This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Oil Leak Help Advise

Hi all, been a lurker on the forums for a lil while, first post an all.

Looking for some advice, have a Dec95 Bus, serviced regularly once a year, 40k on the clock. At the last service techie dude noticed small oil leak from top of the rocker cover, will fix on next service as its only very small leak, make sure you get it in to us before 3 yr warranty runs out.

Ok I say and walk away, last month think to self. check oil etc, a little low on the dip stick but not bad top up with litre of synthetic oil, sorted.

Last week car was running a bit rough, jerky sort of feel, thought hey its comming up for a year since last service, that will be the 12 month run rough programme starting up in the EMS.

Noticed a small pool of oil in my drive on Thu last week, checked the dip, oil has gone, ok stick another litre in no joy, not even on the stick, stick another in, just on the bottom of the stick ok anther 500ml, up to the mark.

Reversed out of the drive and noticed a trail of oil following me , had to drive a mile to work. Came out 8 hours later pool of oil under car drove home, turned into street, oil pressure light on.

Car booked in for service on Tuesday 30 miles away, mmmm, dont think it will get there if its dropping oil at that rate.

Anybody any ideas what the problem might be ????

Help !!!

JJ

Originally posted by R55VXR View Post
    Came out 8 hours later pool of oil under car drove home, turned into street, oil pressure light on.

JJ
    please say you turned it off IMMEDIATELY! when that happened.

does sound like you have a major oil leak.be worth just filling it up and having a look underneath to see where its coming from.the sound of it it should be pretty clear where its coming from.

hit anything in the road recently?

might have split the sump.
    ...superior horsepower through knowledge,good design and maximum efficiency
    version 1.0 a low boost 347bhp
    version 2.0 a stock boost 356bhp.
    coming next......280bhp of finest signum V6 derv power!.

Comment

As Percy said, either you have split the sump somehow, or you have a leak from one of your crankshaft oil seals possibly
      sigpic
      My VXR from Start to Finish

Gone but not forgotten - one of the original crew

Comment

Originally posted by PERCY'S vxr View Post
        please say you turned it off IMMEDIATELY! when that happened.

does sound like you have a major oil leak.be worth just filling it up and having a look underneath to see where its coming from.the sound of it it should be pretty clear where its coming from.

hit anything in the road recently?

might have split the sump.
        Thanks guys, for the input so far, haven't hit anything and yes turned it off and coasted the 30 meters to the house, kind of weird as I never had a car ditch so much oil so quickly, apart from the time when I had a sierra 4x4 with a turbo technics twin turbo conversion on its, pushing out 280 bhp, 150 mph, con rod throught the side of the block that really lost oil quickly on the motorway and cost £1800 to put right in 95.

I did read about a turbo problem somewhere, this look like the symptoms ??

JJ

Comment

Do you know where abouts the oil is coming from, I know you said rocker cover?
          I've just had the main seal changed on mine as I had a small leak (although not using hardly any oil!). Was done under warranty. If it is this, make sure that the clutch hasn't been contaminate with oil.

Welcome to the site BTW

Comment

i had this with my astra gsi turbo was leeking real bad even blew all over the inside of the bonnet.......Bad news it was the head gasket
            WARNING all replys are incorrect as usual

Comment

Originally posted by paulk View Post
              i had this with my astra gsi turbo was leeking real bad even blew all over the inside of the bonnet.......Bad news it was the head gasket
              Thanks guys, its a right pain in da ***, booked in on Tue for service, but dont think it will drive there, will give it a fill with oil 2morrow see where its comming from, hope its not the head gasket, we'll see

JJ,, got a new model what u think...lighten up the comming doom I think!!

Merry xmas guys from all @ Ecstasy Lingerie

Comment

thats my ex lol

Comment

Originally posted by paulk View Post
                  thats my ex lol
                  LOL Lucky U m8, cost us a fortune to hire her take it ur minted then

JJ

Comment

LOL, sorry or were minted !!

Comment

thats why shes a ex

Comment

To have a leak that bad I am surprised that the oil level warning did not go off before the low oil pressure happened. If the oil pressure light comes on with the engine running damage WILL occur. If that was my car it would only be moving on the back of a flat bed truck
                        sigpicAstra VXR Stage 2, 279.7bhp Petrol, 292.0 bhp LPG
                        Zafira 222 BHP LPG (stage 1), 295 Petrol (stage 3)

Need any stainless bolts for your rocker cover or anywhere else on your motor? PM for a good price

Comment

Originally posted by jalfrezigazee View Post
                          To have a leak that bad I am surprised that the oil level warning did not go off before the low oil pressure happened. If the oil pressure light comes on with the engine running damage WILL occur. If that was my car it would only be moving on the back of a flat bed truck
                          Yeah was surprised at that myself, gonna call the garage tomorrow and get them to flat bed it in, not taking any risks with it..

JJ

Comment

Originally posted by R55VXR View Post
                            Yeah was surprised at that myself, gonna call the garage tomorrow and get them to flat bed it in, not taking any risks with it..

JJ
                            Well turned out it was a coroded oil filter and nothing major, thanks for the advice guys ..

JJ

Comment

Working...
                            X