This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone into road biking?

im thinking about getting a road bike on the bike to work scheme that my work is doing, now ive spent some hours looking at different bikes and have found this particularaly one:

http://www.ashcycles.com/site/index....20&language=en

now im asking all the pro's does it look like a good spec for a beginer?

any advice would be brilliant

Thanks
    Michael
    2008 Black Shaphire Astra VXR Ko6 Hybrid Turbo, Airtec Stage 2 Cooler, Piper 3" Decat and Resonated, CDTi Airbox, Bilstein B8's with Eibach Sportline Springs, Whiteline Rear Anti Roll Bar, Wavetrac Diff, Ksport 356mm Brakes, 18" Revolution Milleniums and lots more

anyone?
    2008 Black Shaphire Astra VXR Ko6 Hybrid Turbo, Airtec Stage 2 Cooler, Piper 3" Decat and Resonated, CDTi Airbox, Bilstein B8's with Eibach Sportline Springs, Whiteline Rear Anti Roll Bar, Wavetrac Diff, Ksport 356mm Brakes, 18" Revolution Milleniums and lots more

Comment

Do you want info on a bike, or how the scheme works and the taxable consequences?

Comment

just on the bike please

Comment

If you are merely using it to go to work, unsuitable IMO

You really want a hybrid ie. a cross between a mountainbike and a racer, else it will kill your back and will be hard to carry anything anyway due to the position you naturally have with a true racer.

Thats my opinion anyway, hth
          sigpic

Comment

it wont only be used for work, will use it alot for going out at the weekend really, im looking at getting into it pretty good and getting pretty fit in the mean time

Comment

Originally posted by Michaelh View Post
              it wont only be used for work, will use it alot for going out at the weekend really, im looking at getting into it pretty good and getting pretty fit in the mean time
              same applies

Hybrid unless you want to go cycling with a proper club

PM IanJ and ask him how, he's getting on with his
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by R15VXR View Post

PM IanJ and ask him how, he's getting on with his
                Cruel - you know me and the bike are bonding s l o w l y

To the OP I'd check out bikeradar.com and see the reviews as they tend to do a good review of starter bikes etc

Are you tied in to just the one bike shop or have you got the full range of cycle scheme shops.

At that budget the Merida stuff looks quite good also Cube as well imo

Astra

Comment

IMO , you need something from this section;

http://www.cyclecentreuk.co.uk/produ...id=m13b0s167p0

Look at the GTs in particular

Will help keep your back fairly straight.....

otherwise you can make me an offer on my racer if you like - Its a Brian Rouke racer with Shimano Integra 600 groupset and the like, renolds 531 framing blah blah blah as I never seem to use it nowadays...
                  sigpic

Comment

or here

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/rangeVie...p?categoryID=8
                    sigpic

Comment

last time i asked a question like that ( tread title ) the missus gave me a slap

Comment

check the roads you are going to be cycling on... lots of potholes glass etc.. then your gonna be replacing wheels and tyres.

i went for a mountain bike with front suspension. which you can lock out on the road and change when you get to the known bump/rough bits.

with a race bike you will find you will be shaken to death bumpy all over the road and most probably die lol

i do 14miles a day to work and back and my advice would be make sure you get a good seat and some padded cycle shorts

check out these bikes. if your set on a road bike.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165710

but a better choice would be a mountain bike with front suspension thats lockable

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165499

and bike ive just got that works pretty well and can get good speed out of on or off the road (can take a shortcut throught the woods on the way home)

Last edited by Ghost; 24 August 2010, 12:07 AM.
                        Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
                          check the roads you are going to be cycling on... lots of potholes glass etc.. then your gonna be replacing wheels and tyres.

i went for a mountain bike with front suspension. which you can lock out on the road and change when you get to the known bump/rough bits.

with a race bike you will find you will be shaken to death bumpy all over the road and most probably die lol

i do 14miles a day to work and back and my advice would be make sure you get a good seat and some padded cycle shorts

check out these bikes. if your set on a road bike.

but a better choice would be a mountain bike with front suspension thats lockable

and bike ive just got that works pretty well and can get good speed out of on or off the road (can take a shortcut throught the woods on the way home)

I agree about the shorts and a decent seat

But I disagree with getting a mountain bike with suspension forks whether you lock them out or not it's pointless to carry extra weight and on a road the extra weight takes away the pleasure imo
                          Also with a mountain bike the tyres are far too chunky and also kill progress - Rich's advice to get a hybrid would be the best solution if it's for commuting - if it's for road riding purely as a fitness/hobby (as the OP said) then the basic road bike wins the argument

Astra

Comment

Originally posted by IanJ View Post
                            I agree about the shorts and a decent seat

But I disagree with getting a mountain bike with suspension forks whether you lock them out or not it's pointless to carry extra weight and on a road the extra weight takes away the pleasure imo
                            Also with a mountain bike the tyres are far too chunky and also kill progress - Rich's advice to get a hybrid would be the best solution if it's for commuting - if it's for road riding purely as a fitness/hobby (as the OP said) then the basic road bike wins the argument
                            yeah but if you have lots of uneven road surfaces and kerbs etc the front suspension bike seems a better idea. i only know this as i learnt the hard way.. fracturing the radial bone in my arm.. and going through wheels all the time!

it all depends on distance and road surface,
                            yes you can argue you are carrying a lot more weight but then again have a lot more gears.. had a mini race with a lycra clad bloke other morning and over took him with ease as i just had more gears than he did..

i prefer the mountain bikes i listed light weight and good spec for commuting.

the road bikes too good spec for the money, and if its only a hobby no point spending 1k on a bike until you know your into it.
                            Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
                              yeah but if you have lots of uneven road surfaces and kerbs etc the front suspension bike seems a better idea. i only know this as i learnt the hard way.. fracturing the radial bone in my arm.. and going through wheels all the time!

it all depends on distance and road surface,
                              yes you can argue you are carrying a lot more weight but then again have a lot more gears.. had a mini race with a lycra clad bloke other morning and over took him with ease as i just had more gears than he did..

i prefer the mountain bikes i listed light weight and good spec for commuting.

the road bikes too good spec for the money, and if its only a hobby no point spending 1k on a bike until you know your into it.
                              If you need a moutain bike over a hybrid for the roads near you, then you should be on to the council lol

You don't pass someone because you have more gears in all honesty, it's all in the lungs and legs, you just had better than the lycra dude .
                              I generally never come off the top chainring 52T and that's why I didn't get a bike on a triple (most the entry level road bikes are triples these days) as I would never use them, but I do need to get out more often as the bike is getting dusty

Astra

Comment

Working...
                              X