X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left foot braking

For those not aware here is a little internet guide

http://www.rallyracingnews.com/lfb.html

However, on a lot of modern road cars the electronic throttle is linked to the brake pedal switch so if you brake the throttle is cut too.

Comment

is that the case with the astra vxr
      Astra vxr mk2 with stage 1 EDS remap

Comment

I will give it a go shortly and let you know Corsasilver...

Comment

I'd really not recommend left foot braking at all- its really really dangerous as the left foot isn't used to applying a little pressure and your likely to end up doing an emergency stop; stalling the engine. Thats only my opinion - but I tried it once and never again!

Comment

I do it all the time......at the track :P

Comment

Yes it takes practice to master and best not done on the public road. I think the Astra cuts fuel injection under braking so doesnt work anyway...

Comment

How about heel and toe. I find the pedals are positioned perfectly for toe braking and a squirt on the throttle with your heel as you're changing down. With a bit of practice you can get compleltely seemless downshifts and not get the car pitching about. Must be worth a tenth :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Pininfarina22
                  How about heel and toe. I find the pedals are positioned perfectly for toe braking and a squirt on the throttle with your heel as you're changing down. With a bit of practice you can get compleltely seemless downshifts and not get the car pitching about. Must be worth a tenth :-)
                  Another track favorite of mine.

Comment

Don't u brake with your heel and blip the accelerator with your toe?

Comment

Dont think so, think you rotate your foot from pedal to pedal with heel achored on the floor, sparticus yours is automatic though isnt it?

I think that left foot braking belongs only on the race track or on 'clutchless' cars. I tried it on my dads 996 turbo at castle coombe and found that I had no judgement as to how hard to brake, maybe practise makes perfect

Comment

Originally posted by Thorney View Post
                        However, on a lot of modern road cars the electronic throttle is linked to the brake pedal switch so if you brake the throttle is cut too.
                        Can a remap turn this function off?
                        sigpic

www.courtenaysport.co.uk
                        for all your tuning needs.....
                        01692 404313.

Comment

Heel n toe - with modern cars with a "clutch - brake - throttle" pedal layout then the convention is toe on the brake and heel on the throttle. The only reason is that for most people the toe allows more precise brake control when threshold braking where as the throttle needs only a general "blip".

Some cars are perfect for heel n toe so you don't actually need to rotate your right foot much (if at all). I used to use just the outstep of my foot when I had an elise.

Heel n toe is used on corner entry but Left foot braking is to control the rotation of the car early to mid corner. On corner exit you just want the throttle down (assuming you've done everything else right!)

Assuming a rear wheel drive car, if you whilst you are braking just before the apex you can press throttle to increase the car's rotation (oversteer). Conversly, pressing the brake hard can actually induce understeer by causing the front wheels to lose traction in relation to the rears (the engine power can overpower the rear brakes).

However you can very easily end up in a gravel trap (if you are lucky) or a ditch (if not so lucky). For 99% of drivers their left foot is simply not sensitive enough to modulate the brake pedal.

You can combine left foot braking with heel n toe - you start off with braking with the right foot and left on the clutch blipping the throttle with the heel of the right foot. All this is done in a straight line. Once all the downshifts are complete, your left foot is idle waiting for when you exit the corner and use the clutch to change up. So *whilst* maintaining maximum threshold braking you slip the left foot behind the clutch and slide it onto the brake whilst sliding the right foot off. Now you're free to use left foot braking to trail brake into the corner with the throttle used to help control the car's attitude. The final bonus is that once all the braking is complete you can transistion from braking to power seamlessly and not with any upset to the car's balance.

If you see this in action under real race conditions it looks like the driver is tap dancing on the pedals - it's all done in the blink of an eye. I'd say to people to try and do it with the car stationary just to show how hard it is but really really don't do it on the road as you can very easily end up in a mess pressing the wrong pedal or getting a foot stuck. Even done perfectly on track you would be happy if it gained you a tenth over heel n toe only.

There's a great driving instruction DVD by Andy Walsh from carlimits.co.uk that shows how it should be done.

Comment

Just to let you know you can left foot brake an astra vxr and it does not kill the throttle........
                            Last edited by stevenandalex; 26 March 2008, 09:21 AM.
                            sigpic

www.courtenaysport.co.uk
                            for all your tuning needs.....
                            01692 404313.

Comment

I did this a few years ago in my old car (clio) and i stalled it!

Comment

Working...
                              X