This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excessive smoke???

Not sure if Zafira has a 40 a day habit or it just seems to be smoking more due to the cold weather.

From -3 deg to 4 deg (not really been much warmer recently to test if better in "milder" weather) when at junctions, traffic lights etc I seem to be sat in a huge cloud of smoke which you can see swirling right round the back of the car and comes past the drivers window.

Looking at other cars you do see more fumes due to cold weather but not the extent im getting. Can have run car for 20 mins and it still does it. Even when turn car off the exhaust tips can smoke a little.

It does have a front de-cat and custom stainless back box so assume more fumes due to this?

Is it fairly normal or does it sound excessive and if so what can I check out for possible causes?

Cheers and seasons greetings (humbug mods is this the closest we get to a Santa and his sleigh smilie, a bearded bloke in a wheelchair? )
    Last edited by martin1973; 15 December 2008, 07:34 PM.

Is it white smoke, or a blue tinge?

It could be excess condensation within the system which needs a good run to clear it out properly - especially if it's being used for runs round town or not getting a good run at full throttle to really heat up the exhaust.

Comment

Would say its white and is getting fairly short runs, will be doing a 90 mile or so round trip tomorrow so will see how it is then.

Tried putting a sheet of paper over the exhaust to see if any black specs of oil but no signs.

Could a fault in the turbo cause excessive smoke? (or does that tend to produce blue or black smoke)

Comment

mine gives off alot when in traffic but dont forget you have 2 exits at the back so will give off more then a car with single exit

Comment

white smoke usually means its burning oil
          www.themarkwrightproject.org.uk
          www.combatstress.org.uk

Comment

Well seems the same colour as the cars around me, not thick white smoke. Will check oil level as generally it hardly ever uses any, so if burning it assume would want a glug.

Comment

our zaffy,s use 500 mls off oil every 1000 miles so vaux told me when i said bout mine using oil
              www.combatstress.org.uk

Comment

Mine does have alot of white steam, NOT Smoke...
                DOes the white mist diapear or hang around???
                I would say it evaporates which means steam, so no worries...

Comment

Originally posted by scoobieeccosse View Post
                  white smoke usually means its burning oil
                  white = water
                  blue = oil
                  black = fuel

I was thinking about this very same topic the other day when in traffic, engine nice and hot after a few miles but at some traffic lights lots of white (steam) was coming from exhaust. Saw this post and didnt think much about replying until this morning, just remembered that I have a sports exhaust fitted and as such far more heat is being removed from the engine than a standard car, so one can assume the extra steam at the moment is the water vapour in the cold air condensing into steam
                  sigpicAstra VXR Stage 2, 279.7bhp Petrol, 292.0 bhp LPG
                  Zafira 222 BHP LPG (stage 1), 295 Petrol (stage 3)

Need any stainless bolts for your rocker cover or anywhere else on your motor? PM for a good price

Comment

I have this a lot with the Vec, the exhaust gets quite hot on mine, and in the cold weather its producing loads of water vapour clouds.

You know its water vapour because when you stop the car, the white clouds continue to come out of the exhausts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrLOL View Post
                      I have this a lot with the Vec, the exhaust gets quite hot on mine, and in the cold weather its producing loads of water vapour clouds.

You know its water vapour because when you stop the car, the white clouds continue to come out of the exhausts.

likewise
                      sigpic
                      GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Comment

Originally posted by vxr bad boy View Post
                        likewise
                        Double ditto.

Comment

Originally posted by jalfrezigazee View Post
                          white = water
                          blue = oil
                          black = fuel

I was thinking about this very same topic the other day when in traffic, engine nice and hot after a few miles but at some traffic lights lots of white (steam) was coming from exhaust. Saw this post and didnt think much about replying until this morning, just remembered that I have a sports exhaust fitted and as such far more heat is being removed from the engine than a standard car, so one can assume the extra steam at the moment is the water vapour in the cold air condensing into steam

u get white smoke when burning oil and water ie cylinder head gasket or turbo gone up the swannie
                          www.combatstress.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by MrLOL View Post

That sounds like it, as you say still get a bit of steam/smoke coming out even after engine turned off.

Seemed OK tonight when 8 degrees and after a 50 mile trip.... fingers crossed nothing to worry about.

=====

Scoobie I read somewhere the VXR is ment to use about 1 litre every 500 miles, so bought some millers liquid gold (cant remember name but vauxhall specific and cost £50 for 5 litres) in 20000 miles maybe used 1.5 to 2 litres with top ups.

Comment

Originally posted by scoobieeccosse View Post
                              u get white smoke when burning oil and water ie cylinder head gasket or turbo gone up the swannie
                              afraid not matey, white = water, oil & water = blue/white or light blue
                              sigpicAstra VXR Stage 2, 279.7bhp Petrol, 292.0 bhp LPG
                              Zafira 222 BHP LPG (stage 1), 295 Petrol (stage 3)

Need any stainless bolts for your rocker cover or anywhere else on your motor? PM for a good price

Comment

Working...
                              X