This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sat Nav's - TomTom or Garmin

Been borrowing sat navs everytime I've needed one but but it's about time I bought one. I've only ever used TomTom's and I do like them but Garmins and considerably cheaper. Whatever one I get will have to have European maps and possibly bluetooth connectivity as well. What units do people recommend?

ive had 2 tom toms and ive used a garmin and navman.

nothing comes close to tom tom .. others are **** and unreliable.

tom tom 110%

Comment

tom tom all the way
      Arden Racing Edition

Comment

Get a TOM TOM mate!

I've had mine 3 years now and never had an issue with it. Nice clear instructions as well; map is also easy to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny133 View Post
          ive had 2 tom toms and ive used a garmin and navman.

nothing comes close to tom tom .. others are **** and unreliable.

tom tom 110%
          Considering that in marketing surveys over the last 5 years Tomtom have consitantly had the highest return rate of the main brands on navi units and the most DOA units, would lead me to say otherwise. I would also add that that over the years, I have had my various different model tomtoms, replaced on 5 sperate occasions. My original funnily enough is still going strong though! Also bear in mind Tomtom are not the no1 in mobile navigation per market share, that honour belongs to Garmin.

But anyhow I digress, you are used to Tomtom so my advice stick with what you know, as lots of people/cusotmers I know try another brand and always moan about how they do not like the new unit they are using and just cannot get on with how different it is to what they are used to.

TBH you cannot really go wrong with any of the name brands... reliability aside, but then again if they do go wrong the same surveys show it is normally within the 1st year, so you should be covered.

Me personally I like both Garmin and Tomtom (and I own various models of both makes as I tend to beta test for both makes) although I do not like there live service products (tomtom live and Garmins equivalent) as for worldwide travel they are not great, and just generally require additional costly subscriptions which are a money making racket. Anyhow for international travel I normally grab my garmin only because they have more extensive map coverage of the various parts of the world, but for Europe there is nothing to choose between the two with regards maps etc.,
          Last edited by BasilD; 20 July 2010, 11:35 AM.

Comment

cant fault my TomTom, used to have a Sony NAV-U. It didnt come close to the tomtom.
            VXR gone Audi A6 Avant - Le Mans in
            http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/ PROUD TO BE A RUDE YORKSHIRE IDIOT SINCE 1981!

Comment

As BasilD has said stick to what you know as I've borrowed TomTom's and not liked them and went and got a Garmin and not looked back.

Astra

Comment

tom tim m8 the best.

Comment

I use a tomtom and love it but my last 1 broke on me and wouldnt turn on

Comment

Garmin ftw everytime I'm afraid
                    sigpic

Comment

have had 3 tomtoms and various other ones but tomtom by far the best
                      sigpic
                      ASTRA nurburgring mods; itg panel filter, white samco hoses, cruise control, remus

Comment

I would go with the Tom Tom every time I still use mine even though I have the factory fit Navteq which is poor compared to the Tom Tom.
                        Quite funny when they start to argue at junctions

Comment

The first satnav I tried was a TomTom One, and really liked it.
                          When I bought my own satnav for the first time just over 3 years ago, I bought a Garmin Nuvi 310. It was OK, but did have a tendency to take you some really whacky ways (like down a road marked "unsuitable for vehicles" on the way back from Cornwall last year, and taking is on the ferry to go through Plymouth, rather than over the bridge).
                          It was then cheaper to buy a new one than upgrade the map on it, so I've now got a TomTom Go 740, with Live Services, and I can't fault it. Maps and routes are much better than on the Garmin.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Navman are always overlooked - check them out they are very very good!
                              Chilli Orange Corsa BURG #009 has left the building. Loved every moment of ownership for the best part of 7 years.
                              Check out my full video review *HERE*

Comment

Working...
                              X