Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First attempt at Sealant... Impressed...!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • First attempt at Sealant... Impressed...!

    So after much umming and ahhing i finally took the plunge and went for a pot of sealant.

    Car was snowed, washed 2BM with citrus wash, quickly clayed (bonnet and roof only (lazy i know but i couldn't really be bothered inbetween the rain )), washed down and dried. Then it rained and i dried again, Polished the bonnet with DA using Menz compound pad and 3.02. Then it rained again

    Car dried again, Bonnet and spoiler polished with Sonus SFX2 pad and 3.02 then finished with finishing and menz finishing whateveritis...

    The rest of the car was then given a treat to everyones favourite; SRP. I know that its not ideal but it did a job and i didn't have the time to DA the whole car

    Anyway, all wiped down and then onto glaze and seal.
    Glaze was CG Mirror wet finish applied on Hex Blue, Sealant was CG "Extreme top coat sealant + 3x Carnauba" applied with Sonus Black pad. Applied by DA to all panels excl roof (i didn't have my hop up so couldn't do it ) and by hand to wing mirrors, bumpers, boot & Roof. Then did another quick layer of sealant on the bonnet by DA (its too easy not too!)

    Didn't take any before or during as it was raining on and off... So.... Final results

    One of the bustard clouds i was racing against...


    All done... Looked amazingly spangley (wet and shiny and ) and the metallic fleck was really popping; maybe through polish maybe through product or just the evening sun (it was 745ish by the time i finished!). Either way...







    Love this picture...





















































    And then it showered... So some beading... one of which will make its way into the shinearama comp (Yes i know a lot of the same... but i loved the fleck through the bubble and the shadow and the photographic look ) Some also taken on Sunday when it rained again.



















    To prove its not camera trickery... some taken with my Nokia N8







    And this morning...





    Other items picked up sunday; door shuts and under the bonnet all wiped down and clean, glass wiped over inside and out and bumpers/trim/tyres dressed Now looks like a proper job

    So yeah, that's that. Generally speaking my first experience with Sealant was one that i'm proud of; the car looks wicked and i can't wait to add another layer. The sealant went on really easy (guess the DA helped with that) and came off easily too. I don't know if i used enough/too much or applied correctly but thats something you only really learn with time and experience so as it stands i'm pretty chuffed

    Comments welcome, as always.
    Originally posted by Bobbyp90
    Yes Tom! You're a freaking genius!
    sigpic
    Corsa "user guide" , VXR Car Game
    South East Regional Organiser

    PSN: TomFL12

  • #2
    Very impressed with the shine.....Those beading shots are the dogs

    Comment


    • #3
      Now you know i like to talk about this so here goes

      I didnt enjoy my 1st experience of a sealent but maybe this was because i didnt use the DA to apply and to be fair i dont see what benifits you applying a LSP with a DA, maybe i need to look more into this cause i would have thought applying it with a DA could mean all your doing is thinning the application etc but as i said i aint looked into this properly and both myself and Graeme both prefere waxes.

      To be honest Tom your car paint always looks pretty good in all the pics you post so i dont think the sealent has actually made it look any better as you well know its all in the prep work etc, it will enhance it sure but maybe i am just set in my ways when it comes to detailing etc.

      Might have to pop up next time you apply your 2nd coat and see for myself cause i didnt enjoy my Black light exp and as i said to you that you can borrow the tube off me cause i cant see me using it again

      Comment


      • #4
        Looks great!

        Fancy a trip down south to do mine :P

        Comment


        • #5
          Looks lovely mate and some effort put in there! The neighbours would have been saying is he still cleaning his car??¬!

          Ralph mate i wasnt a big fan of black light either but a friend of mine liked it so he adopted it, I thought it was pants...

          Comment


          • #6
            looks great Tom.

            On the topic of blacklight, im unsure on it to be honest. On the one hand it looked great another time not so. cant make my mind up.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by watoo vxr View Post
              Very impressed with the shine.....Those beading shots are the dogs
              Cheers

              Originally posted by Ralphvxr View Post
              Now you know i like to talk about this so here goes

              I didnt enjoy my 1st experience of a sealent but maybe this was because i didnt use the DA to apply and to be fair i dont see what benifits you applying a LSP with a DA, maybe i need to look more into this cause i would have thought applying it with a DA could mean all your doing is thinning the application etc but as i said i aint looked into this properly and both myself and Graeme both prefere waxes.

              To be honest Tom your car paint always looks pretty good in all the pics you post so i dont think the sealent has actually made it look any better as you well know its all in the prep work etc, it will enhance it sure but maybe i am just set in my ways when it comes to detailing etc.

              Might have to pop up next time you apply your 2nd coat and see for myself cause i didnt enjoy my Black light exp and as i said to you that you can borrow the tube off me cause i cant see me using it again
              The benefit of using a DA in my eyes is that it is a hellll of a lot quicker and easier, coupled with being an even application of LSP. I would never apply wax in this fashion but for sealant it was a piece of cake.

              The paint is in good general condition but as with all paint could always do with some extra love; i haven't used a couple of pics because where i didn't DA the rear quarter there are a few nasty looking swirls They're next

              By all means pop up mate, i know the prep work counts for a lot but.... i like it

              Originally posted by Mr-Ponting View Post
              Looks great!

