This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• taking corners

Hi guys I only stick my foot down on straights. Can anyone explain to me the best way to take corners. I span out once at 30! To be fair it was wet, but I'm sick of loosing on corners. When do I put foot down, when to apply break, high or low gear? Any advice would be great

pinning out at 30 going round a corner?l You must be running F1 slicks mate lol

I've never had a problem with bends.... Unless this is a troll thread :/
    Opel Nürburgring Edition No.534 / IG - ItzMrGoodKat

Comment

Cool story Bro.
      sigpic

V8, not for everyone but 10/10 for your effort.

Comment

I have this problem a lot , hoping my new track engine mounts, eibach springs will help me with this problem

If they don't help I'm sure the cobra will
        sigpicAstra VXR Time Attack Build

Follow me on Facebook at JK Motorsport

https://www.facebook.com/JK-Motorspo...7132121985280/

Comment

Was there oil on the road? Or was it faster than 30mph?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Tuned By Rabbid Remaps

Comment

Originally posted by Seanwebb68 View Post
            Was there oil on the road? Or was it faster than 30mph?

Or just talking rubbish

Comment

Come on guys. Our forum is here to be a source of help isn't it? with just 37 posts he is obviously new on here and probably new to performance cars. Everybody has to learn sometime.

First, and most important for taking corners fast - make sure you have decent tyres! All tyres nowadays have a Wet Grip rating, 'A' being the best. Dry grip will always be better than wet grip so the wet grip rating is an indicator of all-round performance.

I did try to sketch out a typical fast corner, but freehand drawing is not 'my cup o' tea' (!!) so I had a look for a website that had a decent sketch. This one I found should give you some useful pointers:-
              www.drivingfast.net/techniques/track-corner.htm

Comment

Originally posted by robertshephard View Post
                Come on guys. Our forum is here to be a source of help isn't it? with just 37 posts he is obviously new on here and probably new to performance cars. Everybody has to learn sometime.

First, and most important for taking corners fast - make sure you have decent tyres! All tyres nowadays have a Wet Grip rating, 'A' being the best. Dry grip will always be better than wet grip so the wet grip rating is an indicator of all-round performance.

I did try to sketch out a typical fast corner, but freehand drawing is not 'my cup o' tea' (!!) so I had a look for a website that had a decent sketch. This one I found should give you some useful pointers:-
                www.drivingfast.net/techniques/track-corner.htm
                If he passed his driving test he must know how to take corners so don't think he can learn anymore

Comment

I know I almost lost it being stupid not long after I got the VXR taking a roundabout too quick, LSD saved me though one it gripped again.

To be fair, only thing I can recommend is start slow and learn the car and how the car takes the corners, and move up from there..

White VXR Clubsport.

Comment

Thank you very much, I am very grateful. Yes this is my first high powered car. I am new to a lot and I want to learn. I have been driving 8 years but only normal driving not racing. I would like to say that the corner was 90 degrees and wet, plus I went over a grid. Still a standard corsa went round no problem so I must have done something wrong. Thank you again. By the way not sure how many guys are called bev hahaha.
                    Last edited by bevxracing; 20 June 2015, 10:25 PM.

Comment

what tyres are you running with ?
                      Tuned by RnD Motorsport

Comment

The basics are slow in, smooth round then fast out.

Keeping things smooth is the key never stamp on the brakes or accelerator or snatch at the steering wheel as they'll all change the cars weight distribution which in turn moves grip generally away from where it's needed.
                        As an example think if you brake on a corner all the weight gets shifted forward so you'll lose grip to the rears which will give you an oversteer situation and the back will try to overtake the front. Accelerating too hard will cause the weight to shift back so you'll lose traction to the front and understeer.

Start slow and build up your confidence.

And for everyone taking the mick for spinning at 30 I went one better in my younger days and rolled my corsa doing 40.

Comment

Keep the RPM up when going very fast through corners.+3000 RPM.Keeping the power on the wheels will keep the grip and if it understeers then do left foot braking.If you go very fast in a corner without High RPM or No Throttle then you will oversteer but by just pressing the throttle at +3000 RPM will correct this.
                          This is a FWD Driving method
                          Last edited by Wernher; 21 June 2015, 10:25 AM.

Comment

If you are getting 2 new tyres, always put the newest rubber on the rear, even on a fwd car, this has been proven to help with loss of grip/oversteer while cornering.

Also, get to know our car over a period of time and see how it behaves in different weather conditions, don't just go out giving it big licks!

Comment

Thanks guys lots of helpful advice!

Comment

Working...
                              X