Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

swirl marks with no polisher? - advice

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • swirl marks with no polisher? - advice

    whats best to use inc technique etc to get some light swirl marks out of the missus black pug207cc?

    dont have a machine polisher so good old cloth job it is.!!!

    am i until i can get it done properly best just with a good clean and us AG HD polish and see how well i do??

    also have no clay left so cant clay it.( unless a mate has some left)

    will it be wasted effort claying it ??? or am i best to clay then polish??

    thanks guys
    Last edited by YTVXR; 8 October 2009, 12:38 PM.

  • #2
    ill only say two names jay or marc....let some one else bring it back to life then all you need to do is keep it alive mate
    http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=65639
    WARNING all replys are incorrect as usual

    Comment


    • #3
      paul believe me id love them to do it, but funds are very very low and times are hard - on the up i have been offered a job starting 19th but will need a month or 2 to get back up to speed as such - hence why i can afford a DA at the min or let jay do his thing.

      was just thinking id give it a good hand polish as a meantime kinda thing. Im not bad at it, but wondered if any hints or tips.


      Jay!!!! Marc!!!!

      oh and dont sell your car mate, porsche or not, i dusted a cayman s the other day n the guy just looked at me open mouthed!!

      although i do love 911's.....

      Comment


      • #4
        where do you live mate
        WARNING all replys are incorrect as usual

        Comment


        • #5
          Manchester.

          Comment


          • #6
            shame id have lent you my polisher if you was closer
            WARNING all replys are incorrect as usual

            Comment


            • #7
              Depends if you jsut want to hide them or actually remove them by hand. Either way its going to take about 5 passes before you get decent results.


              Autoglym SRP will do a very good job of filling them or Megs Scratch X will remove all but the deepest. As I said above it needs a good few passes so be prepared for very sore arms.

              Comment


              • #8
                cheers paul. appreciate the offer!

                r-kid - they arent deep scratchs, just light swirl marks but as you know they look worse on black.

                Hmm, good wash, polish, quick wax will have to do i guess.

                Good old elbow grease!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks for the mention Paul


                  Right if your going to be doing it by hand its going to take tremendous effort and time to get rid of the swirl marks and to be hoonest the best that would get is masking them. The reason for this is that the polishs used for correction needs to be worked hard and broken down and heat helps with this. Unfortunately this is something that you are not going to get by hand.

                  My advice would be to use Auto Glym Super Resin Polish ifdoing it by hand. This will help to remove some very minor defects but the best thing about it is that it contains fillers which will sit in the defects and help to mask them visually but they will still be there. The only problem with fillers is that they will break down over time and the defects will become more and more visible over time.

                  In my opinion claying is a very inportant part of detailing / cleaning and if you can do it i would strongly suggest you do as it will help with the final results.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    we have a mechaine mop at work and clay and auto glym but i feel scared abit of going at it with the mechaine mop casue iv never done it before only ever done it by hand how do u use the clay and how the best way to start to fin like washing it and polishing it ?? thanks

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ainzi View Post
                      we have a mechaine mop at work and clay and auto glym but i feel scared abit of going at it with the mechaine mop casue iv never done it before only ever done it by hand how do u use the clay and how the best way to start to fin like washing it and polishing it ?? thanks
                      If i was you id spray from the door handles down with tar and glue remover and let it dewel and the wash it off and give it some two bucket love.

                      Dont clay it if you are going to machine it, its a waste of time as the machine will take any film or small tar spots off without the damage you might do with the clay bar.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by YTVXR View Post
                        whats best to use inc technique etc to get some light swirl marks out of the missus black pug207cc?

                        dont have a machine polisher so good old cloth job it is.!!!

                        am i until i can get it done properly best just with a good clean and us AG HD polish and see how well i do??

                        also have no clay left so cant clay it.( unless a mate has some left)

                        will it be wasted effort claying it ??? or am i best to clay then polish??

                        thanks guys
                        Work T Cut into it mate its the only thing good enough to do it by hand, then a sealant like poorboys black hole show glaze then a good layer of dodo juice purple haze?

                        And dont listen to anyone who says T Cut is harsh and aggresive its not its one of the longest standing paint correctional products on the go!

                        All tohse old black classic 1930's fords etc at shows are polished with T Cut before there show glazed as i learnt when i was doing my trade in the bodyshop as the boss was into classic, many a classic i resotred and polished by hand to glass.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          how u mean damage with the clay ??

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by W4GCN View Post
                            If i was you id spray from the door handles down with tar and glue remover and let it dewel and the wash it off and give it some two bucket love.

                            Dont clay it if you are going to machine it, its a waste of time as the machine will take any film or small tar spots off without the damage you might do with the clay bar.

                            I will always clay before machine polishing a car, i dont always clay mine but thats because i know its kept very clean and washed regularly. I do this so that the surface is as clean ascan be. The last thing i would want is sont contaminnaant to get stuck on the polishing pad and so damage to the paintwork whilst polishing, unllikely to happen but i dont tend to take the risk as claying doesnt take long

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ainzi View Post
                              how u mean damage with the clay ??
                              If theres any wee bits of grit caught within your clay you have potential to take it and swirl the whole car and marring is also a worry...

                              Clay was actually invented for the bodyshops to get overspray off, detailers just took it apon them selfs to try it on other things...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X