X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Vec VXR to Mazda MPS

Hi everyone.

You might remember I owned a Vectra VXR from May 2009, but I sold it for financial reasons in Feb 2010.

I wanted to get an Alfa or BMW diesel to save on running costs but after selling the vectra I was refused car finance so had to buy one of these which was a bit of a culture shock

Then I sold that, made a profit and bought another MG ZS 180. This one was a supercharger development car but had the supercharger removed by MG when they went into administration. The car had a one-off bonnet bulge, full stainless exhaust and lots of factory extras - and I've owned two before, so knew what to look out for.

That was only 190bhp and I couldn't put up with that for long, so I sold it and bought another vectra VXR over the phone. I got accepted for the finance and told the guy I'd phone back the next day to pay the holding deposit over the phone.

But....when I called back the following day, he said he didn't believe I'd call back, ripped up the finance documents and sold the car to another customer!!

There weren't any more Vectras at the time so I bought a Mazda 3 MPS.

The MPS has a full CP-E exhaust system and a corksport sri induction system. It's booked in for a remap on 24th September which should see it at about 310bhp and 350lb/ft. There's much further tuning potential with a front mount intercooler, uprated fuel pump internals, reinforced engine mounts etc.

I still don't like it as much as my original vectra. It's a tiny bit faster as it's nearly 200kg lighter, but for the all-round package I'd still take back my Vectra if offered a swap.
    Last edited by staccato; 18 August 2010, 11:34 AM.

The bonnet bulge in the MG looks good

Comment

The MPS is a nice car couple of guys at work have one and apart from the fuel costs(not as bad as vec) they love them not sure they'd agree with it being faster than the vec but it could just be their driving.

smart car you'll enjoy it and the vec will become just a memory

Comment

ur old vectra is for sale on ebay now btw!

Comment

Nice post but still rather have vxr anyday. I like the side
          vents on the mg! V nice. Did you have much trouble doing the rear boot strip on yr old
          Vec?

Comment

Originally posted by RayWilliams View Post
            ur old vectra is for sale on ebay now btw!
            good spot! Ah I miss that car. He's asking for more than I sold it to him for so he'll make a good profit if he sells it for £12k.

Comment

Originally posted by A9121646 View Post
              Nice post but still rather have vxr anyday. I like the side
              vents on the mg! V nice. Did you have much trouble doing the rear boot strip on yr old
              Vec?
              it was a bit fiddly. 2 nuts on inside of boot lid, then a few clips. All I'll say it wait about 2 days for the strip to dry before putting on. It requires lots of pushing to get the clips back in place - easy to leave prints in the new paintwork even when you think it's dry.

Comment

Very nice car the mazda - where abouts are you getting it remapped as one of my pals is looking into it and cant find anyone apparently...
                Vectra 2.0 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by gil16e View Post
                  Very nice car the mazda - where abouts are you getting it remapped as one of my pals is looking into it and cant find anyone apparently...
                  sanspeed in Bexleyheath, Kent

Comment

Hey everyone - I'm still popping in and out from time to time. My brother bought my old vectra back from the guy I originally sold it to so it's kinda weird to see that back again.

There's been loads of developments to my Mazda 3 MPS in the last two months so I thought I'd give an update.....

The car already had a full exhaust system on it, but since buying it I've now done the following:

Corksport induction kit
                    Corksport turbo inlet pipe
                    Denso ITV24 plugs (2 steps colder than standard)
                    CP-E solid rear engine mount
                    EBC drilled and grooved front discs
                    EBC yellowstuff front pads
                    Forge recirculation valve
                    Forge front mount intercooler
                    Turbo rebuilt and blueprinted by Turbo Dynamics
                    PTP uprated fuel pump internals
                    Bilstein B6 dampers
                    Focus RS powerflex exhaust mounts
                    Pirelli P-Zero Rosso tyres
                    J-Speed short gear shift linkage plate
                    Rear clear foglight housing
                    D1 racing wheel nuts
                    Silicone vacuum tubes
                    DG motorsports rear spoiler extension (awaiting delivery)
                    Sure Motorsports gear shifter base solid bushes (awaiting delivery)

I've done a lot of cosmetic mods like respraying the badges black, taking off the side rubbing strips, replacing some of the bulbs with whiter or LED bulbs etc too.

It had it's final remap Thursday this week and produced an end result of 325bhp and 350lb/ft. Due to the engine mount, dampers, LSD and the good tyres there's absolutely no drama at all putting that power down. Not a hint of torque steer and no break in tyre grip even in this weather.

