This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kestral polisher

Got a kestral DAS 5 orbital polisher but it says it is a sander as well.....trouble is i've seen this on ebay being sold as a polisher with the megs polishing pads but can't find the pads to go with it....could somebody check to see if this is a polisher and where can i get the pads to fit this model.
    CORSA VXR & NISSAN 200sx Turbo!!!!!

Nissan running at 260+ BHP !!!!! bye bye ST!!

1990 Starlet GT turbo project ! running Subaru WRX turbo !

I have a Kestrel aswell, but the DAS-6 and they can be used as sanders aswell with the aid of a backing plate.

Go onto www.i4detailing.co.uk and select the 6" backing plate, this is for polishing and it will work with the kestrel, it just screws on. Then get yourself some pads to go with the plate and away you go. You can get smaller plates and pads for hard to reach area.

Use the code: VXRonline for a discount!

I cant imagine there is much difference between the two, have alook at the site and see if they look similar, chances are anything you can use for the 6 can be used on the 5.

Comment

I was told last week when i bought it that i can not get polishing pads for this model DAS 6 model and that is was a sander NOT a polisher so will be 100% safe to use on the paintwork Jay.....thanks for the info mate.

Comment

The above is mine. In the middle of the grey bit is a hole that you screw the backing plate into. The backing plate in this pic is the yellow disc on the bottom. The flate side of the plate (that its sitting on in the pic) has a velcro attached to it.

The pads also have velcro on them and its a simple case of sticking them together and pulling them apart when changing them. As said above there are two types of plates and pads, 6 and 3 inch although there are verious different brands of pads, i went for Sonus.

There is a speed switch on the back of mine which goes from 1 - 5. I use 2 to spread the polish (for example) in the area im working, 4 to work it in slightly and then 5.

Hope this helps, if needs be i can take some pic's tomorrow of mine to show you better.......this deserves some rep, especially on christmas day!
        Last edited by Jay; 25 December 2008, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Thats the same one as mine Jay and i have a 6inch velcro backing plate on it already......do halfords do the pads or is best to order from the net.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 1983 View Post

The above is mine. In the middle of the grey bit is a hole that you screw the backing plate into. The backing plate in this pic is the yellow disc on the bottom. The flate side of the plate (that its sitting on in the pic) has a velcro attached to it.

The pads also have velcro on them and its a simple case of sticking them together and pulling them apart when changing them. As said above there are two types of plates and pads, 6 and 3 inch although there are verious different brands of pads, i went for Sonus.

There is a speed switch on the back of mine which goes from 1 - 5. I use 2 to spread the polish (for example) in the area im working, 4 to work it in slightly and then 5.

Hope this helps, if needs be i can take some pic's tomorrow of mine to show you better.......this deserves some rep, especially on christmas day!
            Take some pics mate nice one

Comment

I got mine from www.i4detailing.co.uk I never seen them in Halfords, abit out of there range i think

I have the Sonus SFX pads.

The yellow one is for heavy cutting, the white is for medium cutting and the red is for fine cutting and apply polish's, glazes, sealants etc. I have one of each pad except the red ones as i have 4 as i only apply one product to the pad and dont use different products on the same pads.

What are you wanting to do with the polisher, just apply polishes, glazes etc or paint correction, i.e. getting rid of hazing and swrils? If its the latter then you'll need some cutting compunds, Meg's is the best but i dont know which ones you'll need. I have Sonus and thats pritty simple, you'll need the three bottles, SFX-1, SFX-2 and SFX-3.

If you do buy from the above use: 'VXRonline' in the coupon code and u'll get a 7.5% discount.

What pic's would you like...

Comment

Its just light swirls marks and some flattening down where i have touched up the paint work and general polishing can't get over that guy telling me it was no way a polisher anyway some pics of the bonnet would be great

Comment

Originally posted by corsaopc View Post
                  Its just light swirls marks and some flattening down where i have touched up the paint work and general polishing can't get over that guy telling me it was no way a polisher anyway some pics of the bonnet would be great
                  You'll get rid of light swril marks with the polisher no problems, if you want to totally get rid of them you'll need some cutting compounds, if you just want to mask then you'll need a polish with the filler in it, like auto glym super resin polish.

Unfortunately you'll not 'flatten' anything out mate if you've been touvhing up, you'd have to wet sand that to get it flat and then polish it up. I'd recommend getting a professional to do that as it VERY easy to make a mess of it and wreck the paintwork!

What pic's of my bonnet you wanting?????, are you wanting a step by step guide on how to polish as thats on the detailing section already mate.

Comment

Ok mate thanks for all you're help nice one.

Comment

Originally posted by corsaopc View Post
                      Ok mate thanks for all you're help nice one.
                      No probs mate. The detailing guides are a long read but well worth it IMO. Then you can always post up should you have any further questions and i did a search on google and found some video guides which i think may have been on detailing website somwhere, cant remember where tho.

Comment

Working...
                      X