This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blue smoke on old mans coupe

ok guys started off with very little smoke put a restictor on and it seems to be worse

when u say valve stem seals are they on the turbo it self? hes not goin thru alot of oil at all????

still pulls well

On the VXR you have turbo oil seals which can weep allowing oil into the exhaust which then get burnt off and causes the smoke.

I believe the valve stem seals are in the engine itself.

Comment

Did you clean out all pipe work Jase?

Could be valve stem seals or the piston rings could be worn, have you compression tested it?
      | Find | Watch | Follow |

Comment

Originally posted by worky View Post
        Did you clean out all pipe work Jase?

Could be valve stem seals or the piston rings could be worn, have you compression tested it?
        havnt dun a compresiion test worky mate, we thoght we wud see how it went with oil restrictor...ppl saying he needs new turbo and he be fine??

av never actually seen a blown astra turbo before its like when he revs it gets worse

Comment

Get a compression test done just to be sure but then again if you are seeing smoke in the exhaust then it will likely be the turbo or the valve stem seals to be honest.

How quickly is it burning oil?

Comment

Get a compression test done just to be sure but then again if you are seeing smoke in the exhaust then it will likely be the turbo or the valve stem seals to be honest.

How quickly is it burning oil?
            hes not goin thru alot of oil if any mate. it might not smoke one day then another day it will its weird...

whats valve stem seals worky? are they expensive to fix

Comment

as jase sed some days it doesnt do it at all.. then just the once is will puff some smoke out..

then it will be fine agen for a while

Comment

valve stem seals are seals on the valve stems, so 16 seals for 16 valves, they sit under the valve spring and stop oil from the cylinder head, going into inlet/exhaust ports and being burnt, these do wear and degrade over time and cuase weepage into the ports which inturn gets burnt and as a product gives off blue smoke. if you have ever seen a cylinder head then you should know if not you wont

Comment

Originally posted by Shaunyboy12 View Post
                  valve stem seals are seals on the valve stems, so 16 seals for 16 valves, they sit under the valve spring and stop oil from the cylinder head, going into inlet/exhaust ports and being burnt, these do wear and degrade over time and cuase weepage into the ports which inturn gets burnt and as a product gives off blue smoke. if you have ever seen a cylinder head then you should know if not you wont

interesting read thanx, is it dear to fix??? that pic is great,

Comment

Jase if you could answer the following questions that would be useful.

Does is smoke initially at startup?
                    Does it smoke when you lift off and watch the rear of the car?

Things I would do are as follows to test.

1. Complete a compression test and take note of the results
                    2. If any of the cylinders differ from the others i.e. low compression put a tea spoon of oil down the cylinder and test again and not the result

If you have low compression during test 1 and subsequently the same cylinder shows the same compression after adding oil the head gasket is potentially knackered. If the second test fixes the problem the piston rings are worn.

If all the above are successful, I expect them to then I would start to look at the valve stem seals. What happens is at night they allow oil to leak into the cylinder and then this is burn't off at startup. Valve stem seals can also leak when you lift of the throttle and the vacuum allows oil to be pushed past the seals.

They are expensive to fix due to the labour cost but the seals are cheap enough to purchase.

It could also be the turbo too though as the restrictor bolt might not be able to fix the issue as the drop in oil pressure might not be sufficient enough to hide the fact the seals are gone in the turbo.

Comment

Jase if you could answer the following questions that would be useful.

Does is smoke initially at startup?
                      Does it smoke when you lift off and watch the rear of the car?

Things I would do are as follows to test.

1. Complete a compression test and take note of the results
                      2. If any of the cylinders differ from the others i.e. low compression put a tea spoon of oil down the cylinder and test again and not the result

If you have low compression during test 1 and subsequently the same cylinder shows the same compression after adding oil the head gasket is potentially knackered. If the second test fixes the problem the piston rings are worn.

If all the above are successful, I expect them to then I would start to look at the valve stem seals. What happens is at night they allow oil to leak into the cylinder and then this is burn't off at startup. Valve stem seals can also leak when you lift of the throttle and the vacuum allows oil to be pushed past the seals.

They are expensive to fix due to the labour cost but the seals are cheap enough to purchase.

It could also be the turbo too though as the restrictor bolt might not be able to fix the issue as the drop in oil pressure might not be sufficient enough to hide the fact the seals are gone in the turbo.

it doesnt smoke when he starts it mate.. and when he revs etc, 9 times out of 10 it doesnt smoke, but then every odd time, just a puff of smoke..

not loosing any oil, and it boost perfect.. were can we do a compression test worky?? and would they be able to tell us anything if owt looks wrong..

Comment

Are you sure you don't have a blocked breather or something?

Probably best to leave it to someone Damo, you can get a compression tester at any decent automotive factors. The instructions will come with the device basically you remove the plugs and test each cylinder in turn ensuring you disable fuelling and the ignition components.

Comment

Are you sure you don't have a blocked breather or something?

Probably best to leave it to someone Damo, you can get a compression tester at any decent automotive factors. The instructions will come with the device basically you remove the plugs and test each cylinder in turn ensuring you disable fuelling and the ignition components.
                          right mate i think that will be our next step tbh.. ill double check the breather etc, but a while ago we cleaned all the pipes out etc and all was good..

Comment

If its not using much oil then it can't be too bad, all the tests I listed will be simple for any competent mechanic to complete.

Comment

If its not using much oil then it can't be too bad, all the tests I listed will be simple for any competent mechanic to complete.
                              cheers worky your top man thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X