X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Career

Hello resident Policeman

Im currently thinking about switching careers and throughout the years ive always thought about joining the police and im just looking for some advice from the few police officers on the forum.

Basically im just looking for some information about the job.

Is it really all paperwork?

Is it a good career choice?

Im nearly 23, and really hate my job im currently in and dont want to regret not changing it before its too late

thanks

you will prob lose a lot of mates if you do lol.. few of my mates joined. and now my circle of firends dont really assosiate with them. they get the god complex
    Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
      you will prob lose a lot of mates if you do lol.. few of my mates joined. and now my circle of firends dont really assosiate with them. they get the god complex
      that wont bother me mate, there problem but im positive my friends will be fine

Comment

I wanted to join but there's no spaces at all where I live

Comment

i would ignore that comment about your friends if they are real friends they will stick with you my mate just left royal mail to become a copper and he will always be my mate

Comment

you will be lucky to get in with all the public sector cuts mate atm
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by billysaph View Post
              you will be lucky to get in with all the public sector cuts mate atm
              yeh ano mate, its just forward planning more than anything

Comment

Yea Ian, strathclyde have stopped recruiting just now mate its a career I'd consider too, just need to see where my job ends up in the near future,

As for the friend comment, I wouldn't worry about that, some people just ain't good friends obviously,

But keep plugging away and you will get there in the end buddy, I wondered about there pensions, I am on a final salary pension just now and would like to keep it that way,
                sigpic

Comment

its crap mate ive been waiting for 12 months for sumat in the west midlands to come up and still nothin and now ive just been told having a 4k a year pay cut (public sector cuts !!)
                  Last edited by billysaph; 8 August 2010, 03:03 PM. Reason: can't spell
                  sigpic

Comment

Good luck mate. I passed all tests passed assessment center final interview medical and physical. I applied over a year ago and im still working in B&Q the torries got in and all recruiting stopped.
                    Astra VXR, Power Red with Hints of Gloss Black and the full PPP setup...... NOW GONE
                    Mazda 3 MPS Aluminum silver. Standard for now......
                    Astra CDTI 200 bhp No smoke No poke!!

If in Doubt Flat Out 'Colin Macrae'

Comment

Originally posted by earley View Post
                      Good luck mate. I passed all tests passed assessment center final interview medical and physical. I applied over a year ago and im still working in B&Q the torries got in and all recruiting stopped.
                      yeh ano mate, its crap but it will pick up in the future

Comment

I also want to join the police but same issue, no vacancies. All the best though mate, Im only 20 however lol so not sure if Im ready to join yet. been honest about that though rather than jumping straight in. deffo a good career in my eyes though

Comment

Originally posted by IanS21 View Post
                          Hello resident Policeman

Im currently thinking about switching careers and throughout the years ive always thought about joining the police and im just looking for some advice from the few police officers on the forum.

Basically im just looking for some information about the job.

Is it really all paperwork?

Is it a good career choice?

Im nearly 23, and really hate my job im currently in and dont want to regret not changing it before its too late

thanks
                          Its a great career move mate, sadly there will be no recruitment in scotland for approx 5 years

Is it all paperwork, well yes a lot of your day is taken up with doing reports for court and writing statements
                          as i say great career choice with an amazing pension, as far as friends are concerned you will make many whilst at college and any friends you currently have will still be friends if they have nothing to hide

Comment

Go for it! It's a brilliant job. All you need to be a good police officer, is to have a bit of common sence, to be honest & fair, and have a $hit load of patience! It is very hard to get into at the moment though. One of the PCSOs that I know has a degree in forensics, but she has been turned down twice already by the Met!

The only advice that I could give, is to put as much effort into your application as you can, as they are being really picky about who they are accepting. (when they're recruting at all, that is.)

Also try being a special for a while, that will give you a glimpse of what it's all about, and will give you a "way in".

Good luck, whatever you choose to do though.
                            sigpic

Comment

Go for it mate!

I've been in the job for the past 4 years and enjoy every minute of it.

It does involve a lot of paperwork, but you kind of get used to it! Lol

A lot of forces have a recruitment freeze at the moment, I know North Wales have said for the next two years. You may find this a problem.

As for loosing friends......I didn't loose any of mine!

Go for it mate, and good luck!
                              12 plate Astra GTC SRi cdti 165 stop/start in white.

Comment

Working...
                              X