This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power/Engine Issue

Can anyone offer any advice about a flat spot. Took the bus to the dealers last week, nearly out of warrenty. I asked them to investigate why it had a noticeable flat spot at about 4k revs, surprise surprise they didn't think it had a problem. Wifey drives it mostly around town, so was wondering if that was part of the problem, did the ecu need resetting?. Would quite happily take it somwhere to sort it, any ideas? I am based in Solihull

Hi, If i were you, I'd disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour & reset the learn values in the ECU, reconnect the battery & take it for a good blast (after a good/slow warm up) & see how it is then! What a lot of people don't realise is that the car's ECU learns the way you drive, so if you drive like Miss Daisy; it will not perform like it can, when you feel the need!!

What fuel are you using?

Comment

yea fuel can also be an issue, higher octaine fuels as a must if you want it to perform the way you expect.
      INSIGNIA VXR

Comment

Ask them to try replacing the air mass meter. It wont show a fault so will likely resist but replace it then run the car for 4/5 ignition cycles (run the car, drive it then turn it off then repeat), the flat spot will get further and further up the rev range until it disappears.

Comment

I do use high octane fuel, I think its probably due to the driving style, I only use it weekends, so it doesnt get a blast often enough

Comment

i need to get my bus on the rollers to see what its pushing

i always thought mine had a flat spot turbo seems to come in hard then ease off then seems to have an extra surge at the end, car is standard apart from courts filter and plugs and changed the fuel to vpower under flintys orders.

i had a suprised ecu change when it went in for some bits and bobs to be done under warrenty and still the same so im just taking it thats the way it should be.

crammy im from great barr not far from you and take it to lookers star city nice dealer and site.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorney View Post
              Ask them to try replacing the air mass meter. It wont show a fault so will likely resist but replace it then run the car for 4/5 ignition cycles (run the car, drive it then turn it off then repeat), the flat spot will get further and further up the rev range until it disappears.
              what the hell you on about.

Never heard any thing like this before.

Comment

Originally posted by alex_c View Post

Comment

Originally posted by alex_c View Post

Live an learn I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by crammy View Post
                    I do use high octane fuel, I think its probably due to the driving style, I only use it weekends, so it doesnt get a blast often enough
                    Do the battery thing 1st mate, as you're starting a fresh & see how you get on ..the problem could be that your mrs is driving slowly throughout the week & you giving it a workout at the weekend might help but probably won't enough

Originally posted by britishbeef View Post
                    i need to get my bus on the rollers to see what its pushing

i always thought mine had a flat spot turbo seems to come in hard then ease off then seems to have an extra surge at the end, car is standard apart from courts filter and plugs and changed the fuel to vpower under flintys orders.

i had a suprised ecu change when it went in for some bits and bobs to be done under warrenty and still the same so im just taking it thats the way it should be.

crammy im from great barr not far from you and take it to lookers star city nice dealer and site.
                    Could be any number of reasons mate, the best bet is to get it on the roller with a tuner who knows about our cars & get them to check everything is as it should be like boost pressure, AFR etc sometimes it's just trial & error as it could be anything from a dodgy boost solonoid to an actuator.

Money definately well spent IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Thorney View Post
                      Live an learn I guess.
                      EDITTED !!!!

whats the point of a new one then,
                      Never done any thing like the with Audi just fit the new onw and away.
                      Guess tech's and numptys
                      Last edited by Heavenly; 16 December 2008, 10:19 PM. Reason: Swearing!!!!

Comment

We did this on PaulK's car on the dyno, fitted a new AMM and it slowly cured the problem, Paul will confirm I'm sure.

Comment

cheers flinty will do

whos nearer to me for a rr im in brum and who would you take it to if it was you dont mind the drive if its far.

prob with my bus that dont help it it dont get used enough it goes 1 and half mile to school then to wifes work which is about a mile then a mile home from work so it aint really getting warmed up doing about 3 half mile each day.

Comment

cheers flinty will do

whos nearer to me for a rr im in brum and who would you take it to if it was you dont mind the drive if its far.
                            I took mine to Courtenays mate, so guess I'd have to recommend them
                            It doesn't bother me how far they are TBH

prob with my bus that dont help it it dont get used enough it goes 1 and half mile to school then to wifes work which is about a mile then a mile home from work so it aint really getting warmed up doing about 3 half mile each day.
                            Maybe we could swap for a year or so, then at least my mileage would come down & yours would get some proper use ..there might be a slight drawback though, I couldn't gaurantee it would be standard when you got it back

Comment

cheers flinty will do

That wouldn't help it, but wouldn't cause it either.

We're in MK, about an hour away I'd guess?

Comment

Working...
                              X