This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotary polishers

Hey, posted about this before but now the times come to actually order one. . .

I've been looking at the silverline as I can't get over the price (£40), is this any good as I'd rather pay more and get a good rotary rather than get this, sell and and buy a better one soon.

All suggestions and price ranges welcome upto around the £200 mark.

Thanks for any advice in advance and pro's feel free to pm me with any suggestions

Dan

Originally posted by danielhoworth View Post
    Hey, posted about this before but now the times come to actually order one. . .

I've been looking at the silverline as I can't get over the price (£40), is this any good as I'd rather pay more and get a good rotary rather than get this, sell and and buy a better one soon.

All suggestions and price ranges welcome upto around the £200 mark.

Thanks for any advice in advance and pro's feel free to pm me with any suggestions

Dan
    Ive got a silverline mate and use it on the rally cars and basically crap cars.

Tbh it lasted about 2 month and then the bushes went on it, it still works but sometime goes slow then fast then flat out...

Got a a makita for doing to good jobs, infact ive got two and ones brand new

3M have just bought one out at around 200, cant go wrong with one of them mate or the makita. Well built and balanced nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by moosh View Post
      Ive got a silverline mate and use it on the rally cars and basically crap cars.

Tbh it lasted about 2 month and then the bushes went on it, it still works but sometime goes slow then fast then flat out...

Got a a makita for doing to good jobs, infact ive got two and ones brand new

3M have just bought one out at around 200, cant go wrong with one of them mate or the makita. Well built and balanced nicely.
      Fancy sellin ur second hand makita?

Comment

Fancy sellin ur second hand makita?
        nah mate they all have there uses

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=uk

http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalo...olisher_1.html

Both the shizzles

Comment

So you wouldn't rate the silverline then?

Comment

Like the look of the 3m one too

Comment

I was warned of the Silverline due to its build quailty.

I have read several reviws on the 3M rotary polisher and it doesnt look good mate.

Go for a matika, their tried and tested

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                I was warned of the Silverline due to its build quailty.

I have read several reviws on the 3M rotary polisher and it doesnt look good mate.

Go for a matika, their tried and tested
                My personnel preference on the them...
                silverline rotarys will work well for a newbie, same design as the makita but the motor is alot less refined and for £40 it's a bargain.

imo the makita 9227cb is big and heavy compared to newer rotarys on the market. I have used and owned a few over the years and find the Flex rotary, Milwaukee, and chicago puenatic are premium machines that i like.
                if you have the money the Festool is the one to have also. (not tried one yet)

I am currently using a Milwaukee AP12e and find it a joy to use, lightweight, good ergonomic design, very good spec motor and very well built like most milwaukee power tools. most of all perfect results achieved.
                Last edited by Dan_vxR; 2 August 2010, 02:40 AM.

Obsessed is a word that the lazy use to describe the dedicated!

Comment

Cheap rotarys are fine, but you need to be damn careful using a rotary against an orbital when cutting paint (using them with waxes is fine, all you will do is burn the wax up), as it will tear right into the paint when it wants to and rip out layers of top coat.

I have an equivalent to the Silverline and it's a good tool, but I found that they wear very fast and whine a lot. Also takes very little water around the speed control to ingress and make it unpredictable!

Comment

Mate from you last ask about this can i ask a question

Did you ever get round to buying a DA and using it?

Id be very scared if you was just jumping into a Rotary

Comment

Originally posted by Steve. View Post
                      Cheap rotarys are fine, but you need to be damn careful using a rotary against an orbital when cutting paint (using them with waxes is fine, all you will do is burn the wax up), as it will tear right into the paint when it wants to and rip out layers of top coat.
                      A rotary won't just do that, it takes a lot of effort to burn through. Check this video of DaveKG - www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y8vHRwiTgY

Comment

How much are you going to be using it? I have used most of the popular rotarys, by far the best IMO is the Milwalkee, its lightweight, really nice to hold and easy to work with.

I found the makita abit to heavy, and uncomfortable.

But because I will only be using a rotary rarely to do my car once and couple of mates cars I cant justify the £200 plus pads etc. So in the end I got a silverline that I got for about £35.
                        Arden Astra VXR
                        Stage 2 - 289bhp Blueflame Exhaust & Remap

Comment

So you wouldn't rate the silverline then?
                          Yeah i think its an OK machine mate if your only going to be using it 3 or 4 times a year,

If your using it often i would invest in a better machine and as Jay says Makita is a tried and tested machine and perfect for your budget. The makita was fine for Miricle and Marc to use for years so that tells you its a good machine and ive seen them in the trade since they came out and all my power tools are makita.

To me a machine with a bit of weight in it and a well balanced motor will help with correction as the weight of the machine does the cutting and not the force you have to apply to a lighter machine to get it to cut.

Trick to correction is make the machine do the work not your arms and shoulders

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphvxr View Post
                            Mate from you last ask about this can i ask a question

Did you ever get round to buying a DA and using it?

Id be very scared if you was just jumping into a Rotary
                            Yeah I did a while ago I've been using it for a while now

Comment

Originally posted by Georgy View Post
                              How much are you going to be using it? I have used most of the popular rotarys, by far the best IMO is the Milwalkee, its lightweight, really nice to hold and easy to work with.

I found the makita abit to heavy, and uncomfortable.

But because I will only be using a rotary rarely to do my car once and couple of mates cars I cant justify the £200 plus pads etc. So in the end I got a silverline that I got for about £35.
                              Originally posted by moosh View Post
                              Yeah i think its an OK machine mate if your only going to be using it 3 or 4 times a year,

If your using it often i would invest in a better machine and as Jay says Makita is a tried and tested machine and perfect for your budget. The makita was fine for Miricle and Marc to use for years so that tells you its a good machine and ive seen them in the trade since they came out and all my power tools are makita.

To me a machine with a bit of weight in it and a well balanced motor will help with correction as the weight of the machine does the cutting and not the force you have to apply to a lighter machine to get it to cut.

Trick to correction is make the machine do the work not your arms and shoulders
                              Cheers for the advice guys

Comment

Working...
                              X