This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daft German Law.....

Thought I'd share this one with you Guys...

I'm currently in Germany with my in-laws (in my Mrs Zaffy). Decided to wash it yesterday as it was covered in sand from our Italian holiday. Having completed the job I was advised by a neighbour that it is now illegal to wash your own car outside your house, on your drive or road. This apparently is down to some new environmental law where they don't want any detergents entering the water system. The only place you can wash your pride & joy is either at an automated car wash or designated cleaning centre where they capture the water for recycling. Even then, these places are closed on Sundays. I kid you not!

Can you imagine the impact if this law was adopted in the UK? What the hell would every car owning male do with themselves on a sunday afternoon???

if it was put in over here i can see a massive increase in pregnancys lmao :P

Comment

il simply wash my car in my drive and say f'off its private land

Comment

m8 i spent 9yrs livin over there in the Army British i may add the best thing about germany apart from it being the cleanest country probably in the world... the motor way where there is no speen limits had some fun on them roads

Comment

Originally posted by JonesyVXR8 View Post
          Thought I'd share this one with you Guys...

I'm currently in Germany with my in-laws (in my Mrs Zaffy). Decided to wash it yesterday as it was covered in sand from our Italian holiday. Having completed the job I was advised by a neighbour that it is now illegal to wash your own car outside your house, on your drive or road. This apparently is down to some new environmental law where they don't want any detergents entering the water system. The only place you can wash your pride & joy is either at an automated car wash or designated cleaning centre where they capture the water for recycling. Even then, these places are closed on Sundays. I kid you not!

Can you imagine the impact if this law was adopted in the UK? What the hell would every car owning male do with themselves on a sunday afternoon???
          Been law over there for years mate, and whether its private driveway or not does not make a difference (not sure who said it).

You can wash your car perfectly legally anywhere .... (providing you only use clear water). How much good that would do though, I would hate to think.

Many other laws in germany people dont know, like hanging washing out on a sunday is prohibited.

Comment

I too lived in Germany for a year for work but not with the army (on a side note my mums German). There's so much that you can't do on a Sunday as everything is closed. Sunday is the most boring day there on earth!!!! That's why I used to party all night then go to bed 7am Sunday morning and just sleep the whole day

Comment

how crud is that

Comment

If its in Germany then its probably part of a new EU directive and it'll be here in 2 years
                Originally posted by Bobbyp90
                Yes Tom! You're a freaking genius!
                sigpic
                Corsa "user guide" , VXR Car Game
                South East Regional Organiser

PSN: TomFL12

Comment

law for ages here buddy

right about just using water though
                  my mate uses his pressure washer and nothing else when her cars full of crap, just gets the bulk off

luckily i live opposite one of the karcher washpoints
                  its out of street view
                  and i know the owner
                  so im often there on sundays
                  Insignia SRi VX-Line RED
                  ^^Click here to see it^^

Comment

Well, im not too sure of my facts here but under section 137 of The Highways act 1980 you only have a right of way on any highway, no more, parking, which is an obstruction to free passage and any other activity is just tolerated although some activity might be considered incidental to your use of the highway like repairing a broken down car but not general servicing and repairs.

I was also under the impression this could include washing your car on the public highway in the UK even, as it could be classed as an obstruction ???

Hopefully Moeman will be along later to confirm properly
                    sigpic

Comment

I have heard of this, there is even talk of your local water company issuing water Discharge Licences, which means if you use detergents to wash your car on the road or your private drive you will need to apply for one.

Even on private land the storm drains where the waste water runs to come under the remit as they all end up at a treatment plant, god knows how much a discharge licence will cost, I have to purchase these licences for my site and my company pay over 4k per annum !!!!! and thats simply for cleaning the site entrance of mud no detergents or chemicals.
                      sigpic

V8, not for everyone but 10/10 for your effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Astra VXR Damo View Post
                        il simply wash my car in my drive and say f'off its private land
                        But if the waste dirty/soapy water runs off your 'private land' into the drainage system your foooked.
                        Last edited by miniman; 14 August 2010, 02:19 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

A bit off topic but, is it still the case that high street main store/shops etc are only open on the first saturday of the month in germany ?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by miniman View Post
                            A bit off topic but, is it still the case that high street main store/shops etc are only open on the first saturday of the month in germany ?
                            nah, everything is open now on saturdays

nothing opens on sundays apart from 2-3 times a year when everything opens for 1 sunday

its pretty random imo
                            Insignia SRi VX-Line RED
                            ^^Click here to see it^^

Comment

german stupid laws lol

there is just a few, feel free to add your own if you know any.

1.no washing cars on a sunday
                              2. no washing cars/bikes with detergents anywhere other than designated places
                              3. men cannot park in womens parking places(there bigger cause there poo drivers)
                              4. no washing lines up on a sunday
                              5. no loud music after 10pm
                              6. no noise music between 1 and 3pm
                              7. no NAZI saluting in the streets lol
                              8. you must park the way the road is going (cannot park on the left but on the right which is the side you drive on)
                              9. no lorries are allowed on public roads on sunday

Comment

Working...
                              X