This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• washed microfibre causing swirls!!!

i was just about to wash the car today and remembered seeing something about testing a microfibre cloth on a new c.d to see if it caused swirls.,and guess what?
    i tested 2 new cloths and 2 that had been washed.
    the 2 new put zero scratches on a c.d.
    the washed 2 put loads of scratchs on a c.d!!!
    i have only used the washed microfibre cloths once.
    is it likely to be dirt that has not been washed out or has been washed in from other items in the wash?
    or is it possible to make the fibres to harsh so they scratch?

the micofibre cloths are from asda 80 odd pence each(cheap skate i know,but they look identical to ones that cost £4 ).

Did you use powder in your wash as not all the powder gets disolved apparantly. I only use liquid capsules on my cloths and dont have many swirls, never tried the CD test though.

Comment

Trust me 80p to £4 is a massive difference as i bet 1. they are 70/30 makeup and not 80/20 and also will have been manufactured totally differently........

You do get what you pay for...

I bought 10 off ebay to try and tested them on fine silica panels at work along with my zymol ones and i have to say they shredded a panel from just 10 rubs back and forth and zymols didnt.....

Whats £4 compared to a SCRATCH...

Also dont know about your washing instructions but has to be washed in certain powders according to product and no fabric softeners....
      HeavenlyDetail
      Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

Comment

The other thing that I do is tumble dry them on a low heat.

This makes the microfibres stand up (with the static) and therefore seems to make them work better (for me at least)

Johnny

Comment

there 80% polyester,20% polymide.
          is that bad?
          how do the £4 ones stack up against that?

just because they cost £4 does`nt guarantee them to be any better than ones costing 80p.(or any worsre for that matter!)

the term"you get what you pay for" doesnt always ring true!

Comment

No leepy thats very true but all i can say on this matter is that i only use products that have stood the test of time by some very good detailers and all the microfibres i have purchased off johnny have been used and recommended by guys that detail cars for a living!!
            The same cannot be said for tesco,s or asda,s own although they may well be ok as you say i will not take the risk on a paintwork when for £4 i can guarantee they wont scratch!!!
            I buy 10 microfibres for £7.99 off ebay but only use them for door shuts and boot edges etc never on paintwork panels...
            HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Originally posted by vxrmarc
              No leepy thats very true but all i can say on this matter is that i only use products that have stood the test of time by some very good detailers and all the microfibres i have purchased off johnny have been used and recommended by guys that detail cars for a living!!
              The same cannot be said for tesco,s or asda,s own although they may well be ok as you say i will not take the risk on a paintwork when for £4 i can guarantee they wont scratch!!!
              I buy 10 microfibres for £7.99 off ebay but only use them for door shuts and boot edges etc never on paintwork panels...
              if something looks the same,feels the same,performs the same,are made from the same, then usually they are the same.

microfibre cloths that are marketed for detailing cars are always going to have an inflated price compared to ones marketed for general purpose.

i can`t really see them being put together much differently either.

again, just because detailers recomend something does not rubbish the stuff they don`t use.

i also have some microfibres from pets at home.
              when you put them together there is no diff what so ever!!

Comment

Maybe the answer leepy is

They are great ,look the same , feel the same , smell the same

until you wash them!!! :wink:
                HeavenlyDetail

Comment

you have a touch of the"if its expensive it obviously better" syndrome

seriously,i know nothing about cleaning cars,and know even less about microfibre cloths

i`ll pop down to halfrauds tomorrow and pick up a £4 cloth and have a bash with it.
                  call me skeptical,but im convinced it will perform exactly the same!

i`ll try washing my car over the weekend and wash the cheap/expensive cloths together,see if i get the same results!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by leepy
                    you have a touch of the"if its expensive it obviously better" syndrome

seriously,i know nothing about cleaning cars,and know even less about microfibre cloths

i`ll pop down to halfrauds tomorrow and pick up a £4 cloth and have a bash with it.
                    call me skeptical,but im convinced it will perform exactly the same!

i`ll try washing my car over the weekend and wash the cheap/expensive cloths together,see if i get the same results!!!!
                    No trust me leepy i havnt as zymol wheel cleaner is crap in my opinion and use megs a.p.c but i like the rest of their products because they are superb regardless of price!!!

I also have a £24 microwave because it cooks my food the same as a £100 one in my opinion but to me cloths and waxes are different due to the nature of the products the same as shampoo,s and chocolate!!!

I think that if you buy say a megs supreme shine microfibre cloth
                    and you get no difference you have found a good set of cheap cloths.

Again are the cloths dual sided?
                    Do they have satin safety edging?
                    Are they prewashed for maximum absorbency?
                    Are they 100% lint free?
                    How long will it last compared?

So many questions but answers may not be known because they look alright so they are alright but maybe not so!!

Leepy this is not a knock your cloth posting just been there myself and trying to help as a cloth was a cloth to me until i really looked into this and after speaking to many people about the manufacturing process and what all the spill meant i learned that a cloth can make so much difference over time to your paintwork and i think my general point here was if it was a wax of say £20 compared to a wax of £1000 then i would agree totally but cloths are so cheap i dont personally think it is worth the risk rubbing your paintwork over and scratching for the sake of £3...
                    HeavenlyDetail

Comment

its impossible to judge without biting the bullet and buying a dear cloth.
                      im getting a headache thinking about cleaning cars now
                      the wife just burst out laughing when i told her about the reverse osmosis unit im hoping to get(cheers marc )
                      she thinks im becoming obssesive about cleaning the dam car.(shes right)
                      i need a hobby that does not involve the internet or cars(a cheap one at that!)

slight subject change
                      marc,are there any pressure washers for under £100 that are up to the job?

Comment

Im not sure about that but if you want to bite the bullet for a cloth for final buff and shine buy this.........
                        http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/shop/m...wel/p_130.html

Its like silk and smooth like a babys bum!!!!!
                        HeavenlyDetail

Comment

I use the pinnacle microfibre wash to clean my towels in the machine, and by hand as well, does quite well in removing dirt and grime, plus keeping the plushness of them. Haven't done a c d test but will do so soon to double check.

Only use the sonus or zymol towels on the exterior of car.

Comment

http://sonus-usa.com/automotive-micr...-products.html

:wink:
                            HeavenlyDetail

Comment

All Microfibre cloths and other detailing equipment sponges, applicators, etc that you need to wash should be washed with NON BIOLOGICAL DETERGENT, bio detergent remains in the fibres and dries causing an MF to inflict swirls.
                              Allow cloths to dry naturally in the house or garage in a dust free environment, do not tumble dry.

You do get what you pay for as regards quality. Sonus Meg's and Pak Shak are regarded very highly amongst Pro Detailers.
                              Use cheap MF's for interior trim and glass only.

Comment

Working...
                              X