The engine mods weren't all planned. I had the car mapped 2 months ago and the turbo seals failed which forced a rebuild by Turbo Dynamics (cost covered by my tuner). I supplied the intercooler and that was fitted free of charge whilst the turbo was off. The car was mapped again, and the fuel pump internals weren't delivering the fuel needed so I bought new internals from America. They're usually £300 but I found some on ebay from a guy in Florida who had his car taken away by his finance company before fitting them, and I got them for £150. Once they were in it was mapped again and achieved the above figures with 0% correction factor in ambient temperature, so it was a completely raw and accurate result.

Here's a few recent pics:

Here's a pic of the rear spoiler extension I've got on order from the states. I wanted the front lip spoiler as well but came to the conclusion that it would make the car pretty useless for daily use.

Last edited by staccato; 28 November 2010, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Ooft plenty of cool stuff for the Mazda, stunning car bud, 1 question, how the hell do you get off your drive with all them cars
                      sigpic

Comment

moving to general chat

my VXR history: Arden Corsa, Astra Nurburgring, Corsa Arctic, Evoke VXR8, Black Corsa, Silver Vectra, a long weekend with an Insignia, a chilli burger and now a siggy tourer!

Comment

Originally posted by vxr-bandit View Post
                          Ooft plenty of cool stuff for the Mazda, stunning car bud, 1 question, how the hell do you get off your drive with all them cars
                          lol forward planning or making the owners get off their arses and moving them when someone at the top needs to get out!

Yeah that's what I love about the MPS. I'm really into modifying and the amount of parts (albeit from the US) is excellent. There's normally at least 5 different manufacturers making the same part for you to choose between.

Comment

Originally posted by staccato View Post
                            Hey everyone - I'm still popping in and out from time to time. My brother bought my old vectra back from the guy I originally sold it to so it's kinda weird to see that back again.

There's been loads of developments to my Mazda 3 MPS in the last two months so I thought I'd give an update.....

The car already had a full exhaust system on it, but since buying it I've now done the following:

Corksport induction kit
                            Corksport turbo inlet pipe
                            Denso ITV24 plugs (2 steps colder than standard)
                            CP-E solid rear engine mount
                            EBC drilled and grooved front discs
                            EBC yellowstuff front pads
                            Forge recirculation valve
                            Forge front mount intercooler
                            Turbo rebuilt and blueprinted by Turbo Dynamics
                            PTP uprated fuel pump internals
                            Bilstein B6 dampers
                            Focus RS powerflex exhaust mounts
                            Pirelli P-Zero Rosso tyres
                            J-Speed short gear shift linkage plate
                            Rear clear foglight housing
                            D1 racing wheel nuts
                            Silicone vacuum tubes
                            DG motorsports rear spoiler extension (awaiting delivery)
                            Sure Motorsports gear shifter base solid bushes (awaiting delivery)

I've done a lot of cosmetic mods like respraying the badges black, taking off the side rubbing strips, replacing some of the bulbs with whiter or LED bulbs etc too.

It had it's final remap Thursday this week and produced an end result of 325bhp and 350lb/ft. Due to the engine mount, dampers, LSD and the good tyres there's absolutely no drama at all putting that power down. Not a hint of torque steer and no break in tyre grip even in this weather.

The engine mods weren't all planned. I had the car mapped 2 months ago and the turbo seals failed which forced a rebuild by Turbo Dynamics (cost covered by my tuner). I supplied the intercooler and that was fitted free of charge whilst the turbo was off. The car was mapped again, and the fuel pump internals weren't delivering the fuel needed so I bought new internals from America. They're usually £300 but I found some on ebay from a guy in Florida who had his car taken away by his finance company before fitting them, and I got them for £150. Once they were in it was mapped again and achieved the above figures with 0% correction factor in ambient temperature, so it was a completely raw and accurate result.

Here's a few recent pics:

Here's a pic of the rear spoiler extension I've got on order from the states. I wanted the front lip spoiler as well but came to the conclusion that it would make the car pretty useless for daily use.

i like the look of that masda . which model/spec is that ?
                            ''we do not quit modifying because we grow old,''

'' we grow old because we quit modifying ''

Comment

Originally posted by VXR PAUL View Post
                              i like the look of that masda . which model/spec is that ?
                              It's a mazda 3 MPS exactly the same as mine, but in the US they call it a Mazdaspeed 3. The red one is fitted with the front lip spoiler, rear spoiler extension and fibreglass bonnet all made by DG motorsports in the US.

The alloy wheels are 18" advans at over £1200 per set WITHOUT tyres!

Comment

Working...
                              X