X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car drying

hi all sorry if this has been asked before

after washing car what is the best thing to dry car with no smears i try not to touch the paint to much i jet wash car down 1st then hand wash then change sponge and then do wheels.
    but have been using a leather to dry off but seems to be putting very fine scratches on the car when you catch the light at a certain angle.

thanks

Originally posted by britishbeef View Post
    hi all sorry if this has been asked before

after washing car what is the best thing to dry car with no smears i try not to touch the paint to much i jet wash car down 1st then hand wash then change sponge and then do wheels.
    but have been using a leather to dry off but seems to be putting very fine scratches on the car when you catch the light at a certain angle.

thanks
    A sponge?????

Maybe that is what is causing the problem not the leather or your leather is not clean before you start.

Astra VXR SMD Conversion, a couple of window stickers, front VXR badge and someone stole my rear VX badge!!! TOTALLY PIMPED OUT

Comment

I use a Meguiars Microfibre cloth.. Halfrauds pack of 4 for about 5 quid last time i looked. Dont smear and definately miles better than shammy leather
      #ImKindOfABigThingAroundHere
      #IHaveManyLeatherBoundBooks

Comment

Sponge and leather................NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, thats why you have hazing / cobwebbing which is the term for the light scratches your refering to.

Rinse off first, ideally use snowfoam but jet wash will do to loosen film and dirt if you havent got a snowfoam lance.

Use a lambs wool mitt to wash the car using the two bucket method. i.e. one bucket with shampoo in and the other clean water. Load up the mitt with suds and wash a panel, rinse it out in the clean water and load it up again and so on doing a panel at a time - ud be suprised how mucky the water gets in the second bucket and that dirct u'd normally be pushing over your paintwork.

Make sure you use a seperate wool mitt for the wheels to the bodywork.

Rinse the car off with the jet wash and wash the car again using the above method and then rinse off. Then use a waffell towel or similar which can be brought from places like Halfords to dry the car. The leathers are naturally coarse and may scratch the paintwork whereas the towels are very soft and wont.

This then gives you a very clean surface to polishe, galze, seal, wax etc. It all about the preperation! What you have to remember is that if you dont wash the car properly all your going to do is push the muck around and then it doesnt matter what you do after that with regards to waxing etc as that wont get rid of the scratches unless you go down the lines of using a machine polisher and cutting compunds / fillers. A sponge will lift the dirt from the car but it will remain on the surface of the sponge, a wool mitt draws the dirt away from the edges and combining this with rinising it means less chance of spreading the dirt around.

To get rid of the hazing ideally you need a machine polisher however if you havent got one try some chemical guys Scratch-Swril B gone. This is a polish which has filler in it and will help to mask the hazing and minor scratches but will deterioate over time and have to be reapplied, the only way to taotally get rid of them is with a machine polisher.
        Last edited by Jay; 25 December 2008, 11:33 PM.

Comment

i use a leaf blower to dry the car off. works a treat
          Tech2 Diagnostics
          Cruise control, Radio programming, Display Programming, Anti Hijack, Check Control In the West Midlands. PM for Info

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by vxrmartyn View Post
            Ive done that before, especially good for getting the water from around the wingmirriors which is where it likes to stay and other cracks.

Comment

Originally posted by vxrmartyn View Post
              lol never thought of that, worth a try although the only trouble is mine sounds like heathrow airport on a busy day when i turn it on

Comment

Anyone got the halfords link to the waffell towel as done a search and cant find anything...also is there a link for the swirl b-gone stuff?
                Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Comment

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165609

that the towel you after?
                  Tech2 Diagnostics
                  Cruise control, Radio programming, Display Programming, Anti Hijack, Check Control In the West Midlands. PM for Info

sigpic

Comment

Use a spray of megs last touch before drying off , you will wonder how you managed without it, one wipe, bone dry !!

Comment

Link is for the swirl remover but have alook through the site, has some great stuff and use code 'RBB1' in the coupon section if you buy anything for a discount:

http://www.chemicalguysuk.com/scratc...r_p/scrcth.htm

Comment

There's nothing wrong with using sponges,

I use the Zymol sponge and have done for over a year or so now after changing from from a mitt due to it causing some marring.

Aslong as your washing using a 2 bucket method and always check the sponge before touching the paintwork with it to ensure the sponge has no dirt/grit particles.

As for drying us a waffle weave drying and some QD such as meguiars last touch this lubricates and helps the drying process.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MESE:IT

Atb Paul

Comment

cheers guys

the washing mit is it the 1s like a glove with like a lambs wool finish on the palm of the hand?
                          also what is a good engine bay cleaner or polish to keep it looking shiny and new

Comment

Originally posted by britishbeef View Post
                            cheers guys

the washing mit is it the 1s like a glove with like a lambs wool finish on the palm of the hand?
                            also what is a good engine bay cleaner or polish to keep it looking shiny and new
                            Yep wash mitt is like a glove

For the engine bay all you need is a decent APC - All Purpose Cleaner which can be found at Halfords, Megs do an APC.

Comment

for drying you won t get much better than this towel IMHO

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washin.../prod_362.html

has one side with deep pile to sock the water up and the other side short pile for that all important buff ( and it ll do tha whole car without it having to be rung out ) plus use some megs last touch and likes been said your wounder how you got on with out it

i ve used all sorts of drying towels in the past from megs , waffle weaves etc and the above is by far the best i ve used to date.
                              Project J is here Carbon Parts for Astra J Or vectra vxr brake conversions to astra/corsa please PM

Comment

Working...
                              X