This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubbing clearcoat

Hi, as you may have seen in the corsa members section i have recently sprayed my wheels gloss black. Its the 1st time i have done anything like this.

Ive noticed that there are some parts which are not smooth to the touch and have hazes in parts and im also wanting to get rid of any imperfections and orange peel effect etc and get them to shine even more.

Im wanting to no the best way to do this, am i right in thinking that i could..

Firstly 2000 wet and dry the alloys untill they look and feel smoother etc?

Then apply some rubbing compound?

After the rubbing compound, apply some polishing compound??

Then polish up with super resin polish and finally add some wax??

As i say its the 1st time i have done anything like this, i am wanting to no if this will give the alloys a nice glossy finish if done correctly? Cheers Tom.

You will have some job polishing up wheels using compound by hand mate.

If you flattening things your best using a machine to bring up the clear caot again.

You may just end up with a wrecked wheel that will need to be painted again.

If you want to go for it mate what you have said would be fine to do but you may rub through edges as the paint on the wheels will be thin in places as they are hard to get consistantly covered.

Comment

Tommi the biggest issue you have is shape and the fact this apart from the face will all be handwork and no product is going to give you an acceptable finish thats going to look oem.
      Why didnt you just get them refurbed , admittedly its going to cost £50 a wheel but its got to look better than a bad finish on your car? These products your talking about need serious heat to work and by hand they will never break down from a hard abrasive.
      HeavenlyDetail
      Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

Comment

Originally posted by vxrmarc View Post
        Tommi the biggest issue you have is shape and the fact this apart from the face will all be handwork and no product is going to give you an acceptable finish thats going to look oem.
        Why didnt you just get them refurbed , admittedly its going to cost £50 a wheel but its got to look better than a bad finish on your car? These products your talking about need serious heat to work and by hand they will never break down from a hard abrasive.
        Correcto!

Id rub the wheels down with 1200 paper till they are smooth then get them painted.

The 1200 will remove the peel and allow the new paint to form its own finish and flow as there will be no previous peel to follow.

Comment

Thanks guys, i was going to get them refurbed but i thought i would have a go myself because if they didnt look right i could always get them refurbed anyway, but if i was happy then it would save me money and be more satisfying.

They dont look too bad its just im wanting them perfect and obviously it would be hard to achieve this with it been my 1st effort.

I will give the alloys a go as i previously stated and see what the outcome is. If im not happy i will get them refurbed.

Ive watched a few clips on youtube of a guy using the rubbing and polishing compounds on a scooter, you may have seen it? Obviously the wheels may be more difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by TommiVXR View Post
            Thanks guys, i was going to get them refurbed but i thought i would have a go myself because if they didnt look right i could always get them refurbed anyway, but if i was happy then it would save me money and be more satisfying.

They dont look too bad its just im wanting them perfect and obviously it would be hard to achieve this with it been my 1st effort.

I will give the alloys a go as i previously stated and see what the outcome is. If im not happy i will get them refurbed.

Ive watched a few clips on youtube of a guy using the rubbing and polishing compounds on a scooter, you may have seen it? Obviously the wheels may be more difficult.
            It would be very difficult to get all the corners and small areas polished up.

Might be worth trying if you have an old wheel kicking about?

Comment

I have mate yes, ill have some practice on that 1st. Its no loss really as i was going to get them refurbed anyway. Hopefully i can get a good finish myself as i wont leave it untill its done properly having ocd and all that

Comment

Working...
              X