X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Astra VXR - Correction

Part 1

I spent about 15hours detailing my car these couple of days :buffer: It hadn't been machined in about a year and with the Summer eventually coming I thought best get cracking.

Process:

Bilberry wheels
    citrus power
    Washed
    ironx & AF obliTARate
    rewashed
    clayed and then rewashed
    dried
    machined with CG Hex orange & white with megs 105 & 205 (10hours)
    snowfoamed
    washed
    dried
    AB cherry glaze
    2 layers of Zymol Concours
    z8 wipe down
    tires
    glass
    DONE!!!

Anyway onto the pictures and I warn you there are a lot

The car had been washed earlier that weekend (started the main detail Monday evening). Still looking pretty clean just a bit dusty.

Hit the wheels first

CQuartz after a month for the fronts

Planet Polish on the rears

Onto the wash and Sonax PNS & QD beeding lovely

Love the tree reflection in the biggest water droplet

Sprayed the car down with Citrus power, sorry no picture on the car

Washed with Hydro and carpro mitt

Wiped the lower half of the car with AF obliTARate, hosed down and then applied my remaining ironx and used AB purple rain. Again rinsed down and rewashed, dried.

Then bought some new clay that everyone bangs on about. Was weird using with just water but I just had to break out the lube for a guarantee, didn't notice too much degradation from using it. I had clayed the car about 2months ago so didn't expect much

Roof and upper panels were basically spotless pointless for a pic but from lower and near arches

Then I tried some of the cheap 3m Ben aka B17BLG gave us a link too :thumb: thanks for that.

Then it was tucked up for tomorrow's task

Last edited by piemp_vxr; 2nd June 2013, 12:08 PM.
    BLACK VXR CS stage 3, 3" Scorpion, Forge FMIC, Ksports, Quaife LSD, Revos, 3 Gauge, Dynabeams, Forge recirc & actuator, DAP-Rs, RARB, Team Heko's, Percy Cdti, cool running thermostat, Blue SMD's and white LED number plate bulbs.
    **Progress thread here!**

Part 2

I had LC pads but didn't along very well with them and wanted to try new pads and polish so I bought CG Hex Orange and white with Megs 105 & 205 combo.

Priming the new pad

First I tried using the cutting pad with 205 which worked okay but then I tried 205 first which worked a treat and refined with white pad with 205. My first 2 stage polishing. I started polishing the car from about 10am and finished about 8pm to say I wasn't knackered by the end was an understatement

Bonnet complete

Drivers side

Looking really nice

Moving up now

I had to do the concave bit by hand just to refine it a bit better

Sorry roof was very hard for pictures as it was tipping it down outside and I had to use my LED torch for guidance.

The rear was in a bit of a state, not sure if the 3M would effect the marring more compared to the BH clay?!

Much better

Some RDS that I couldn't shift

Boot lid

For the smaller areas I moved to a 3" backing plate with LC blue & red pads

So you get most the idea by now passenger side was done. Only the front bumper was done by hand as I ran out of time and I was shattered! Car was then moved outside for a snowfoam to get rid of all that polish dust.

OMG!!:argie: Certainly put a smile on my face

Rewashed with Hydro and dried, getting pretty late now so put her back inside for glazing then bed, waxing had to wait till tomorrow

Last edited by piemp_vxr; 2nd June 2013, 12:09 PM.
    BLACK VXR CS stage 3, 3" Scorpion, Forge FMIC, Ksports, Quaife LSD, Revos, 3 Gauge, Dynabeams, Forge recirc & actuator, DAP-Rs, RARB, Team Heko's, Percy Cdti, cool running thermostat, Blue SMD's and white LED number plate bulbs.

Comment

Part 3 Dam you limit amount of characters

I had Prima Amigo but I bought some AB stuff on their 12 days of Xmas so had to try it, smelt amazing. Left for 20mins and then buffed off.

Up early to apply this magically stuff, dream to work with and again smells lovely! I applied one layer left to gas off for an hour before coming back and applying another layer.

