This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chem Guys New E-ZYME wax Triumph 2000 Roadster

Ok today i got a chance to do a real classic in my eyes Geoff who has sold his Aston to fund this as its something he has always wanted and he felt after searching for many years for a real quality example this one was the right one..

The car in question is a Triumph 2000 Roadster which i would presume are quite rare now and this one is in pristine condition inside and out.

Design work started in 1944 following Standard's wartime purchase of Triumph, with the objective of producing a saloon and sports roadster, using a common engine, gearbox and similar running gear. The 1,776cc overhead engine and gearbox which Standard had been supplying to Jaguar for their 1 1/2 litre saloon was initially employed using the existing Flying Standard rear axle. The chassis featured an all-new design which included independent front suspension and comprised of two large-diameter steel tubes joined by cross braces. With a shortage of post-war sheet steel, the main body panels were of aluminium alloy, the bodywork being styled by Standard's Frank Callaby, who included a dickey seat, similar to the design of the pre-war Dolomite Roadster coupe. Launched in March 1946 alongside the razor-edged 1800 saloon, the larger engine was introduced in 1948, featuring the 2,088cc, 3-speed gearbox together with a new rear axle, which came across from the newly-introduced Standard Vanguard. Power increased from 65 to 68bhp, raising the top speed from 70 to 77mph.

The Triumph is in black and is stunning..

I decided against a power washer today simply because i didnt think it warranted it and simply used a hose and trickle wash.

I got the car out ready and thanks to macca of WWW.AlternativeExposure.com for coming along with me to take photos..

Today was zero degrees

Products used today although Wheel Brightener was not needed...

The Triumph given a very thorough but gentle wash

Car washed off and ready for claying

claybar clean

the car was then rewashed and hosed down although the temperatures were worrying me because in places the water was iceing up

so i dried the rest off in the garage where i had heaters blowing...
    So car finished off then paintwork read coming in at a steady 160 to 200 microns across the board

and showing the extent of the paintwork

Now the paintwork on this car was actually alot harder to correct than i first imagined and i really thought it would be like butter but it wasnt the case infact it needed a bit more work than i first anticipated and i also didnt realise exactly panel area how much was on this car when you roll out all the curves it was probably a standard car and a halfs work..
    Anyway i masked up as i went around as certain areas were still damp from the conditions so it seemed the sensible thing to do..
    Started at the rear and worked my way forward , there was no way i was going to do 50/50 shots on this because i had no idea what has or hasnt been done to this car in 50 years so after speaking to geoff i just said safety was my no.1 goal here and i would get the best i felt possible without risking anything.....One thing i did learn today though was that maybe like some i could do with a pc for intricate areas that the makita wouldnt fit into as some areas were done by hand especially behind the chrome fitments and lighting which were unaccesible via machine in any form with any backing plate.

After correction on rear nearside using a combination of menz ip and 3m 80349 and a sonus fx2 pad.

taping up areas like the indicators which had a habit of popping out when the area was worked on

rest of car finished and pad cleaned after every half panel

i got through 25 cloths on correction alone which i think may be runied visually

I then decided to cleaner fluid the whole car because i like the oily look cleaner fluid gives on a nice gloss black car , maybe pointless after the car was final finished but i enjoyed it.

wiped on and instantly buffed off

Now the conditions in the garage had warmed up considerably i decided it would be a good idea to polish all the chrome and then zaino z2pro it all as i felt the temperature would work fine inside the garage but had it been colder i wouldnt have bothered..
    All chrome including handles , locks , wheel hubs , bumpers , lights etc all zaino,ed for looks and protection.

Now i had an hour to leave the zaino to cure so it was onto waxing..
    Now ive been very fortunate in that Dave at www.ChemicalGuysUk.com run a competition with many prizes and i won a tub of the new Chemical Guys wax called Natura E-Zyme which is being released on the first of January i believe so this was quite exciting for me..
    This is their top of the range wax and would give this car good protection and the look that was required i was sure.
    Heres some info on the wax although i have asked about ingredients etc i think its a bit of a secret
    Heres the wax over the pond
    http://www.chemicalguys.com/Natures_...ax_p/n_001.htm

and heres the wax in the flesh...

