X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSG or not??

Booo it's not a Vauxhall

A mate of mine is looking at two cars at the weekend, both are 2008 Golf R32's, the only difference is that one is manual and one is DSG.

So does anyone have experience with the DSG and which is the better to go for?

He's had a bit of a look around and the DSG is slightly faster to 60 and does a little better on mpg....but is there any downsides???

Thanks

No, They are fantastic gearbox's. I had one on a Passat 2.0TDI 170 and it was fantastic, I would have one over a manual box everyday of the week.

Comment

they are excellent gearboxes just make sure they have had the gearbox oil /filter changed at the correct times - not too sure what they are on VWs.

I know on Audi's the oil/filter should be changed at 40K.

I say make sure the oil has been changed at the correct times as if VW are anything like Audi (which I am sure they will be) they won't honour any warranty on the gearbox or give any goodwill once out of warranty should it fail and the oil not been changed every 40K.

Charl
      Arden Blue Astra VXR '57' private plate, 19's, Keyless, AFL Xenons+leds, Sight&Light, Alpine W502 Double-din headunit, Percy's oil restrictor bolt, PPP , Opel grill, Scorpion 3" , Forge recirc valve, Eibach Sportlines, Whiteline adjustable rarb, Custom Intercooler, Colour-coded fog rings, White Carbon Fibre roof, grill & boot strip.

Comment

Originally posted by Avo View Post
        He's had a bit of a look around and the DSG is slightly faster to 60 and does a little better on mpg....but is there any downsides???
        Only if you pay extra for a DSG car with paddles too...because you never use them
        sigpic

Comment

Ok cheers guys I'll pass the info on

Comment

the DSG is a nice system just make sure the gearbox has been looked after as they are not cheap to fix
            I would drop the oil an Filter every year on my own car dead easy to do an cheap
            the truth is out there
            part GSI part VXR
            tyre shreding tarmac terrorist

Comment

Theyre fantastic. my dads had dsg on both his r32 and edition30 gti. its amazing get a nice gearchange, smooth and quick. plus if you cba to drive, just leave it in automatic

Comment

I test drove an r32 with dsg and hated it, feels like an old school auto with the seamless gearchanges just a little more refined, makes the car feel slow as hell. Because it feels like one long gear with the power gradually getting less as it goes up the gears, as an auto it's an excellent gearbox but it will always feel like an auto, unlike bmw's smg which changes like a quick manual and can feel it pull again in every gear, my bet is he will prefer the manual
                Stage 3 Arden Astra gone
                Stage 2 burg

....................Arden Astra .....................
                Airtec Fmic/tophat/direct route/miltek/weight reduction/RnD mapped

Comment

Originally posted by Richarl_VXR View Post
                  they are excellent gearboxes just make sure they have had the gearbox oil /filter changed at the correct times - not too sure what they are on VWs.

I know on Audi's the oil/filter should be changed at 40K.

I say make sure the oil has been changed at the correct times as if VW are anything like Audi (which I am sure they will be) they won't honour any warranty on the gearbox or give any goodwill once out of warranty should it fail and the oil not been changed every 40K.

Charl
                  Very true mate.. And yes the VW intervals are 40k too.

Originally posted by Insignia VXR View Post
                  Only if you pay extra for a DSG car with paddles too...because you never use them

Nearly all DSG equipped cars come with paddles as standard now mate Well the sport models do anyway.

Originally posted by R34nel View Post
                  I test drove an r32 with dsg and hated it, feels like an old school auto with the seamless gearchanges just a little more refined, makes the car feel slow as hell. Because it feels like one long gear with the power gradually getting less as it goes up the gears, as an auto it's an excellent gearbox but it will always feel like an auto, unlike bmw's smg which changes like a quick manual and can feel it pull again in every gear, my bet is he will prefer the manual
                  You're kidding right? The SMG box is one of the worst gearboxes i've ever used. When on full chat, each gear change feels like you're being smacked around the head with a bat.. Fine if you like that sort of thing
                  Last edited by 270 Horses, 1 Jockey!; 22 July 2010, 01:04 PM.

Comment

id go manual and then a short shifter.....but the dsg will have launch control ...hmmm still manual for me
                    WARNING all replys are incorrect as usual

Comment

Originally posted by paulk View Post
                      id go manual and then a short shifter.....but the dsg will have launch control ...hmmm still manual for me
                      any updates to your car paul?

Comment

I've driven 2 cars recently with DSG. The new Fabia vRS and the Mk6 Golf GTI. Paddles can be used at anytime whether in Sport or Drive. Sport does hold onto gears for longer which is great on a blast but tiresome round town. Flawless changes between gear changes. Here's my review for the vRS. What I didn't say was that I couldn't go totally nuts with it as I had the salesman right next to me but a fun car nonetheless.

http://www.sanctuary4gamers.com/foru...bia-vRS-Review

Comment

i actually work at a skoda dealership and i must say the new fabia vrs is just flawless tbh the dsg gearbox is amazing the gear changes as so quick and change when you want to not when the gearbox wants to however my only fault with the car is when using the paddles and you do a turn more than say 90 degrees your arms end up all twisted when trying to change up or down and lastly the colour its jsut so sexy rally green

Comment

I'd say go for a gti ed 30!! feel quicker due to the r32 being so heavy!

Comment

Also if going for the DSG make sure it is in warranty because if it goes wrong the only thing vw can change is the mechatronic unit. They are not allowed to strip the gearbox!

Comment

Working...
                              X