Put PNS on the arches just because thought be bit better as a sealant

Tires and windows dressed

Inner lip

Final wipe down with Z8

So finally if you got this far thanks for reading this was a big old slog but well worth it all ready for a big meet this weekend, PVS and hopefully waxstock. :thumb:

Here we go...

My Favourites

Last edited by piemp_vxr; 2nd June 2013, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Just insane you know i love your car so this thread makes me happy stunning as always great job and top effort! Clearly worth it
        FOR SALE click HERE CARBON BURG EDITION B PILLARS

Comment

your's will be like that soon, you giving it to Gaz again? Wax or Exo?

Comment

Brilliant read mate, looks epic.

How did you find working 105 with orange on Vauxhall paint? Someone said it would be a bit too harsh as Vauxhall paint is soft?

Comment

Originally posted by coreythorny View Post
              Brilliant read mate, looks epic.

How did you find working 105 with orange on Vauxhall paint? Someone said it would be a bit too harsh as Vauxhall paint is soft?
              cheers Corey took an hour to bloody write the thing

Well I'm no pro and don't have a depth gauge so can't exactly say how many microns I took away. I felt using a DA I needed to work it much longer and once finished and buffed, it needed ever so slightly more refining so reason why I went back with 205

Comment

Originally posted by piemp_vxr View Post
                cheers Corey took an hour to bloody write the thing

Well I'm no pro and don't have a depth gauge so can't exactly say how many microns I took away. I felt using a DA I needed to work it much longer and once finished and buffed, it needed ever so slightly more refining so reason why I went back with 205
                Yeah, I used a orange with 105 them white with 205 on my S3 and as you say, the 105 does leave polishing marks etc.
                I need to re-do mine I think, still didnt get all the marks out. Just need more passes and put more time into it

Comment

WOW, my black VXR needs some love!

Comment

Lovely job mate

Comment

Wow what a result! Bloody lovely shine on that mate, all the effort you put into it was well worth it!

Seriously need to get my car detailed after seeing this
                      Astra Edition #105
                      Courtenay Sport Stage 3|K04 Hybrid Turbo|Forge Intercooler|Collins Dump Valve|Courtenay Actuator and Top Hat|Crossover Delete with Panel Filter|Oil Restrictor Bolt|Cool Running Thermostat|DAP R's|KSport 8 pot Brakes|Remus|Quaife LSD|Mtech Short Shifter|RARB|Retrofit AFL's and Cruise Control|3 Gauge Conversion|Red and Blue SMD|Heko deflectors|Eonon Double Din

Comment

Originally posted by coreythorny View Post
                        Yeah, I used a orange with 105 them white with 205 on my S3 and as you say, the 105 does leave polishing marks etc.
                        I need to re-do mine I think, still didnt get all the marks out. Just need more passes and put more time into it
                        yeah exactly once I noticed that I was off, its finding the right balance. Could have probably gone more but thats adding to the time which I was running out of.

Originally posted by OllyP View Post
                        WOW, my black VXR needs some love!
                        machining certainly takes the car shine to another level but we all know that doesnt last long with a black car

Originally posted by Ross 2219 View Post
                        Lovely job mate
                        Originally posted by L3E_A_X View Post
                        Wow what a result! Bloody lovely shine on that mate, all the effort you put into it was well worth it!

Seriously need to get my car detailed after seeing this
                        Thanks

Comment

Nice work Andy!

3M clay mars like he'll but shifts grime very well indeed! I would only clay the car with that if I'm machine polishing after!

3 inch backing plate and pads are good for the tight areas!

Top result mate!

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by B17BLG View Post
                            Nice work Andy!

3M clay mars like he'll but shifts grime very well indeed! I would only clay the car with that if I'm machine polishing after!

3 inch backing plate and pads are good for the tight areas!

Top result mate!

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2
                            Thanks Ben.

Yeah think your right as I noticed a lot more maring on the rear where I used the 3M clay. Bilthamber was much better. Yeah done the main areas first then moved onto the small tight spots.

Glad its done tho very happy with it at the moment

Comment

Right sorry about not being able to view the images, put them on a couple of other forums dam bandwidth

And there it goes again noted less pictures next time
                              Last edited by piemp_vxr; 6th June 2013, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X