This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stone Chips

Had my car 2 months now and i have four little white stone chips on the bonnet.

The car is arden astra.

How can i remove those chips so no marks show or am i stuffed?

Astra VXR SMD Conversion, a couple of window stickers, front VXR badge and someone stole my rear VX badge!!! TOTALLY PIMPED OUT

i`ve got a few chips on bonnet which are very small but also have one on roof a few inches away from windscreen ,
    think i`ll be using these soon http://www.chipsaway.co.uk/smartrepairs/

Comment

You'll never get it flush unless you have it professionally done as you have to fill the chip with touch up paint to raise above the rest of the paint work, allow to try, sand down and polish to make it look new again.

Your going to pick up LOADS of stone chips so all ive done is buy an arden touch up stick from the stealers and fill the chips applying the paint with a tooth pick (the brush is far too big). This then masks the chip and protects the body work but unless you look closely you wont see it.

I wont bother getting mine professionally done unless i pick up some really bad ones or i sell the car, theres no point as you'll just pick up more.

Comment

Hi mate,chips away can not do your bonnet as it is something to do with the system, they say the light reflecting off the bonnet would show up the repair,only good for sides where the angles help disguise their system,have already asked as my arden bonnet had a big stone chip 2 hours after picking it up.will be getting it resprayed after the winter,but have put touchup in the chip to protect.

Comment

that the arden paint for you looks mint but chips easier than you can imagine!
          sad but its something thats going to keep happening

Comment

Yea paint seems to be really thin and chips easily, my old arden vxr was in a smash and had complete front end respray after which a never got a single stone chip in the next 4 months a had it so its defo better after a respray prob do it thicker than it is coming from factory, going to get the bonnet done on the burg start of next year then hopefully no more chips, be a pain trying to make sure the graphics are in a straight line tho pmsl
            sigpic
            Astra VXR,Focus ST,Astra VXR Burg 326,Focus RS,Bmw 3 Series Convertible
            And now have an
            Astra GTC VXR in Arden Blue
            Aero kit, AFL premium forward lighting, Sat nav, Dark rear tinted windows, Electric folding mirrors and Rear parking sensors

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 1983 View Post
              You'll never get it flush unless you have it professionally done as you have to fill the chip with touch up paint to raise above the rest of the paint work, allow to try, sand down and polish to make it look new again.

Your going to pick up LOADS of stone chips so all ive done is buy an arden touch up stick from the stealers and fill the chips applying the paint with a tooth pick (the brush is far too big). This then masks the chip and protects the body work but unless you look closely you wont see it.

I wont bother getting mine professionally done unless i pick up some really bad ones or i sell the car, theres no point as you'll just pick up more.
              I use your technique too Jay. It's very effective. Fair enough you will get a slight raise from the touch up but you a literally just place the paint into the hole using a toothpick. Therefore you get no overlap and a nice clean touch up.

Done a couple on my bonnet and bumper today. Well pleased though.

Comment

To do this properly really you need a fine daisy disc to flatten the edge of the chip , the original colour from dealership and a needle pen from halfords....Fill up needle pen and put needle in center of chip and fill 70% allow to dry.....The use 2nd needle pen with clearcoat and overfill 20% to allow for shrinkage so it dries flush.....If you dont use clearcoat the chip will be too dark as pure metallic is different once clearcoated it wont reflect light so will look like a dark blob compared to a glassed surface after putting clearcoat on...

The kit you need really

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165580

and Nurburgring minus clearcoat

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165580
                Last edited by Heavenly; 30 November 2008, 06:45 PM.
                HeavenlyDetail
                Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

Comment

I tried that Marc but I was rubbish . I'll just keep my car filthy , then I can't see the chips .
                  CORSA VXR , ARDEN BLUE , S+L , AFL , 18'S .
                  sigpic

Gone but not forgotten .
                  MPS takes the edge off though !

Comment

Marc is it best to strip any wax off before hand?

Comment

No it hasnt affected my chips to be honest..
                      HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Try taking it back to vx, i know a boy with a berg that bought it and went back with it two months later complaining about it chipping so easily and he got his repaired under warrenty.

Mine is covered in them but mine is getting done buy vx because i have found galvi blisters all along the bottom of my car, im waiting till the weather gets better and the salts off the road so that when it gets painted i can keep it waxed up and get a build up of wax on it for next winter.

Comment

Vauxhall in 90% of cases will not warrant stone chip damage because its caused by driving style.... I have done almost 9000 miles now and 2 both under 2mm in size and i dont sit on peoples bumpers ....My bonnet is near perfect and it gets driven hard but sensibly , if i were to drive it close to peoples rears then stone wills invariably hit the bonnet and chip it because no paint is faliable even mercedes ceramiclearcoat or soft paint like honda which wont shatter when a stone makes contact......Vauxhall paints pass stringent tests so stone chipping is not a manufacture fault.
                          HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Interesting coments thanks folks.

Just a question, as the chips are very small would T Cut work? I dint want to try it if it wont so would like feedback first pls.

Astra VXR SMD Conversion, a couple of window stickers, front VXR badge and someone stole my rear VX badge!!! TOTALLY PIMPED OUT

Comment

T-cut is an abrasive used to remove minor scratches and swirl marks. T-cut will do nothing to get rid of or mask stone chips. As said above get a touch up kit from Vauxhall so you get the right colour and then use a tooth pick and fill them in, if done right you wont even notice there was a stone chip unless you look REALLY closely.

Comment

Working...
                              X