This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zafira VXR problems

Hi, this is my first time on here so not sure where the post should go etc.

I bought a zafira vxr in march (brand new). over the last few weeks, when sat in traffic queues etc the drivers side exhaust pipe has been bellowing out smoke, and the exhaust clicks when the engine is turned off.

any one else have the same problem, or possible thought as to what it may be.

it is booked into garage tomorrow, but not being very mechanically minded I dont want them to fob me off

also when putting foot down hard on open road, the steering wheel wants to pull all over the place, is this normal??

any help would be appreciated.

alex

Originally posted by fordyboy1011 View Post
    Hi, this is my first time on here so not sure where the post should go etc.

I bought a zafira vxr in march (brand new). over the last few weeks, when sat in traffic queues etc the drivers side exhaust pipe has been bellowing out smoke, and the exhaust clicks when the engine is turned off.

any one else have the same problem, or possible thought as to what it may be.

it is booked into garage tomorrow, but not being very mechanically minded I dont want them to fob me off

also when putting foot down hard on open road, the steering wheel wants to pull all over the place, is this normal??

any help would be appreciated.

alex
    Hi Alex,

Welcome to the site!

Are you sure that what is coming out of the exhaust is smoke & not steam/condensation built up inside the system? I know mine bellows out a fair bit especially on colder mornings!!

Torque steer is always going to be a bit of a problem when you've got so much power going through the front wheels. Unfortunately the drive shafts aren't equal in length & subsequently pull you to left. This often feels worse once the tyres start wear down. Things like the road camber & 'rutting' in the roads don't help either.

The exhaust will click as it cools down, are you making sure that you warm the car down after driving hard etc?

Comment

hi, thanks for the swift answer.

i am sure it is smoke, thick white cloud, and there is an awful smell too (like burning of something), not like rotten eggs though (assuming this is relevant to the exhaust) smells quite synthetic, if you see the line i am taking.

have checked all fluid levels etc they are fine.

confirm your note regarding the warming up and down, always take it easy for a few mins before returning home, and especially once starting up a journey.

tyres will need replacing shortly, Sports Contact 2 currently fitted (i think), any suggestions as to improvements would be welcomed.

also looking at replacing the headlamp bulbs, the standard ones are quite useless, any suggestions on this too??

all help appreciated

alex

Comment

Well if it's an oily smell then it might be oil getting through maybe via the turbo, it wouldn't take much to smell. Normally smoke is grey when oil is present, white normally indicate steam...
        Tyres will cause issues if they're getting low, get some decent rubber on them like Goodyear assymetrics or Vredestein ultrac sessantas & you'll notice the difference straight away.

Comment

many thanks for this, as I said, it is going in to Vauxhall tomorrow, so will see what they come up with

will sort tyres out too

thanks again for all your help

PS - any thoughts on bulbs?? seen a few people recommending Philips Diamond Vision 5000k?

Comment

Yes hopefully they'll have a good look for you tomorrow, oil leaks aren't uncommon but are normally external where by you might get a slight weep that might drip on to the exhaust. Normally if there is oil getting through & out of the exhaust; it would normally point to turbo wear..hopefully not the case but if it is then you've got warranty

Not really into lights myself but if you have a search in the zaf section you'll find some useful info albeit a bit of a pain changing the bulbs (alright if you got small hands!)

Comment

many thanks for this, as I said, it is going in to Vauxhall tomorrow, so will see what they come up with

will sort tyres out too

thanks again for all your help

PS - any thoughts on bulbs?? seen a few people recommending Philips Diamond Vision 5000k?
              got a pair of Philips Blue Version (brand new) for sale if interested.
              Last edited by SilverSchoolBus; 30 September 2009, 10:13 PM.
              Zaffy VXR| RARB | Vxracing 19s in Gloss Black |Stage 3丨Turboback Miltek 丨TX Intercooler丨CDTI set-up with Pipercross Open Cone丨Forge Recric Valve 丨 Debaged 丨Corsa Indicator Surroundings |Full Rear Sunblinds | Leds Footwell Lightings丨

Comment

hi silverschoolbus, thanks for the offer, unfortunately I have just ordered a set from my supplier at work so you are a little too late.

one thing they mentioned was that the 5000k are not EU road legal so I have gone for the Philips Blue Vision H1 4000K with free side lights too, will see how I get on with these.

thanks again.

Flinty - thanks also for your help yesterday, as mentioned my bus is in with Vauxhall today so will keep you all informed of the outcome, and I have taken your advice on the rubber - got myself a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 assymetrics that are being fitted tomorrow.

now I have seen how friendly and willing to help people are on here, i will certainly be visiting more often.

will also get some pics uploaded soon i think (although not modified our bus in any way yet - but it is my pride and joy so why not share its glory with everyone)

Comment

Flinty - thanks also for your help yesterday, as mentioned my bus is in with Vauxhall today so will keep you all informed of the outcome, and I have taken your advice on the rubber - got myself a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 assymetrics that are being fitted tomorrow.

now I have seen how friendly and willing to help people are on here, i will certainly be visiting more often.

will also get some pics uploaded soon i think (although not modified our bus in any way yet - but it is my pride and joy so why not share its glory with everyone)
                  You're very welcome, we're generally a helpful bunch on here! Let us know how you get on?

You won't be disappointed with the Goodyears, they are a very good tyre & a big improvement over the Conti sp2's in my opinion. They last pretty well too

Get some piccys up when you get a minute too!

Comment

hi guys, just got the bus back from vauxhall - they tested the exhausts and have stated that the smoking is purely condensation coming through the short pipe (drivers side) as this is the shortest point of exit. not 100% convinced, but after reading the comments on here am a little more comfortable.

now to swap the headlamps when i get home, and fit the VXR badge. just waiting for the blind to arrive before I think of further developments.

thanks for your help every1

Comment

hi guys, just got the bus back from vauxhall - they tested the exhausts and have stated that the smoking is purely condensation coming through the short pipe (drivers side) as this is the shortest point of exit. not 100% convinced, but after reading the comments on here am a little more comfortable.

now to swap the headlamps when i get home, and fit the VXR badge. just waiting for the blind to arrive before I think of further developments.

thanks for your help every1
                      Good news in some respects then.

Might need some ear defenders too for the blind

Comment

hi, thanks for the swift answer.

i am sure it is smoke, thick white cloud, and there is an awful smell too (like burning of something), not like rotten eggs though (assuming this is relevant to the exhaust) smells quite synthetic, if you see the line i am taking.

have checked all fluid levels etc they are fine.

confirm your note regarding the warming up and down, always take it easy for a few mins before returning home, and especially once starting up a journey.

tyres will need replacing shortly, Sports Contact 2 currently fitted (i think), any suggestions as to improvements would be welcomed.

also looking at replacing the headlamp bulbs, the standard ones are quite useless, any suggestions on this too??

all help appreciated

alex

falken 452,s are good to mate i got them on my bus and they handle well in the dry and the wet they only cost me £220 for the front 2 on 19",s well worth the money and they are made by goodyear a lot off the guys on here are running them on there cars
                        www.themarkwrightproject.org.uk
                        www.combatstress.org.uk

Comment

Working...
                        X