              Fancy a trip down south to do mine :P
              Cheers As for the road trip i honestly think that anyone can achieve the results i have; i only started detailing 18 months ago and only got my DA 8 months ago. It's a steep learning curve but once you start you'll only ever get better

              Originally posted by moosh View Post
              Looks lovely mate and some effort put in there! The neighbours would have been saying is he still cleaning his car??¬!

              Ralph mate i wasnt a big fan of black light either but a friend of mine liked it so he adopted it, I thought it was pants...
              There was yeah, not as much effort as i could have but enough My neighbour did tell me that he didn't want to see me still out when he got home... this is when he went out at 730

              I like the finish of the sealant; looks very glassy and

              Originally posted by YTVXR View Post
              looks great Tom.

              On the topic of blacklight, im unsure on it to be honest. On the one hand it looked great another time not so. cant make my mind up.
              Cheers mate
              Originally posted by Bobbyp90
              Yes Tom! You're a freaking genius!
              sigpic
              Corsa "user guide" , VXR Car Game
              South East Regional Organiser

              PSN: TomFL12

              Comment


              • #8
                Maybe i needed to apply it with a DA, i only put 1 coat on it cause i found it was 50% longer to apply then a wax woudl have taken.

                Hmmmmmm

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ralphvxr View Post
                  Maybe i needed to apply it with a DA, i only put 1 coat on it cause i found it was 50% longer to apply then a wax woudl have taken.

                  Hmmmmmm
                  By hand maybe. Consider that the sealant doesn't need a curing time so can be DA's on, move to next panel, finish, buff all.... Works good
                  Originally posted by Bobbyp90
                  Yes Tom! You're a freaking genius!
                  sigpic
                  Corsa "user guide" , VXR Car Game
                  South East Regional Organiser

                  PSN: TomFL12

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Tom_Y2K4 View Post
                    Cheers As for the road trip i honestly think that anyone can achieve the results i have; i only started detailing 18 months ago and only got my DA 8 months ago. It's a steep learning curve but once you start you'll only ever get better
                    Don't really know where to start with a DA tbh :/
                    So many different pads, compounds etc, I'll have to look into it more

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mr-Ponting View Post
                      Don't really know where to start with a DA tbh :/
                      So many different pads, compounds etc, I'll have to look into it more
                      I can honestly say that this... http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polish.../prod_720.html is (IMO) a great starting place

                      It's what i got and there's enough polish to learn and not too much to have to keep using it if you dont like it
                      Originally posted by Bobbyp90
                      Yes Tom! You're a freaking genius!
                      sigpic
                      Corsa "user guide" , VXR Car Game
                      South East Regional Organiser

                      PSN: TomFL12

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Tom_Y2K4 View Post
                        Cheers



                        The benefit of using a DA in my eyes is that it is a hellll of a lot quicker and easier, coupled with being an even application of LSP. I would never apply wax in this fashion but for sealant it was a piece of cake.

                        The paint is in good general condition but as with all paint could always do with some extra love; i haven't used a couple of pics because where i didn't DA the rear quarter there are a few nasty looking swirls They're next

                        By all means pop up mate, i know the prep work counts for a lot but.... i like it



                        Cheers As for the road trip i honestly think that anyone can achieve the results i have; i only started detailing 18 months ago and only got my DA 8 months ago. It's a steep learning curve but once you start you'll only ever get better



                        There was yeah, not as much effort as i could have but enough My neighbour did tell me that he didn't want to see me still out when he got home... this is when he went out at 730

                        I like the finish of the sealant; looks very glassy and



                        Cheers mate
                        Yeah mate i like sealants and glazes to mate but just on Ralphs point about black light, i wasnt a fan but if Ralph may be tried some other stuff he might get along with it better.

                        DA all the way for applying them and you can almost work them right in so buffing it off is a lot less work...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by moosh View Post
                          Yeah mate i like sealants and glazes to mate but just on Ralphs point about black light, i wasnt a fan but if Ralph may be tried some other stuff he might get along with it better.

                          DA all the way for applying them and you can almost work them right in so buffing it off is a lot less work...
                          See that's what confused/worried me. I didn't have a clue on amount/application technique/working speed/working time, etc so pretty much went on a whim

                          Five reasonable size blobs, pressed as i would polish and then worked on speed 1 and passed over prob 3 times in each direction. As you say pretty much worked to nothingness then buffed off and Boom lol
                          Originally posted by Bobbyp90
                          Yes Tom! You're a freaking genius!
                          sigpic
                          Corsa "user guide" , VXR Car Game
                          South East Regional Organiser

                          PSN: TomFL12

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I dont mind trying any new product or other products

                            Its only you moosh that wont use anything but DODO

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Ralphvxr View Post
                              I dont mind trying any new product or other products

                              Its only you moosh that wont use anything but DODO
                              Nah nah brother i have a lot more stuff that just my beloved dodo range, i have a fair amount of chemical guys kit as well, im a product wh0re me

                              I'll show you mine if you show me yours?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X