X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.9 16v CDTI engine swirl flap removal

Hi Folks

I am tempted to move to a diesel as my daily mileage may increase very soon if I move out of the city and have to commute to work.

Is there any way to disable / remove the swirl flaps like you can on the BMW engines.

I see lots of folks complaining about the swirl flap problem and it can take approximately 800 quid to fix.

If its not possible to remove I may go for the 8v engine which doesn't have them built into the inlet.

Thanks in advance.
    | Find | Watch | Follow |

Hi mate,

No its not possible to remove them unfortunatly but you can block off the EGR Valve which reduces the ammount of Carbon built up which in turn causes the flaps to sieze.

Its not a major problem, you just need to clean the EGR Regulary (Every 5-6,000 miles) and you will have no issues. My partner at work has a 55 Plate Astra 1.9CDTI and its done 220,000miles now and has never had the swirl flaps/actuator or inlet manifold changed as he regulary cleans it. Only take 20 minutes, a rag and a bottle of carb/injector cleaner

You just need to get one with low mileage one (ideally around 20k) or one that has had the inlet replaced recently. As long as you keep on top of the cleaning you wont have an issue.

Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by Lawro View Post
      Hi mate,

No its not possible to remove them unfortunatly but you can block off the EGR Valve which reduces the ammount of Carbon built up which in turn causes the flaps to sieze.

Its not a major problem, you just need to clean the EGR Regulary (Every 5-6,000 miles) and you will have no issues. My partner at work has a 55 Plate Astra 1.9CDTI and its done 220,000miles now and has never had the swirl flaps/actuator or inlet manifold changed as he regulary cleans it. Only take 20 minutes, a rag and a bottle of carb/injector cleaner

You just need to get one with low mileage one (ideally around 20k) or one that has had the inlet replaced recently. As long as you keep on top of the cleaning you wont have an issue.

Hope that helps

swirl flaps are they the ones my dad had issues with lawro??
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by redastravxr View Post
        swirl flaps are they the ones my dad had issues with lawro??
        Yeh mate, did you get it sorted in the end?

Comment

Hi mate,

Hope that helps
          Thanks for that, at least it can be in some way mitigated.

Comment

Originally posted by worky View Post
            Thanks for that, at least it can be in some way mitigated.
            I have had no problems with mine atall. I clean it every 5,000 miles and even then it gets very clogged up. Regal now sell a plug with a small hole in it that you fit between the EGR Valve and the Inlet Manifold and it reduces the ammount of carbon build up. I really need to invest in one at some point.

Also if your looking to remap the car most software now map's out the EGR Valve all together

Comment

Thanks very interesting, do you both to clean the inlet too or do you just to the EGR valve itself as the inlet will be full of soot too.

I would definitely have it mapped so its not too big a step back from my VXR.

Comment

Yeh mate, did you get it sorted in the end?
                yes mate he took it 2 a garage and they removed them and its been fine or so he says just told him 2 put a adative in every so often ?
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks very interesting, do you both to clean the inlet too or do you just to the EGR valve itself as the inlet will be full of soot too.

I would definitely have it mapped so its not too big a step back from my VXR.
                  They map up very nicely, Most people are seeing around 200bhp and 320-330lb/ft. They pull very well to be honest.

Its hard to explain but when you see one you will understand what I mean, Basically when you remove the EGR Valve its bolted to the end of the inlet which is like a semi circle the idea is the gases flow up the EGR and then round and back down again.. It leaves carbon deposits in the EGR Valve and the Manifold.. You will probably find (dependant on the mileage of the car) that the carbon is baked on, all you need to do is use a knife and cloth and just scrape it all out and then just use some Wynn's injector cleaner and it should come up like new. There are plently of 'How To.." guides on the internet its very simple once you have done it once.

When you go and look at one there are a few things you can check to make sure its not got any swirl problems.

If you remove the engine cover, attached to the inlet manifold there should be a swirl rod which should be sat on 4 seats which in turn are connected to the injectors. As seen here:

When you rev the car the rod should pivot on its bases in a clockwise direction about a 1/4 turn and then spring back again when you come off the gas. If it moves freely and springs back okay you should be fine. If the rod doesn't move or has fallen off its seats then the car will need the inlet and swirl actuator replaced which as you said is circa £800.

Hope that helps.

Comment

I dont know if any one has had a play with the inlet manifold to remove the flaps
                    but i can see why it could not be done but then would people want to buy a new custom inlet manifold ??
                    I dont think the market place has a call for one
                    get the EGR blank plate from regals
                    also i think plug in boxes are no goot as they will make more soot killing the inlet manifold even faster
                    Last edited by dannyf; 19 July 2010, 10:11 PM.
                    the truth is out there
                    part GSI part VXR
                    tyre shreding tarmac terrorist

Comment

Originally posted by redastravxr View Post
                      yes mate he took it 2 a garage and they removed them and its been fine or so he says just told him 2 put a adative in every so often ?
                      Hmmm, not heard of that but if its running okay thats the main thing. I know a few people who are using additives but I am not sure if it makes much difference. I find it easier just to clean it lol.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyf View Post
                        I dont know if any one has had a play with the inlet manifold to remove the flaps
                        but i can see why it could not be done
                        get the EGR blank plate from regals
                        also i think plug in boxes are no goot as they will make more soot killing the inlet manifold even faster
                        Yep I would definitely be getting it mapped to stop the plumes of black smoke.

Comment

They map up very nicely, Most people are seeing around 200bhp and 320-330lb/ft. They pull very well to be honest.

Its hard to explain but when you see one you will understand what I mean, Basically when you remove the EGR Valve its bolted to the end of the inlet which is like a semi circle the idea is the gases flow up the EGR and then round and back down again.. It leaves carbon deposits in the EGR Valve and the Manifold.. You will probably find (dependant on the mileage of the car) that the carbon is baked on, all you need to do is use a knife and cloth and just scrape it all out and then just use some Wynn's injector cleaner and it should come up like new. There are plently of 'How To.." guides on the internet its very simple once you have done it once.

When you go and look at one there are a few things you can check to make sure its not got any swirl problems.

If you remove the engine cover, attached to the inlet manifold there should be a swirl rod which should be sat on 4 seats which in turn are connected to the injectors. As seen here:

When you rev the car the rod should pivot on its bases in a clockwise direction about a 1/4 turn and then spring back again when you come off the gas. If it moves freely and springs back okay you should be fine. If the rod doesn't move or has fallen off its seats then the car will need the inlet and swirl actuator replaced which as you said is circa £800.

Hope that helps.
                          Cheers dude, it looks handy enough to clean up

Thanks for that.

Comment

Just for the record on holiday in Scotland at present and I am getting 40mpg on slower A roads with the family at the moment think the big intercooler with stage 3 makes all the difference. Worth a thought rather than change!
                            Only got 45mpg with an insignia cdti 160 last month on a 700 mile round trip to Scotland .
                            Arden Blue astra VXR, Stage 3 Courtenay Sport map, Courtenay Full CDTI direct intake, Courtenay intercooler, Piper 3in exhaust, quaife LSD, sachs uprated clutch, uprated 6th gear bearings, KW variant 3 suspension, TD Pro race 1.2 wheels, braided ss brake lines, check control, Insignia WJ, Parrott Bluetooth

Comment

Yep I would definitely be getting it mapped to stop the plumes of black smoke.
                              The plumes of smoke are the best bit LOL!

You should see mine , The person behind can hardly see where they are going!

Comment

Working...
                              X