You can order the tow bar and cover plate for the VXR from vauxhall-accessories.com - try here:

http://www.vauxhall-accessories.com/...7&item_id=1663

Trust this helps a little!

Marc

Comment

Thanks very much for the info. i wanted to fit a normal 2 bolt towbar as it wouldnt of bothered me to leave the bar on permanently.It was to take a motorcycle rack which had been bought and fitted onto my old gsi without problem and without any cutting. So when i bought the vxr i went back to the same fitter after spending time fitting the bar and having to turn the exhaust bracket round on the right hand side to support the second exhaust when the towball was ofered up it was way too short and would of had to be cut well into the bumper. They then tried a longer ball which came off a ford mondeo but the holes where in the wrong place and couldnt be drilled for safty reasons.The end story was that if the maker of the tow bar made a longer one to fit they would have to go back an have it re tested they said they had not had a vxr in for measuring i did offer my services but thats were it ended.I dont suppose it is worth there trouble as they will not sell that many.I could buy a trailer as a last resort and go for the vauxhall one thanks for your help. would still be greatfull of any other info or pictures of fitting mike. stage one conversion and decat pipe fitted goes like a dream.

Comment

I have to be honest, I couldn't source any pictures of how it would hang together which is why I purchased the trim cover first to see the potential impact and size of cut out.

The cover came with no instructions and having had a look at how best to avoid the end result looking like a dogs breakfast, I eventually wimped out and felt the overall costs were a bit high for all the bits i would need.

I only wanted a means to carry 4 bikes on the back with a carrier on the tow bar as I needed to use the roof bars for a roof box. I ended up buying the Vauxhall Zafira rear door bike carrier and modifying it slightly to fit over the rear spoiler and then putting two further bikes on the roof to the side of the roof box.

All fits surprisingly! There's an earlier link in this section with photos of my Zafira all loaded up if you haven't seen it already. Try this:

http://www.vxronline.co.uk/messagebo...pic.php?t=1373

As I mentioned, there seems very few options for the Zafira VXR and a towbar hence the above choice taken for carrying my kit.

Marc

Comment

I had a nightmare getting a bar fitted to my VXR. Dealer i got the car from (main Vaux dealer) used a local mobile outfit for all of their towbars but he couldn't get one to fit because of the second exhaust pipe and there was no way i could fit one to this car.
          So i got in touch with my local Vauxhall garage who fitted a bar to my old GSI with no problem. They assured me that a standard swan neck (fixed) bar would fit ok.
          When they came to fit it they did say it was more work than anticipated - back valance had to come off and a hole cut for the bar to fit through and a modification around the r/h silencer mounting.
          Luckily for the fitter his marking out was v.good and i've just got a tidy cutout aroung the bar.
          The other point to note is that apparently the electrics are different on the new zafira and they can't just be spliced into the loom like some after market ones usually are.
          The genuine vaux fittment works really well and even disables the rear parking sensors when a tailboard is plugged in !!
          I paid £310 incl VAT and was well worth it.

Comment

Hi mightymouse - sounds great news - can you share some pictures and the name of the dealer?

Cheers,
            Marc

Comment

Hi Marc,
              The name of the company is Soundwaves in Cheltenham (part of the Baylis dealership) tel: 01242 262266 web: www.bhsvauxhall.co.uk/soundwaves.
              Have taken some digi pics but being new to this not sure how to upload them ??
              Would like to share them with all who may be interested so any tips would be much appreciated !!
              Failing that you could email me and i can attach them to a reply ?
              Have fun...

Comment

Email sent.

Marc

Comment

Hi Marc,
                  Not being one to give up easily i've had a go with the pics !!!!

Hope they're ok...
                  Cheers, Pete.

Comment

Hi mightymouse, welcome, some great pictures there mate! they have done a top job! - very neat & tidy.
                    Good to see that you got the best colour although they are a pig to keep clean, but well worth it, if only for a few minutes!

regards,

Flinty

Comment

Agreed - the fit looks mightyfine there mightymouse! Great job!

Thanks for the details - I'll follow up with a call this weekend to Soundwaves and see what they can do on a detachable unit though at £310 the fixed unit seems a strong option.

Cheers,
                      Marc

Comment

Originally posted by mjellison1a
                        Agreed - the fit looks mightyfine there mightymouse! Great job!

Thanks for the details - I'll follow up with a call this weekend to Soundwaves and see what they can do on a detachable unit though at £310 the fixed unit seems a strong option.

Cheers,
                        Marc
                        Marc, if you have a detachable unit, do you think will it show the cut-out?

Comment

Flinty,

From what I remember when I looked into this last year, the cover panel for the Zafira VXR for use with the detachable tow bar is around 150mm x 150mm sqaure. It is designed to fit over and clip neatly into the rear valence (it even included the central lower fin/notch), so, although in my opinion it will show very slightly, but when sprayed body colour it at least avoids leaving an exposed hole in the rear valence when the tow bar is detached.

I was too much of a chicken to undertake a DIY job on this and details on fitting a tow bar at the time were non-existent, so moved on!

Mightmouse has proved a tow bar can be fitted, and many thanks for the post and pics, I'm just not that keen on having an exposed tow bar on show all the time hence my preference for a detachable unit.

I'll make some enquiries and update on the outcome.

Marc

Comment

Greetings

Is there a possibility to get one of those covers shipped to South Africa, currently we do not have any options to cover the holes.
                            Thanks

Comment

Hi mate & welcome!

If someone can obtain the part number then you should be able to order it via your Opel outlet in SA (all part numbers are the same; whether Opel or Vauxhall, I believe)

Comment

Working...
                              X