This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meguiars deep crystal coating review

Ok after recieving this from meguiars to test a few weeks ago i finally got round to testing this today.

A regular customer wanted one of his cars getting ready for a show so we decided to give this a try as the lsp.

Polishes and m/fiber pads from meguiars which im messing with at the moment.

a few pics ,i phone im afraid as my camera battery was flat

standard expected 50/50 shot

the box

the contents

application

the finish

ok on to the product in use.

identical in use to C1 ,the supplied applicator was not for me and ill give my feed back on it to meguiars so switched to make up pads and this made it a breeze to apply,up to a minute cure time and then a second application left to cure for 45 minutes indoors .

in short very well packaged durability will be monitired over the coming months and i also used dodo juice supernatural hybrid wax on the bumpers for a comparison.

i'll report back in due course to see how it holds up to its claims to reduce swirl infliction etc as the owner is terrible at wash technique(if somehow your reading this Martin i told you id post this comment)

thanks for reading
    Last edited by Novus; 1 June 2011, 09:59 PM.
    Ex owner of various VXR's

Current :2017 Golf R - APR Stage 2

cost , stock , delivery time , oh and a lolly please
    HeavenlyDetail
    Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

Comment

On a serious note i read about this being showcased in Hongkong back in februay , i spoke to a guy badly i may add and if i remember correctly it is resistant upto 350 /400 degrees? Its obviously a cross bonding hydrophobic layer and i also remember it apparently and i use the term losely repeling acid rain and will not etch like standard finishes with 25% to 50% scratch resistantce>? I would think that seeing as most of the current glass technology coatings come out of asia this would be from there aswell infact id stab a guess that this c1 , cquartz etc are all in the same family and probably all made from similar chemistry , i know a massive amount of detaling products in the uk and waxes are all made in one place and relabelled.
      HeavenlyDetail

Comment

going along the lines of the C1 comments would it of not been better to do a 50/50 between this and the C1 product , giving that the owner as you said seems to have poor wash techniques it would of been an ideal test , also going along with what marc pointed out about products coming out of asia being very similar as are alot of products that are coming out now ,

don`t take this as a negative comment rob but more of a opportunity to compare one product against another , not doubting the product for one minute but i`m sure you know what i mean

Comment

Daz that wouldnt be a good test on a live car because the solvent contents may be totally different and t could leave a visible swap over down the bonnet etc , on a scrap panel maybe bt not a test on a customers car. The solvent content in these are huge hence they cure so quckly , ive actually swiped off flat red paint on a scrap bumper leaving it matt looking with a crystaline coating product , concerned me alot.
          HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Originally posted by Heavenly View Post
            Daz that wouldnt be a good test on a live car because the solvent contents may be totally different and t could leave a visible swap over down the bonnet etc , on a scrap panel maybe bt not a test on a customers car. The solvent content in these are huge hence they cure so quckly , ive actually swiped off flat red paint on a scrap bumper leaving it matt looking with a crystaline coating product , concerned me alot.
            i get what your saying now you pointed it out , maybe if the customers car wasn`t his pride and joy it would be a test worth while but i doubt any paying customer would want there car to be a test car so to speak ,

Comment

Yes , wax would be ok but bearing in mind a crystal coating requires a hard cut to remove i wouldnt want to be messing on an MX5 bonnet
              HeavenlyDetail

Comment

So this is designed to be applied by hand???

What cost are we talking??

Is it easy applied compared to other meguairs polishs
                sigpic

Comment

yes applied by hand

cost wise i`m unsure

it`s not a polish nor a sealant or wax , think of it more as a coating as in a liquid clear coat , i know theres more tech and scientific explanations but this is a quick way to describe it , think along the lines of egg shell varnish that dries very quick and leaves an even layer of a tough protective coating that should scatch during a wash ,

to the pro`s , don`t mock the eggshell varnish comment but i`m sure it`s a simple easy way to discribe how the product works
                  Last edited by Daz; 1 June 2011, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daz View Post
                    yes applied by hand

cost wise i`m unsure

it`s not a polish nor a sealant or wax , think of it more as a coating as in a liquid clear coat , i know theres more tech and scientific explanations but this is a quick way to describe it , think along the lines of egg shell varnish that dries very quick and leaves an even layer of a tough protective coating that should scatch during a wash ,

to the pro`s , don`t mock the eggshell varnish comment but i`m sure it`s a simple easy way to discribe how the product works
                    I think I'll give this a miss then as I like to wash my car...
                    HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Originally posted by Daz View Post
                      going along the lines of the C1 comments would it of not been better to do a 50/50 between this and the C1 product , giving that the owner as you said seems to have poor wash techniques it would of been an ideal test , also going along with what marc pointed out about products coming out of asia being very similar as are alot of products that are coming out now ,

don`t take this as a negative comment rob but more of a opportunity to compare one product against another , not doubting the product for one minute but i`m sure you know what i mean
                      HI Daz,no not a negative comment at all and understand the thought behind but after using alot of C1 and understanding the benefits and limitations(although few) are i wanted to put it up against something that is also newish but a more traditional product and claims good durability to see how it fairs if that makes sense so chose the hybrid supernatural.
                      I do work often for this particular owner so i will be able to keep a very close eye on how things progress.

with regard to cost and possible availability i will be speaking to meguiars today so hope to have some info then.
                      Ex owner of various VXR's

Current :2017 Golf R - APR Stage 2

Comment

Interesting

It seems and also from reading Detailing world this is the way forward and moving away from waxes and sealents or is that jumping the gun a bit ?

If it protects the ability to create swirls with washing techniques then thats surely a good thing but i am always sceptical of stuff like this cause for me it more for people who want total protection ? not for people that show cars ?

Most people who have cars detailed on a regular basis will work on a 3-6 month time scale ? so what benifit is this or is it simply just to reduce swirls ?

Comment

Originally posted by Novus View Post
                          HI Daz,no not a negative comment at all and understand the thought behind but after using alot of C1 and understanding the benefits and limitations(although few) are i wanted to put it up against something that is also newish but a more traditional product and claims good durability to see how it fairs if that makes sense so chose the hybrid supernatural.
                          I do work often for this particular owner so i will be able to keep a very close eye on how things progress.

with regard to cost and possible availability i will be speaking to meguiars today so hope to have some info then.
                          i can feel a monthly review coming on here

nice work Rob and look forward to seeing how this progresses .
                          i think 2010 and 2011 has been a great year for new products and no doubt they`ll be plenty more to follow seen as detailing is getting more and more popular .

Comment

hi everybody! i am serkan from turkey. in turkey coating-carcare companies are very poor and i need a help about an information of Meguiars m188 deep crystal coating. is it safe for car color? it is said in a weblink that ''after 2 months,car white color turned to light yellow. is there anybody who suggests to use m188 for coating and that have experience who used m188? tnx a lot

Comment

Working...
                            X