X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VX Racing Rockingham 2007 Race Report

VX Racing Rockingham Race One Bulletin

VX Racing dominated the fourth round of the 2007 Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship, taking its first one-two finish of the 2007 season at Rockingham today.

Giovanardi led the race from start to finish despite an off on lap twelve due to an oil leak on the track.

The Italian's team-mate, Tom Chilton, finished the race in second place after overtaking Jason Plato in the SEAT Leon to make it a perfect race for the Luton-based manufacturer.

Fabrizio Giovanardi
    "When I saw the oil I knew I couldn't stop the car, so I just had to find the best way. I wasn't worried though as I knew I had enough time. This is a fantastic result for Vauxhall and I am very happy to be first."

Stuart Harris, VX Racing Brand Manager
    "I think when that oil came out of Fiona Leggate's car, everyone's heart leapt in their mouths. I'm just so glad we kept everything together. What a fantastic result!"

BTCC Provisional Round 4 Race Result
    1. Fabrizio Giovanardi (Vauxhall Vectra); 2. Tom Chilton (Vauxhall Vectra); 3. Jason Plato (SEAT Leon); 4. Gordon Shedden (Honda Civic); 5. Matt Neal (Honda Civic); 6. Mike Jordan (Honda Integra)
    | Find | Watch | Follow |

VX Racing Rockingham Race Two Bulletin

VX Racing's Fabrizio Giovanardi took second victory of the day in an action-packed fifth round of the 2007 Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship at Rockingham today.

Giovanardi dictated the race from the start, despite carrying maximum success ballast after winning today's first race. Team-mate, Tom Chilton, fought hard to keep second place from the BMW 320si of Tom Onslow-Cole, however he lost out on the last lap and had to settle in third.

Fabrizio Giovanardi
    “Two wins – I think it’s great, because the car is unbelievable fast even with ballast. We had a bad season last year and we worked out how to make it better. I am enjoying the fight now.”

Tom Chilton
    “That’s why I love this place. It’s exciting and I had a real adrenalin rush. It reminded me of why I love racing. It’s just a shame Tom (Onslow-Cole) got past me on the last lap. I just needed a few more laps.”

BTCC Provisional Round 5 Race Result
    1. Fabrizio Giovanardi (Vauxhall Vectra); 2. Tom Onslow-Cole (BMW 320si E90); 3. Tom Chilton (Vauxhall Vectra); 4. Mat Jackson (BMW 320si E90); 5. Jason Plato (SEAT Leon); 6. Darren Turner (SEAT Leon)

Comment

VX Racing Rockingham Race Three Bulletin

VX Racing's Fabrizio Giovanardi and Tom Chilton kept a cool head in the sixth round of the 2007 Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship at Rockingham today, finishing fifth and fourth respectively.

After taking victories in both races earlier in the day, Giovanardi, who was under immense pressure from Team Halford's Matt Neal throughout the race, managed to avoid the rough and tumble around him to finish in a solid fifth place.

His team-mate, Chilton, finished just ahead of the Italian in fourth place to round up a successful weekend for the Vauxhall team.
      Vauxhall is now leader of the Manufacturers Championship.

Ian Harrison, VX Racing's Team Principal
      "It's just learning about the car and finding out what works and what doesn't. We've got a winning ethic at VX Racing and we don't come here to finish second. Everybody's hard work has paid off; from the drawing office, design staff, the guys in the factory, the race crew and the drivers obviously, everybody has done a great job. It's what we do it for - it's why we put the hours in."

BTCC Provisional Round 6 Race Result
      1. Jason Plato (SEAT Leon); 2. Mat Jackson (BMW 320si E90); 3. Darren Turner (SEAT Leon); 4. Tom Chilton (Vauxhall Vectra); 5. Fabrizio Giovanardi (Vauxhall Vectra); 6. Gordon Shedden (Honda Civic)

Comment

VX Racing put on a show of force at Rockingham today with two emphatic victories reminiscent of the form which earned the team triple Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championships four years in a row.

The crew was ecstatic as months of hard work developing a prototype car came to fruition with two victories and two podiums, putting the Vauxhall works team ahead in both the BTCC Manufacturers and Teams Championships after six rounds.

Fabrizio Giovanardi led the two Vauxhall Vectras home in today’s first race for a stunning one-two victory, the first since Knockhill’s round last September.

The Luton-based manufacturer’s domination continued in round five of the championship, as Tom Chilton enjoying an epic battle with RAC’s Tom Onslow-Cole for second place behind Giovanardi. After trading places for the final few laps, Chilton ran out of track and had to settle for third.

With a reversed grid for race three, Giovanardi and Chilton started in tenth and eighth respectively. Both drivers negotiated the rough and tumble expertly to finish in fifth and fourth place, putting VX Racing in a very strong position as it heads to Thruxton in two weeks time.

Fabrizio Giovanardi
        "I was proud to drive for Vauxhall last year but I struggled with everything. I can’t say again the same things this year because it’s a clean sheet.

“But even after today, I don’t think this is a good result; we could be better. We are looking for developing the car and I don’t think it is at the top yet. There’s more to come.”

Tom Chilton
        “I love this place; it’s exciting and I had a real adrenalin rush racing here today. It reminded me of why I love this sport.

“The team is leaving really happy, leading the Team and Manufacturers Championships and second and third in the Drivers. When a car’s quick on one circuit it’s generally quick everywhere but we do run different tyres at Thruxton and we’ll have no opportunity to test them. We’ll have to work really hard to set it up at Thruxton.”

Ian Harrison, VX Racing's Team Principal
        "We've got a winning ethic at VX Racing and we don't come here to finish second. Everybody's hard work has paid off; from the drawing office, design staff, the guys in the factory, the race crew and the drivers obviously, everybody has done a great job. This is what we do it for; it's why we put the hours in."

Mike Nicholson, VX Racing Operations Manager
        “I think we learned a lot at Brands Hatch. You can test all winter but a race meeting shows you a lot of new things. The car here, even with maximum success ballast on, was still able to keep the others behind. It shows the chassis is very good and it’s relatively kind to its tyres.

BTCC Drivers Championship 2007
        1. Jason Plato (72); 2. Fabrizio Giovanardi (56); 3. Tom Chilton (4

BTCC Manufacturers Championship
        1. Vauxhall (139); 2. SEAT (107)

BTCC Teams Championship
        1. VX Racing (102); 2. SEAT Sport UK (92); 3. Team Halfords (57)

BTCC Provisional Round 4 Race Result
        1. Fabrizio Giovanardi (Vauxhall Vectra); 2. Tom Chilton (Vauxhall Vectra); 3. Jason Plato (SEAT Leon); 4. Gordon Shedden (Honda Civic); 5. Matt Neal (Honda Civic); 6. Mike Jordan (Honda Integra)

BTCC Provisional Round 5 Race Result
        1. Fabrizio Giovanardi (Vauxhall Vectra); 2. Tom Onslow-Cole (BMW 320si E90); 3. Tom Chilton (Vauxhall Vectra); 4. Mat Jackson (BMW 320si E90); 5. Jason Plato (SEAT Leon); 6. Darren Turner (SEAT Leon)

BTCC Provisional Round 6 Race Result
        1. Jason Plato (SEAT Leon); 2. Mat Jackson (BMW 320si E90); 3. Darren Turner (SEAT Leon); 4. Tom Chilton (Vauxhall Vectra); 5. Fabrizio Giovanardi (Vauxhall Vectra); 6. Gordon Shedden (Honda Civic)

Comment

Working...
        X