X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm thinking of getting into DSLR...

Hi all,

Up until now I have been using a Pansonic Lumix TZ6 as recommended by someone off here sometime last year. When using the TZ6 I have always been using the auto focus, so haven't really experimented much with the TZ6's capabilities.

Over the past couple of years I have seen what the Nikon D40 is capable of and I know it is a discontinued model and has been overtook with the D3000, which I would like to step up to, if I made the change to a DSLR. I also know that this camera has no auto focus too, before someone points that out to me.

I was wondering is it hard to make the change to a DSLR with little experience with a digital camera? I was looking at these:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...ms=NIKON+D3000

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/5708431.htm

Would there be anything else I would need to start me off

Any advice from you guys in the know would be great?

Thanks in advance.
    sigpic

I bought a sony ax380 14.2 mp and I'm no photographer lol. I just point and let the camera do the work it takes awesome pics, deffo recommend buying one.
    ....................................sigpic.................................

..................... THEY JUST KEEP GETTING BETTER.!!.................

Comment

I was looking at the middle mark of the Olympus pen and the new sony nex-3, effectively Compact DSLR's that can take the lense Worth a look if thats what your looking at
      Originally posted by Bobbyp90
      Yes Tom! You're a freaking genius!
      sigpic
      Corsa "user guide" , VXR Car Game
      South East Regional Organiser

PSN: TomFL12

Comment

I have Lumix tz7 compact and sony a200 dslr cameras and find i still use the tz7 more.

using aperture and shutter speeds on the dslr to make better images is hard work sometimes and i never know how they are going to come out so end up taking loads of pics to get one good shot.

don't know anything anout lens or filters but will master that next year.

Obsessed is a word that the lazy use to describe the dedicated!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Y2K4 View Post
          I was looking at the middle mark of the Olympus pen and the new sony nex-3, effectively Compact DSLR's that can take the lense Worth a look if thats what your looking at
          http://www.sony.co.uk/product/dsb-nex-3/nex-3a

Sony one

I want lol
          sigpic

Comment

A DSLR give you a true view through the viewfinder not via a lcd screen, you get a vast choice of lens, spend the money on glass and you will get image stabalisation and cracking low light fast shutter combinations.

A good benifit of DSLR for motorsport etc is that you can preset your focus and use depth of field to remove most of the problems caused by safety fencing.

At the end of the day I have both a compact and a DSLR and I'll take both or either depending on what I am going to be doing.

my VXR history: Arden Corsa, Astra Nurburgring, Corsa Arctic, Evoke VXR8, Black Corsa, Silver Vectra, a long weekend with an Insignia, a chilli burger and now a siggy tourer!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Y2K4 View Post
              Still a bridge camera Tom, not a true DSLR, no viewfinder and no where near as flexible.

my VXR history: Arden Corsa, Astra Nurburgring, Corsa Arctic, Evoke VXR8, Black Corsa, Silver Vectra, a long weekend with an Insignia, a chilli burger and now a siggy tourer!

Comment

Originally posted by moeman View Post
                Still a bridge camera Tom, not a true DSLR, no viewfinder and no where near as flexible.
                My sony anygood dave?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...nydslra200.asp

Comment

i got the sony alpha 350 or 450, love it

would lvoe it even more if i hadnt lost the charger to it lol
                  Last edited by Spamiser; 20 July 2010, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by moeman View Post
                    Viewfinder is an optional extra, same as the olympus pen. I've wanted a DSLR for years and want to further my photography "hobby" so a compact hybrid (effectively what these both are) would be perfect.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_vxR View Post
                      Sony could, (not sure if they still can but dont see why not) use Minolta lenses which are cheap and widely available.

My Dad has a Sony DSLR, but I am a Canon man, and I much prefer the Canon to the Sony which feels cheap in comparision. Touch wood I have had no probs with my canon gear, (300/350/400 and current 450D) as I have changed the bodies all my lens still work. My Dads Sony just stop working and cost almost as much to repair as it did to buy.

TBH I would look at getting a better 2nd hand camera, have a browse here:

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equipment/

I am looking at getting a 550D soon, so there will be a well looked after 450D available

Comment

when i think of Canon, nice and colourful springs to mind lol

I heard Minolta lens fit sony's also heard sony make probably the best lens (and at huge cost)

I used to have a Nikon D40x but sold it after i didnt know how to use and bought the combo instead for best of both.....i got a mag thats called "getting started in digital slr photgraphy" that has helped me loads but very brain frying at the sametime.

Btw: dont be doing any distance selling

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_vxR View Post
                          when i think of Canon, nice and colourful springs to mind lol

I heard Minolta lens fit sony's also heard sony make probably the best lens (and at huge cost)

I used to have a Nikon D40x but sold it after i didnt know how to use and bought the combo instead for best of both.....i got a mag thats called "getting started in digital slr photgraphy" that has helped me loads but very brain frying at the sametime.

Btw: dont be doing any distance selling
                          Or use the camera!!!!

Comment

Yes they do, i've got an Alpha and it accepts minolta lens.

My Sony has been to deserts, jungle and mountain areas of Kenya, German driver training areas, trackdays, in rain, sun and snow.. virtually anywhere i go, and the only damage it has taken, or issues i have had with it is the rear info display is slightly scuffed (from a tank )

I find it is more than enough for my photographing needs, which range from uber long exposure, to uber fast shutter.. The camera is only as good as the sensor, and being an entry level camera, it has a good sensor but the a200 is not as good as, say the £500+ Alpha Bodies, but it is still good.

Agreed that the glass makes the difference, kit lenses tend to be naff. I spent a good whack of money on a 70-300mm beercan, with crisp optics and it is very good. The kit lense is just the beginning.

Last edited by havoc856; 20 July 2010, 01:29 PM.
                            #ImKindOfABigThingAroundHere
                            #IHaveManyLeatherBoundBooks

Comment

See i dont get lenses, etc so would need to have a little look into them

However, i was looking at this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294
                              as it seemed to be good (lense alone is 200+, camera 450)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X