I decided to hand wax a panel of this car to see what i thought

I must admit first impressions on the wax were that it easily broke down into a very fine liquid in my hands if thats the right word to use and was almost oily within seconds which made it a doddle to use hand application wise as it spread very easily with minimum wasteage id say..
    Last edited by Heavenly; 4 January 2009, 01:17 PM.
    HeavenlyDetail
    Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

the rest of the car i decided to pad apply to see how it compared especially with these new pads it came with..

Now i have to say this wax breaks down so finely that either the pads are the best pads ive ever used which normally zymoool holds the mantel for me or the wax is simply so easy to spread that it makes the pads seem fantastic , i believe its a bit of both because i even had bleed through on the pad of the wax which ive never ever seen on a wax coming from one side to the other. This has to be a plus point for even coverage .
    I left the wax about 10 to 12 minutes before buffing off

and the results were very impressive to be honest very very slick feeling aswell over visuals

My only one minus point on the wax which could have been me i dont know till i replay with it was i had some very mild powdering after wiping off , now maybe this wax needs to be removed on the button mid change or i may have slightly over applied because it applies so easily but after a qd it wasnt a problem and it wasnt so bad that i would put it along the lines of srp powdery i just noticed a very minor amount tha i havent noticed before on some waxes , having spoken to some people who have tested or played with this wax they havent noticed it so it may just have been my application / timing.

All that was left for me to do now was the ancillaries and to remove the zaino from all the chrome

Next was to get the hood down and to clean inside the edges etc and chrome just to make usre next time geoff takes the 2000 out for a run he doesnt have nasty lines where the hood stayed up spoiling the visual apperance of the car

glass etc cleaned

tyres dressed with a concoction of things

and the car was finished and i was pleased with it , we had had a giggle today doing this and it was well fun.

Got the car outside

for final inspection and a quick z8

and final buff off

for

FINAL RESULTS

WALKROUND VIDEO

Last edited by Heavenly; 4 January 2009, 01:17 PM.
    HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Wow ..... What a job, and what a car !

Comment

Awesome dude.
        ..:: Cheers, Stu ::..

Comment

Stunning, black is a lovely colour to detail but a bugger to keep clean. Excellent work mark and a lovely classic car!

Comment

marc how much is that car worth pal

Comment

I couldnt comment on that Hoggy.

My friends Fraser Nash circa 1930,s bmw was bought for about £80,000 though.
              HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Originally posted by vxrmarc View Post

wasnt been offensive marc it just looks expensive

Comment

Originally posted by vxrmarc View Post

I would have thought you'd be talking 6 figures

Comment

Originally posted by hoggy a View Post
                    wasnt been offensive marc it just looks expensive
                    Absolutely not im just unsure if Geoff would like it known thats all.
                    HeavenlyDetail

Comment

amazing work as usual marc , stunning car n pics!!
                      sigpic

244.7 BHP 322.3 LB/FT
                      Quarter Mile 13.9 Seconds @ 99mph
                      0-60 in 6.23 secs at Trax '09 beating 2 brand new Focus RS's on the day

Comment

Now that's a handsome car!
                        If i were to ask you to detail my step dads xk150 (red) sometime in the future, maybe as a birthday pressie, what do you think you'd charge/want? I know your a busy man, but your work is always the nuts!
                        Oh, and what springs are on that arden vec? It sits lovely

Comment

As the pad is bllack, does that mean you've gone right through the clearcoat and into the black paint? I'm not nitpicking, just wondering if that's ok.

Comment

The paint is single stage so its just paint hahahaha and yes i did remove some but not alot as some minor swirls scratches remained yet i was erring with caution and working on safety rather than perfection on this car.
                            HeavenlyDetail

Comment

the paint would be the old school celulose paint which can be a pleasure to work with, and my god marc what a good job you made of it mate! i bet it was a joy to work with paint like that and the finish is incredible!!

They used to build that paint up in layers and layers applying 9-12 coats of it and then buffing it back by hand to get a finish on it, the best stuff for it if your doing it old scholl is annonia based polishes, i did a baby austin for my boss when i was serving my time and he got hold of this stuff but i cant think of the top of my head what it was....

Anyway enjoyed reading through that and what a job!!

Good tip on the chrome polish!

Comment

Working...
                              X