This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBC in fight against Stig autobiography

The BBC is fighting to keep Top Gear's mystery driver The Stig from revealing his identity.
    The corporation has launched a legal bid to stop the faceless show favourite - who speeds around a race track with a blackened visor - writing his autobiography.

BBC lawyers claim he is subject to a confidentiality agreement and unmasking himself would spoil viewers' enjoyment of the BBC Two programme, which is one of the channel's most popular.

The Stig famously takes to the track in an assortment of cars, as well as training celebrities to set lap times in Top Gear's popular "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car" segment.

According to the BBC, his autobiography breaches "agreed contractual and confidentiality obligations" relating to the programme".

Clad in race overalls and a helmet, the driver's identity has long been a closely-guarded show secret, spawning T-shirts emblazoned with slogans like "My Dad is The Stig".

Only a handful of executives and Top Gear presenters Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May are said to know who he is.

Several racing drivers have been linked to the role, including former Formula One world champions Damon Hill and Michael Schumacher.

Clarkson and his fellow presenters have all enjoyed spin-off success from Top Gear, such as books and other TV work.

The current Stig is the show's second. The original, Perry McCarthy, was dropped after his identity was discovered.

So who is the present 'stig' ?
    sigpic

Ben Collins

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by miniman View Post

The current Stig is the show's second. The original, Perry McCarthy, was dropped after his identity was discovered.

I have his autobiography , he left due to commitments with Audi in the LMS europe race series not because his identity came out
      sigpic
      Originally posted by soosie
      Gosh Cerberus , yours is exceptionally long !
      Originally posted by soosie
      Gosh Cerberus , really, really HUGE !

Comment

Originally posted by randomgary View Post
        Ben Collins
        Funny enough a mate and I were talking about this a few days ago and he said exactly the same as you Gary, although I was under the impression it regularly changes from one person to the next, and not just one person all the time.

What makes you say him then dare I ask?
        Astra Edition #105
        Courtenay Sport Stage 3|K04 Hybrid Turbo|Forge Intercooler|Collins Dump Valve|Courtenay Actuator and Top Hat|Crossover Delete with Panel Filter|Oil Restrictor Bolt|Cool Running Thermostat|DAP R's|KSport 8 pot Brakes|Remus|Quaife LSD|Mtech Short Shifter|RARB|Retrofit AFL's and Cruise Control|3 Gauge Conversion|Red and Blue SMD|Heko deflectors|Eonon Double Din

Comment

Originally posted by L3E_A_X View Post
          Funny enough a mate and I were talking about this a few days ago and he said exactly the same as you Gary, although I was under the impression it regularly changes from one person to the next, and not just one person all the time.

What makes you say him then dare I ask?
          ooooooooooooooooooold new's
          http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle5548705.ece

Corsa VXR now sold

Comment

he was nammed in the crash investigation at hammponds jet car wreck and on another occasion where they parachuted a man into the rear of a merc with the helmate on the stig couldnt see the parachutest so insted they used a racing driver called BEN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjsOYmdk9xY

sigpic

Comment

My bad then, I've been living under a rock the past few months lol
              Astra Edition #105
              Courtenay Sport Stage 3|K04 Hybrid Turbo|Forge Intercooler|Collins Dump Valve|Courtenay Actuator and Top Hat|Crossover Delete with Panel Filter|Oil Restrictor Bolt|Cool Running Thermostat|DAP R's|KSport 8 pot Brakes|Remus|Quaife LSD|Mtech Short Shifter|RARB|Retrofit AFL's and Cruise Control|3 Gauge Conversion|Red and Blue SMD|Heko deflectors|Eonon Double Din

Comment

Everyone knows it's Ben Collins - we've had plenty of threads on the subject

http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...t=collins+stig

http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...t=collins+stig

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stig

Astra

Comment

i think its damon hill
                  Insignia SRi VX-Line RED
                  ^^Click here to see it^^

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
                    I have his autobiography , he left due to commitments with Audi in the LMS europe race series not because his identity came out
                    ''Perry McCarthy, a previous Stig who wore a black suit, was fired off the deck of a warship after revealing his role as the character in his autobiography''. (Thanks rich.corsa.vxr)
                    sigpic

Comment

Yeah just been researchin it all on google Ian!

It was rumoured to be him in Jan 09 lol! Oops!

It is still only alleged tho so not definitely him, just likely!
                      Astra Edition #105

Comment

Originally posted by L3E_A_X View Post
                        Yeah just been researchin it all on google Ian!

It was rumoured to be him in Jan 09 lol! Oops!

It is still only alleged tho so not definitely him, just likely!
                        That's because if it was confirmed (would need to be the BBC or the driver himself) then he would be replaced as it's contractual

If you want a challenge to figure out who someone is go find out who Banksy the artist is

Astra

Comment

Current one,as said,is BEN COLLINS,but at the SILVERSTONE 24HR race there were three more.

Comment

When Top Gear test ferraris on the show I was under the impression that they sent their own drivers, who then dress up as the stig. Its mainly Ben Collins, but there are obviously a few more that dress up if needed.

Comment

Perry Mcarthy also has the shortest ever F1 career, qualified for his 1st race, stalled on the grid on the warm up lap and never raced in F1 again

The Stig has been a few people, it certainly wasn't the same guy who jumped a snow mobile off a ski ramp.... And there are rumours that it has been various test drivers for manufacturer' who want there car to get the best lap possible...

Also the reason Schumacher was on as the Stig was a) to drive HIS FXX roud the track, and the same year there was a 2 seater F1 car at the Britis GP wit 'the stig' driving. This was also strongly rumoured to be Schumacherr - hence his appearence on the show also.

Comment

Working...
                              X