This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Glimpse of VX Racing’s 2007 Vectra

The VX Racing Vectra Hatchback got its first public outing today (January 11) at the Autosport International Show.

The Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship team 2007 drivers, Tom Chilton and Fabrizio Giovanardi, were on hand to offer their first reactions to the car, which was produced after months of planning and design work. It’s not just a new car this season, “it’s the new S2000 regulations as well”, said Chilton, of Reigate, referring to the BTCC’s swap from BTC rules to the S2000 regulations used by the FIA World Touring Car Championship. “The team has worked night and day to get this car done. They’ve put their heads together and come up with a really good package”. VX Racing’s Operations Manager, Mike Nicholson, explained that the process of developing the car, which will carry Vauxhall’s title hopes for 2007, is far from over.

“Basically, what we’ve got here is the end result of many, many hours of design engineers sitting at a computer screen and putting the car together virtually”, he said. “When they arrive at what they think is right, they build it into the car and we keep our fingers crossed that it actually works. Our first test is very much a shake down to make sure everything is OK, but we are confident that the design is good”.

“That first test is in just a few days time and Chilton is raring to go. The shake down will be in Spain and I really looking forward to it, said the 21-year-old. I went to the factory a few days ago and saw them drop the engine into the front and now I’m just impatient to get behind the wheel”.

Our real testing starts after that, working out what’s the best qualifying set up and race set up. If you get that right, it will hold you in good stead for the whole year. I’m sure we’ve got a really good year’s racing ahead of us.

Italian touring car sensation, Giovanardi, ended 2006 as he means to start 2007 on the top step of the podium. It was particularly tough to understand immediately the new car last year because I was coming from a completely different set of rules and a different driver had developed the car, said the two-times European Touring Car Champion. Despite that, in the end our performance was not that bad and this year I have none of these problems.

This year I hope to be at the top, the same as Tom and all the other drivers. The fight could be very hard but we’ll try our best to be at the top with VXR.
    | Find | Watch | Follow |
Working...
X