Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

detailing!!! can someone please explain to me.....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• detailing!!! can someone please explain to me.....

what is involved in cleaning a car properly???

i mean, i clean my car once a week, polish it about once a month.....

but what is all this waxing, sealing, polishing???? forgive me for being ignorant but i thought it was all the same.

i normally wash my car with megs or autglym shampoo, using a megs wash mit, then i rinse and dry it with a megs water magnet.

if im gonna polish it i will then set about it with auto glym polish.

on my other cars every now and again i'll stick a coat off extra gloss protection on.

can anyone please educate me, in laymans terms what i SHOULD be doing.

thanx alot
    stage 2 vxr

[email protected]

This is Marc (vxrmarc)'s fav subject.

My car is lucky to get washed once a month in the winter - summer it is every week. Will all change when the husband gets back! he can freeze washing it!!

Comment

there is a section on here in the detailing part where it tells you all about it
      sigpic
      stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
      M.U.F.C.
      http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

I'll tell you all I know (which isn’t a lot)

If you want to detail your car properly then you need to buy Porter Cable 7424, for short a PC.

Basically it’s a dual-action polisher so it won’t damage your paint.
        This is what I’m buying in the summer as my car is covered in swirl marks. I've heard that Poorboys SSR2 is one of the best polishes for de-swirling.

Your car will look perfect after you have polished it with the above. This I believe is the primary use of a polish, so people who just polish there cars, there’s no real point. Use a glaze, Megs #7. Glazes don't have any abrasive compounds like polishes but they give the car a great wet look shine. So use a glaze as it does what polish does but it’s safer. The wax and sealing stuff I have no idea about.

Oh and use a lambs wool wash mit and not a sponge, 2 buckets and not 1

Please correct me if im wrong about some stuff.

Hope this helps
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DargY
          I'll tell you all I know (which isn’t a lot)

If you want to detail your car properly then you need to buy Porter Cable 7424, for short a PC.

Basically it’s a dual-action polisher so it won’t damage your paint.
          This is what I’m buying in the summer as my car is covered in swirl marks. I've heard that Poorboys SSR2 is one of the best polishes for de-swirling.

Your car will look perfect after you have polished it with the above. This I believe is the primary use of a polish, so people who just polish there cars, there’s no real point. Use a glaze, Megs #7. Glazes don't have any abrasive compounds like polishes but they give the car a great wet look shine. So use a glaze as it does what polish does but it’s safer. The wax and sealing stuff I have no idea about.

Oh and use a lambs wool wash mit and not a sponge, 2 buckets and not 1

Please correct me if im wrong about some stuff.

Hope this helps
          Howdee partners....

My only comments and really you should read DAVE KG detailing guides in Detailing section:

Wash mitts.....

I have used wash mitts for a long time and have many but am now using a zymol sponge (£5) due to advice from Paul Dalton and personal testing!!!

My reasons for this and not everyone will agree are

1. With a wash mitt the idea behind it is that any grit or debris that is on the paintwork when rubbed with a wash mitt will in theory be swallowed up into the lambswool and render it harmless against the paint work thus preventing scratching!!

My theory is this:

I tested a washmitt a few weeks ago afetr using it and tried to find any debris in it and actually cut one up.....I also used a knit comb and was gobsmacked about how much grit was in the mitt buried and by rubbing it hard the grit came out.........I do not want that to happen at some stage during my wash process even though i use a two bucket method and have grit guards installed....

I asked Paul Dalton about this for advice and he stated that in 12 years of detailing enzos , bugattis , mclarens he has NEVER used a wash mitt but always used a sponge....

His reasons were that with a zymol sponge they are made slightly differently (aswell as the natural sea sponges he uses ) they have no silicon in them and also you can see whats on the sponge before reapplying to paintwork......

I DO use mitts on lower half of car and use a beige one for under door panels and sideskirts and a black one for wheels but for bodywork i now only use a sponge.....

This is my view and not everyone will agree...

With regards to waxing i believe that it is really important for the bodywork to be protected by a good wax or sealent as well as for asthetics but regarding pc,s and rotarys pm robbieben as this is his main field and not something i get involved in........This is simply because i choose not to do paintwork restoration and i could not warrant buying a pc or rotary to do my own car because i would wear the paintwork off in 6 months as i am fanatical im afraid.......
          HeavenlyDetail
          Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

Comment

i will stick to a dirty vxr sounds like hardwork to me :wink:

Comment

Its not its fun...

It all depends on what you think or am willing to do...

I love a constantly shiny car....

Ilove going to a petrol station and seeing my car shine and people look at it....

I love people asking me what i use....

I love my cars so much that i have extended my garage by 7 foot and lost an alleyway and now have a galley kitchen......no joke!
              HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Whats wrong with just sticking it through a weekly Arc or Tesco jet wash??????

I only like polishing and that in the summer.

Comment

GET HER

OMG!!!
                  HeavenlyDetail

Comment

I feel the same. Hey xtc why not justget a scouring pad, and use the green bit to wash the car, that will get the dirt off...

Comment

Originally posted by Arden_One
                      I feel the same. Hey xtc why not justget a scouring pad, and use the green bit to wash the car, that will get the dirt off...
                      But that means I would have to clean it then!!!

I wish we had nice weather all year and then I would be in for all the weekly cleaning, summer dont mind at all... winter another story completly. [/u][/i][/b]

Comment

Now im feeling suicidal!

Just popping to the garage.......

shat forgot its not here yet...
                        HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Originally posted by vxrmarc
                          Now im feeling suicidal!

Just popping to the garage.......

shat forgot its not here yet...
                          To make you feel better you can clean my car for me in the spring... I then promise to keep it clean all summer *

*only if the weather stays sunny and warm - wet and cold days = mel not washing her car! unless hubby will do it then!!!!

Comment

Mel i will come up and pamper your bluens every needs.....
                            HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Im very fussy about keeping my car looking clean and shiny and my cleaning product collection is still small, but is gradually growing.

The only problem i have is that i only really have spare time and the weekend to clean my VXR, and at this time of the year it does get very dirty - i try my best tho.

I have to say tho, once i get strated on it, thats it, im there for ages
                              sigpic
                              My VXR from Start to Finish

Gone but not forgotten - one of the original crew

Comment

Working...
                              X