X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet Wash...?

Now then..

If I jet wash my wheels say, every week, will this damage them? I don't have time to wash my car every week and want to stop brake dust settling on them so much as with black wheels it looks horrendous... I've heard of jet washing damaging cars on here paintwise, causing lacquer to peel etc. Hmmmm.

Cheers,
    Leyton

Cant see it being to much of an issue to be honest but heard bilberry and the like can discolour brake calipers after a while

Comment

Hi Lavxr, Answer these questions and people will be able to help you out loads

What kind of wheels are they?

Do you have any sort of protection on them already? (i.e Wax, Sealant)

Do you use any other products to wash them with? (not just jet wash?)

Obsessed is a word that the lazy use to describe the dedicated!

Comment

I wash my car every two weeks with AG Wheel Cleaner, but its an absolutely sod to get the brake dust off. I have black 18's, just the standard ones. I waxed them just over a month ago along with the rest of the car.

Comment

Right there is 2 types of AG wheels cleaner 1 a bit more acidic and the other isnt.

If you do lots of heavy braking you will always struggle to get brake dust off, its caked on as such, do you agitate it with a wheel brush, i use 2 different types if that helps the autogylm 1 and the megs 1 for inside wheels.

Lots of different things you maybe over looking mate, what did you wax them with etc, high temp paste wax like FK1000p

Comment

Tell you what... Why don't you tell me what to get for the best way to clean them? haha. I have both, but I normally use Custom wheel cleaner i think. I also have a brush to agitate it with, which does help a lot but the inside of the wheels just get plastered in it, and i never brake hard unless i have to.

Comment

Put x2 coats of wax on you alloys and unless you are a track day driver your normal car wash shampoo should be all you need to clean them.

If you alloys are in a bad state to start off with i suggest you use a wheel cleaner and soft brush, then use a clay bar to remove the rest of the baked on dust\debris.

ag srp should be used to clean them up again (or pre-wax cleaner) and thats when you apply some wheel sealant\wax to keep them that way.

Comment

You'll be fine, just be careful if you have any stoone chips on the wheels as this could cause the lacquer to peel

Comment

As Dan says but if i am doing mine proeprly

Take all 4 wheels off

Spray each wheel with chosen cleaner (i use bilberry mixed 1:4)

Agitate dirty bits using brush and or clay and use aTardis if necessary

Rinse and Dry

SRP inside and out

Coat of FK100P

Resulting in

Comment

heres how i kept mine looking like new

pre soak with billberr wheel cleaner , leave to dwell for a few minutes and rinse off . then wash with warm soapy water and mf cloth . clay then to remove any stubborn mark like tar spots and brake dust . wash and dry .

the i use megs paint restorer followed by polish , then x2 coats of jetseal , job done . if prefered you can always add wax after jetseal for added protection .

one done the next time you wash them it`ll be easy .

few pics of lst time i did my wheels on my old car

before

avoid callipers as bilberry dulls them

during

after

Comment

That is one shiney wheel!
                      Not yet a owner of a corsa vxr... Will be come march.. roll on cheap insurance!

Comment

good examples of clean alloys

Comment

Cheers lads... So I was doing the right process sorta, just not good enough . I will take all my wheels off next time I wash my car to give them a good clean and keep them that way. The wax will help because the brake dust wont 'stick' to the alloy, thats correct isn't it? I'm learning all this cleaning malarky very slowly!

Comment

Originally posted by LAVXR View Post
                            Cheers lads... So I was doing the right process sorta, just not good enough . I will take all my wheels off next time I wash my car to give them a good clean and keep them that way. The wax will help because the brake dust wont 'stick' to the alloy, thats correct isn't it? I'm learning all this cleaning malarky very slowly!
                            no matter how clean and protected they are they will get dirty but if cleaned and protected right it`ll make any future cleaning very easy

Comment

Working...
                            X