This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Section 59

as above i have recently aquired one of these for full throttle acceleration in a few gears now they kept asking me for the speed i was doing but i didnt give them a clue weather they didnt have it recorded and were trying to catch me out im not sure , but instead the gave me one of these.

question :- can they really crush my car even on finance. or is there anyway to get it back if it gets impounded ?
    INSIGNIA VXR

Don't hold me to this but my mate has got one! Last for a year I think but if caught again then the car gets impounded and you just pay to get it back! Don't know whether that brings anymore charges onto yourself or not though!
    sigpic

Comment

hi,

think the way it works is you get a section 59 warning and that goes down in your name and on the car so it doesnt matter if you sell it. If you get caught driving like it again then they can take the car off you and i beleive that you have to pay a fee to claim the car back but im not 100% sure on that last bit.

Comment

Sec 59 lasts for a year, and if a second is had within that 12 monhs the car will be seized.

You then pay a fee to get the car back from the pound.

For 12 months after that you only need 1 Sec 59 to have it seized again.

Hope that helps.
        12 plate Astra GTC SRi cdti 165 stop/start in white.

Comment

the copper that issued it with me was saying that if i get another one within the 12months then il be getting my car back remoulded into a nice lil coffee table. quote in his words exactly. .

absolutly bricking it as he was saying they just need a complaint off a member of public to complain about my exhaust or loud music or anything else that can cause distress. im so scared off the remus popping in town centres :-( or busy places
          INSIGNIA VXR

Comment

Originally posted by Bigshoetimmy View Post
            hi,

think the way it works is you get a section 59 warning and that goes down in your name and on the car so it doesnt matter if you sell it. If you get caught driving like it again then they can take the car off you and i beleive that you have to pay a fee to claim the car back but im not 100% sure on that last bit.
            Correct.

Recovery fees are around £125 and then £15 a day storage fees. If you fail to claim the vehicle within 2 weeks the garage reserve the right to sell it, or if its a banger crush it and sell it for scrap.

Comment

I'm confused as to the reason for the section 59. I had thought that acceleration was legal as long as your not speeding? What part of the puzzle am I missing?

Comment

It's a grey area mate!
                12 plate Astra GTC SRi cdti 165 stop/start in white.

Comment

Have a search I have posted a number of comments re S59 (I wrote my old force's policy)

my VXR history: Arden Corsa, Astra Nurburgring, Corsa Arctic, Evoke VXR8, Black Corsa, Silver Vectra, a long weekend with an Insignia, a chilli burger and now a siggy tourer!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanners View Post
                    I'm confused as to the reason for the section 59. I had thought that acceleration was legal as long as your not speeding? What part of the puzzle am I missing?
                    I want to know this answer too. i've overtaken cops before using full throttle simply because they were doing 45 in a 60max. they didnt chase. I do full throttle to the speed limit a lot and police dont give a hoot. just look then carry on sleeping.
                    sigpic

Comment

quick google search

Section 59: Vehicles used in a manner causing alarm, distress or
                      annoyance

326. This section gives the police new powers to deal with the anti-social
                      use of motor vehicles on public roads or off-road. It includes (under
                      subsections (1) and (3)) powers to stop and to seize and to remove motor
                      vehicles where they are being driven off-road contrary to section 34 of the
                      Road Traffic Act 1988 or on the public road or other public place without due
                      care and attention or reasonable consideration for other road users, contrary
                      to section 3 of the 1988 Act (as substituted by section 2 of the Road Traffic
                      Act 1991). By virtue of subsection (8 ), these new police powers will not be
                      exercisable until regulations under section 60 of this Act are in force.

327. Subsections (3) and (7) provide that an officer may enter premises,
                      other than a private dwelling house, for the purpose of exercising these
                      powers.

328. Under subsection (6), it is an offence for a person to fail to stop a
                      vehicle when required to do so by a police officer acting in accordance with
                      this section. The offence is punishable, on summary conviction, to a fine not
                      exceeding level 3 on the standard scale (currently £1000).

329. Subsection (4) requires the officer to warn the person before seizing
                      the vehicle, to enable its anti-social use to be stopped. By virtue of subsection
                      (5), the requirement to give prior warning does not apply where it is
                      impracticable to do so or where a warning has previously been given.

CORSA VXR NURBURGRING #008 NOW ON THE ROAD

Comment

Working...
                      X