X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reznik
    replied
    I agree with that. Even if your just holding the revs whilst turning. The weight of the car on the suspension stays more level

Sent from an android phone cos I ain't down that iPhone rubbish

Leave a comment:

• vexorg
    replied
    Originally posted by leeconnolly View Post
    Personally I just take my foot off the accelerator and turtle wheel then accelerate when I'm about 75% round the corner and I'm straight off. :-)
    Not sure I'd agree with that, though I'm not sure what it means to turtle wheel. A little power helps on the corner/bend to help drive the car round. Obviously depends on traction, you lose grip and you understeer badly, but lifting off completely is effectually braking due to the engine - which is more likely to understeer again.

It's all a balance of speed and grip, as a general rule you should do the bulk of your braking and accelerating when the wheels are straighter (before or after the corner)

Leave a comment:

• leeconnolly
    replied
    Personally I just take my foot off the accelerator and turtle wheel then accelerate when I'm about 75% round the corner and I'm straight off. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Bruce 23
    replied
    Mate of mine had Track tuition. Said it's Better than any mod you can add to your car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Noxious89123
    replied
    Originally posted by Craig 522 View Post
    Let off/brake if necessary as you come into the corner and power out the apex, doesn't change if it's street ot track imo as a corner is a corner 😊

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    I'd have to disagree, technique varies a lot depending on the bend. Is it a slight corner that can be taken flat out, a constant radius bend or a corner that tightens or opens up?

If you go in to a tightening bend at what you think is a safe speed, and then let off the throttle as it tightens, you may find yourself exiting the road backwards through a hedge...

Leave a comment:

• vxrak
    replied
    Driving smooth,y is the key...look as far as you can into the corner and learn your turn-ins, breaking points, acceleration etc. Also make sure you get your braking done before your into the corner and keep practising.

Leave a comment:

• moeman
    replied
    The key to police advance driving is to recognise the limit point and adapt your driving accordingly (check Roadcraft) and don't forget light standards/phone poles are always on the outside of corners!

Leave a comment:

• Craig 522
    replied
    Let off/brake if necessary as you come into the corner and power out the apex, doesn't change if it's street ot track imo as a corner is a corner 😊

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• rasorz
    replied
    A good mate of mine is a traffic cop and he explained inertia and how it affects cars basically these guys are trained to take bends at ridiculous speeds and his top tip (disclaimer try at your own risk and i would advise practicing at a track day etc than on the public road) is to take the bend at one speed dont break or accelerate until you are out the bend. I have tried this myself be good to know what others think.

Leave a comment:

• Noxious89123
    replied
    Originally posted by t6ngj View Post
    I tend to check mirrors and signal first before turning a corner...
    I assumed we were talking "taking corners" in the sense of bends on twisty roads or on circuit, not corners like junctions in the city

Leave a comment:

• t6ngj
    replied
    I tend to check mirrors and signal first before turning a corner...

Leave a comment:

• Noxious89123
    replied
    Are we talking track driving or hooning it on the road?

Aside from aftermarket dampers, springs and ARBs; tyre pressures make a huge difference. After you've done a few hot laps and the tyres are getting hot, check the pressures. You'll probably find they're sky high! I run 38F / 35R set cold on the road, but I use 35~32F / 30R set hot when on the track. I find on circuit, oversteer and rear end instability into corners is the biggest handling problem. Reducing the rear tyre pressures makes a huge difference.

Just don't go too low, and remember that when the tyres cool the pressures will be too low, so you'll need to adjust them upwards again.

Sweet_VXR, what tyres and suspension are you using?

Leave a comment:

• Sweet_vxr
    replied
    I found my astra extremely sketchy into corners, everything feels electronic and so light compared to previous cars.
    Will take some time and just make sure, bushes, ball joints, tracking etc is all in good order. I've uprated/replaced most and its made one hell of a difference.

Leave a comment:

• willcarter3012
    replied
    Best way I learned to handle a FWD car was buying a 1.2 punto and absolutely hooooning it through some country lanes. Also driving in ice & snow teaches you a hell of a lot about car control, whether you like it or not!

I went from the punto to the VXR, and all the skills are transferrable really. But when it does let go you're going much faster

Leave a comment:

• bevxracing
    replied
    Glad I'm not the only one lol. From a few of the first comments I thought it was just me haha. I'm going to look at doing a rally day for some fun then going to have a look at some lessons as I have been told you can get them to help you keep the car under control.
    Originally posted by Geordie076 View Post
    not a bad tyre so you can rule out that,

as has been said the rule of thumb is slow in, smooth round , and fast out, listen to any race car on tv etc where they have incar footage (even F1) you need to balance the throttle to the grip available , hitting the throttle too early in a bend is just going to upset the handling and cause you problems (spin) even at 30mph if conditions are not good it is very easy to spin a car, heck i spun at 25mph going into the pits at a very wet Silverstone lol .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X