X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo cooling

Hi people,

how long do you leave your car running to let the turbo drain of oil and cool? Or what ever you leave it to do?

Thanks

i normally drive slow/steady for the first 10 mins and last 10 mins if possible, failing that just sit in the car leaving it tick over for 5+ mins after/before driving,

Comment

dont know what the proper cooling down is but if ive been going fast then the last 10 minutes of driving home i just drive at around 30 mph park it in the garage leave it running for a couple of minutes then turn off.

Comment

i'l try and drive the last mile in a high gear doing low revs, (going quicker is better as it gets more air to the intercooler) and then let the car idle for 1 min with the heaters on full temp, to take some of the hot air away from the engine (if its a hot day its best u get out of the car) and then switch it off and remember to lock it!

Comment

Originally posted by terry1974terry View Post
          i normally drive slow/steady for the first 10 mins and last 10 mins if possible, failing that just sit in the car leaving it tick over for 5+ mins after/before driving,
          Thats what I do, my neighbours always wondered what I am doing while I am cooling her, lol.
          Zaffy VXR| RARB | Vxracing 19s in Gloss Black |Stage 3丨Turboback Miltek 丨TX Intercooler丨CDTI set-up with Pipercross Open Cone丨Forge Recric Valve 丨 Debaged 丨Corsa Indicator Surroundings |Full Rear Sunblinds | Leds Footwell Lightings丨

Comment

Originally posted by SilverSchoolBus View Post
            Thats what I do, my neighbours always wondered what I am doing while I am cooling her, lol.
            Doesn't go down too well when everyone is asleep though!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VXRSi View Post
              Doesn't go down too well when everyone is asleep though!
              it will be even worse next week as I am getting a milly, lol.
              Zaffy VXR| RARB | Vxracing 19s in Gloss Black |Stage 3丨Turboback Miltek 丨TX Intercooler丨CDTI set-up with Pipercross Open Cone丨Forge Recric Valve 丨 Debaged 丨Corsa Indicator Surroundings |Full Rear Sunblinds | Leds Footwell Lightings丨

Comment

Originally posted by SilverSchoolBus View Post
                it will be even worse next week as I am getting a milly, lol.
                Nice one I never have the radio on just listen to the exhaust. Popping along in the chuckle bus lol

to be honest it's not too loud on tick over so u should be ok with the neighbours

Comment

you need at least 1500 revs to continue to keep the turbo oil flowing correctly, so driving softly without hitting the boost threshold is the ideal situation for the last 10 mins or so, leaving the engine at idle for the last 5 mins has little effect really on anything bearing housing water jacket is the best idea if ur worried about ur turbo bearings

Comment

Just turn it off and get out, never thought I was doing anything wrong!

Always let it warm up a bit before giving it some and suppose I take it easy before I park up as it's a built up area near home and work.

But I never let it tick over or deliberately drive slow before switching off.

Comment

So what is the point of the turbo timers? They just tick over for a few mins?

Just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing for my ikkle chuckle bus lol

Comment

There arent enough revs to keep the oil cooling the trubo properly so i would never advise getting a turbo timer, just drive like i say off boost for the last 10 mins or so, that will do the trick

Best practice to ensure that your turbo lasts is to cruise at low RPM where no boost pressure is created for the last 15 minutes of your journey to let the turbo cool down properly. Some people suggest that you let the engine idle for 30 seconds before turning off the engine, or install a turbo timer to automate the task, but the oil pressure at idle speeds is too low to provide sufficient lubrication. You need at least 1,500 RPM for enough oil pressure to ensure that the bearings and shaft receives sufficient lubrication while the turbo cools down. It is for this reason that we do not recommend installing a turbo timer. You should also change the engine oil every 2,000 miles, and use a high-quality, synthetic, straight viscosity oil. These three simple things will ensure that you prolong the life of your turbo and that you never need worry about coked up turbo bearing failure again.

Comment

I think that there may have been issues with the CANBUS when using turbo timers too.

Comment

I always warm up and cool down...... on warm up I wait for the revs to drop before I move and then for the first 5 mins I stay under 3000 revs. On the cool down I drive like an old man for the last 5 mins and then let it idle for around 2 mins before I turn her off think everyone has there own way of doing it, Im sure they all help in some ways........
                            ....................................sigpic.................................

..................... THEY JUST KEEP GETTING BETTER.!!.................

Comment

how do the ppl who blast up the santa pod strip at full throttle driving the car at its limits then turn round at the top drive back down to start and turn it off and push the car till the next run get on surely its bad for there turbos.

Comment

Working...
                              X