This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAINT THICKNESS ?

Have been talking to a friend Paul Dalton today ( www.miracledetail.co.uk )and hopefully when car arrives we are meeting up and he is going to look at paintwork and paintwork correction if required......
    The car will have zymol Detail wax applied to all plastic parts and then 5 layers of concours wax (he recommends a maximum of 10) in 24 hour intervals...
    I am really interested to find out about this paint problem with vxrs that keeps cropping up.....
    Has any one actually had a paint thickness test done in microns?
    Has anyone also multi layers of wax and how are they finding chipping?

QUESTION ASKED IN DETAILING WORLD FOLLOW HERE:
    http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/show...854#post193854
    HeavenlyDetail
    Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

I had mine done and it was avg 70 microns ...

Comment

wow...
      Bearing in mind that 1000 microns = 1mm thats not a lot..
      An average clear coat from factory from my understanding is normally 10 - 15 microns thick so it wont take much for a small stone to penetrate that......
      HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Paint thickness on my Arden Blue Astra varies between 68um at the thinnest area I've found up to 134um at the thickest area.

Stone chipping is a part of Vauxhall ownership I'm afraid, paint is shockingly poor at preventing stone chips, just far too soft, I had my 05 Signum front end re-laquered using a harder laquer with ceramic beads in the laquer, same as Mercedes use, just about cured stone chip woe's.
        Multi layering waxes is fine to do but if you read DW posts concerning multi layering you'll find that anything over 3 layers usually fails to build any further depth of wax and becomes increasingly poor to achieve a long lasting finish

Comment

I used to have a corsa which was part ex for my vxr, it was gold. The car was 3 1/2 yrs old at exchange with 35k on clock, the front of the car needed an entire re spray, there was as much paint NOT on the car as there was on it. It was like throwing grit all over it when it was wet and everywhere the grit sticks was where paint was missing. We have to face our cars will look a mess after a couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbieben
            Paint thickness on my Arden Blue Astra varies between 68um at the thinnest area I've found up to 134um at the thickest area.

Stone chipping is a part of Vauxhall ownership I'm afraid, paint is shockingly poor at preventing stone chips, just far too soft, I had my 05 Signum front end re-laquered using a harder laquer with ceramic beads in the laquer, same as Mercedes use, just about cured stone chip woe's.
            Multi layering waxes is fine to do but if you read DW posts concerning multi layering you'll find that anything over 3 layers usually fails to build any further depth of wax and becomes increasingly poor to achieve a long lasting finish
            God youve just read my mind...pm,d you in dw 1 min ago...haha
            HeavenlyDetail

Comment

And have just read this on dw.....
              Possible good setup for met black vauxhall paint....
              Fantastic shine..
              http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17911
              HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Originally posted by vxrmarc
                And have just read this on dw.....
                Possible good setup for met black vauxhall paint....
                Fantastic shine..
                http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17911
                Hey Marc......ask Paul about his opinion on my M3

Paul's opinion was dynamite and he proved that BMW had totally ****** up the paintwork on my car, just by using his Paint Meter.

Here's the link my old M3

Now BMW would have you believe that this level of paintwork is fine and that there is nothing wrong with it. But this is the condition of my BRAND NEW CAR, and exactly as it appeared the day after I picked it up. But BMW wouldnt budge on their opinion.

[/url][/code]

Comment

Wow i looked at those photos last night on pauls site and have been on the phone to him today about meeting up for a few beers. He was at guildford porsche today doing my reps new gt3 , his wifes new boxster and his sons new carrera gt all paid for by his son......
                  Paul spent 6 hours machineing the silver gt3 and said that it was so shiny it looked white.....
                  He really knows his stuff and i doubt there is anyone worldwide who could diagnose or correct paintwork like he can. I feel for the money he charges you are achieveing a work of art that no one else could possibly achieve and paul is going to do any paintwork correction on my vxr when it turns up....
                  How many other detailers do you know that have done 4 ferrari enzos and bugatti veyrons?
                  He has some surprises for the vxr aswell which could have something to do with a very special pot of wax..........
                  When i speak to him tommorow i,ll ask him and give him this link!!!
                  HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Have read through his site quite a few times and really impressed with his work. I've only just got into detailing since the VXR and have to say it is becoming a little obsession, and one in which I am learning so much I couldn't believe it. When I first came across Paul's site it was almost inspirational, and it was from his site that I started looking into the Zymol products.

Wonder if he would do a workshop day? If only.....

Ps Marc, don't forget those before and after piccies.

Pps. Going back to earlier post about multi layers of wax, I've currently got 3 layers of Zymol Carbon on mine and there hasn't been any change in the amount of stone chipping I'm getting, although I'm sure a higher carnauba based wax/glaze (vintage/royale) would make a difference.

Comment

Im not so sure about that with stone chipping...
                      Paul is a mastercraftsman in this field and if a paint is soft it is soft...end of!!

I think a sealent would possibly give a slightly better protection than a carnauba but really it has to be driving style to try and stop them imho...

Paul also told me that Honda have the same problems with their paintwork and if you want nil chips go film...

Concours can be layered upto 10 times although im not sure if you can spit shine the concours with a cold qd i would prefer to give 24 hour intervals but paul said royal would only give about 4 layers....the wax goes on so thinly that he gets 180 cars done with1 pot of zymol royale which as we all know is £7110 but hey whats that between friends!!!!

I will be taking about 3000 photos of the car during the paintwork correction stages and waxing as to see paul work is facinating......

Paul has asked me to go on some details with him to do the photography as he cannot work and get photos at the same time......Ferrari enzo? Bugatti veyron? no ill turn him down and go fishing....NOT.

**** march 1st seems miles away...c,mon c,mon!!!!!!!

yesterday i told you paul was doing friends carrera gt......he has just e-mailed pics oh my god WHAT A CAR!!!!!

http://www.miracledetail.co.uk/auto-...2&imageID=2137

If he can do that to a silver car what can he do to arden blue..........?
                      HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Further to this i have been sent a pm from the moderator of dw and he has managed to see and test an arden blue vxr today....
                        The paint thickness on this individual car was as per his post:

Marc I got my hands on an arden blue VXR today - a good 130-140 microns all round

I then asked him his opinion on the paint and how well it would polish/wax up with zymol :

At the moment it looks good but can be improve upon. Its booked in for a spring detail.

Due to the light blue colour the brinkman didn't pick up too many swirls but it wasn't exactly swirl tastic anyway. Owner said the roof was bad!

Its never going to have the 'bling' of say a black car but I reckon with some zymol or a bling sealant like zaino it will look top notch. Very nice cars and nice interior. Some of the body mouldings look a bit complex for polishing mind!

So it aint paint thickness causing stone chips in my opinion!!!
                        HeavenlyDetail

Comment

i need mine doing ready for the summer i'm willing to pay but not £5k

upto £150 i think for a top notch job.

PM sent to vxrmarc

Comment

Originally posted by alex_c
                            i need mine doing ready for the summer i'm willing to pay but not £5k

upto £150 i think for a top notch job.

PM sent to vxrmarc
                            I'm hoping to get a detailing day sorted in the new year through www.astra.sri.co.uk
                            this thread http://astra-sri.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=16899
                            I look after the detailing side on the forum, you are more than welcome to attend, just add your name to the list in the detailing section. I also do paint correction and detailing at more realistic prices

Comment

Robbie can you post the same on VXRonline as I don't use astra-sri - thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X