VX Racing’s Tom Chilton was leading the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship drivers again on Wednesday 13th September, but his race pace was not up to the 21-year-old’s usual standard around home circuit, Brands Hatch.

The Reigate racer was invited to join the BTCC’s team in a contest between four wheels and two at the Kent track, with the competition consisting of British Superbike Championship riders, Shane ‘Shakey’ Byrne, Tommy Hill and Michael Rutter.

The challenge was to ride one lap of the rolling circuit, on a three-wheel, lie-down bike. Whoever came first would claim the crown for their championship.

“The bikes were loads of fun,” said Chilton after finishing a close second to Byrne. “But you don’t want to go too fast though, because they shake a bit!

“I was going for the win. I braked at the bottom of the hill and everyone got a massive run on me. I was flat out to make up for it but I think I popped my legs a bit too early.

“It’s all uphill from Graham Hill Bend and I was in the highest gear at the top of Clearways. You just don’t realise how steep it is in the car. You can’t feel the climb at 100mph!”

Chilton’s team-mates for the day were Darren Turner of SEAT Sport, who retired with technical difficulties, and independent driver, Dave Pinkney.

"It was all a bit of fun," said Chilton, who drives the works Vauxhall in the BTCC. "But I'll be glad to get back to my regular team-mates. I doubt Darren or Dave can cook an Italian meal quite like Fabrizio!"

Today’s stunt was to promote this month’s BTCC round – the penultimate of the season – which will arrive at the famous circuit on September 23rd. BSB will arrive the following week.