X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the hardest man in afghanistan

this picture is not set up! this was taken during a job in Afghanistan

this is Corporal Willie Apiata VC

Willy is a total man mountain. If you endanger his friends he will endanger you! however willy is not your typical "hard man"

here he was at the announcement of his VC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sUdvlrRka0

what a legend!

sigpic

Wow what a nice and humble guy. He seems to be in awe of his VC Gary. Nice to see him being honoured in that way, as he says "this is me" just a down to earth soldier doing his job and protecting his mates too. Well done big man and to all our guys fighting out in that horrible place.

Comment

thanks for sharing this mate,
      Tuned by RnD Motorsport

Comment

Legendary story mate, not too far away from your story too Gary, very brave men out there,

I see what you mean by man mountain, he is like a bloody linebacker but very humble man, who only looks out for the safety of his mates, with total disregard to his own safety
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stewarty-vxr View Post
          Legendary story mate, not too far away from your story too Gary, very brave men out there,

I see what you mean by man mountain, he is like a bloody linebacker but very humble man, who only looks out for the safety of his mates, with total disregard to his own safety

i dont believe his citation is public stewarty however to put this in context the NZ government were playing down the role of NZSAS in afghanistan! they were trying to give the impression of them not doing an awfull lot yet this mans actions made them smash the official line to award him with the VC

I believe it will be many many years before we know the truth!

sigpic

Comment

I could only read the story on Wikipedia buddy, I was going with that
            sigpic

Comment

http://www.google.com/m/url?client=m...OpWCOq5uxtCwDA
              sigpic

Comment

"In total disregard of his own safety, Lance Corporal Apiata stood up and lifted his comrade bodily. He then carried him across the seventy metres of broken, rocky and fire swept ground, fully exposed in the glare of battle to heavy enemy fire and into the face of returning fire from the main Troop position. That neither he nor his colleague were hit is scarcely possible. Having delivered his wounded companion to relative shelter with the remainder of the patrol, Lance Corporal Apiata re-armed himself and rejoined the fight in counter-attack."

yea heavily censored and designed to give a brief description of the action. with it being a SF job too there will be alot kept behind the sceenes! you have a pm imbound!!!

sigpic

Comment

Without a doubt there is a lot more to it, can't believe how humble he is about it, "do you see yourself the living legend?" "no I see myself as Willie apiata, what you see is what you get"
                  What a legendary man, you wouldn't argue with him that's for sure
                  sigpic

Comment

Watched it, what a legend.

I saw some comments on the video, I hope the guy uploads the whole doc - i'd love to watch it through.
                    Corsa VXR Arctic Edition

http://www.facebook.co.uk/ES6Forum

Comment

Good work.

Legend

Comment

http://www.victoriacross.org.uk/bbapiat2.htm
                        Bill Apiata said "It was important the VC be protected for future generations and by gifting it to the NZSAS Trust, I know my wishes will always be respected."
                        The NZSAS Chairman said the decision to gift the Cross was extraordinary and the trust was pleased to accept responsibility for ensuring Corporal Apiata's wishes would always be adhered to.

Comment

i just can't think of any words to describe what a legend he and others out there are

Corsa VXR now sold

Comment

Working...
                          X