X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting Help

Alright everyone ,

I've got a spare set of the chrome fog surrounds that I'm going to paint black but I need some advice. I'm the worst ever at DIY and this will be my first ever attempt at painting something or than a wall.

What do I need to prep them?
    What is the best primer? (Read somewhere on here about etch or something stop stone chips, to an extent?)
    Whats the best paint?
    What about lacquer can I get one that helps stop as many stone chips?

Any help is greatly appreciated as always

P.S: Just thought I'd throw this out there, how much should I expect to pay for my wing mirror covers to be painted black?

Cheers,
    H
    sigpic
    Arden Blue Astra , 19's, Bluetooth, Full Leather, Stage 2 Ready
    Wanted: 18" Black Wheels, maybe an FMIC and Stage 2

prep is easy mate just rub back with a fine sandpaper just make sure it is nice and smooth no chunks missing. then make sure you get it clean to get grease and crap off.

no idea about what paints are best sure someone will answer that for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonesy84 View Post
      prep is easy mate just rub back with a fine sandpaper just make sure it is nice and smooth no chunks missing. then make sure you get it clean to get grease and crap off.

no idea about what paints are best sure someone will answer that for you.
      Cheers mate, would any sand paper be ok?
      sigpic

Comment

start with 320 grit paper, you want to knock the shine off them so they are dull, then work up the grades 600, 800,
        then a coat of plastic primer then 2-3 thin/light coats of normal primer leaving around 15-20 mins between each coat, leave for a good few hours in a warm place,
        once dry wet sand with 800/1000 wet and dry paper, don't rub through the primer, if you do you will need to reprime,
        dry/clean them off,
        3-4 thin/light coats of gloss black paint, again leaving 15-20 mins between coats, there is no need to sand between coats, its a waste of time and pretty much does nothing to the final finish, only time this should be done is if you get runs which you will need to wait til the paint is dry, wet sand the runs with 800/1000 and then repaint,
        leave about 20 mins after the last coat of paint and then 3 thin/light coats of lacquer, again 15-20 mins between coats, again only sand in between coats if you have runs etc,
        leave to dry for 24-48 hours, you can then refit or if you want you can wet sand with 2000 wet and dry and then use a cutting compound to bring the shine/gloss back up.

halfords lacquer is crap, don't bother with it, try and find a local motor factors who mixes cans or a paint/bodyshop supplier is always best

Comment

Originally posted by beckford View Post
          start with 320 grit paper, you want to knock the shine off them so they are dull, then work up the grades 600, 800,
          then a coat of plastic primer then 2-3 thin/light coats of normal primer leaving around 15-20 mins between each coat, leave for a good few hours in a warm place,
          once dry wet sand with 800/1000 wet and dry paper, don't rub through the primer, if you do you will need to reprime,
          dry/clean them off,
          3-4 thin/light coats of gloss black paint, again leaving 15-20 mins between coats, there is no need to sand between coats, its a waste of time and pretty much does nothing to the final finish, only time this should be done is if you get runs which you will need to wait til the paint is dry, wet sand the runs with 800/1000 and then repaint,
          leave about 20 mins after the last coat of paint and then 3 thin/light coats of lacquer, again 15-20 mins between coats, again only sand in between coats if you have runs etc,
          leave to dry for 24-48 hours, you can then refit or if you want you can wet sand with 2000 wet and dry and then use a cutting compound to bring the shine/gloss back up.

halfords lacquer is crap, don't bother with it, try and find a local motor factors who mixes cans or a paint/bodyshop supplier is always best
          Brilliant mate, thanks a lot for this. Exactly what I was looking for , what about that etch primer is that not needed then?
          sigpic

Comment

etch is only really for bare metal/alloys, a good plastic primer with normal primer over the top is fine

Comment

i personally wouldnt bother with the plastic primer tbh, but if you do use some just avoid the holts stuff, it sprays like clear water and runs like crazy, awful stuff. there paints and normal primer seem fine though
              Stage 3 Arden Astra gone
              Stage 2 burg

....................Arden Astra .....................
              Airtec Fmic/tophat/direct route/miltek/weight reduction/RnD mapped

Comment

i wouldn't skip the plastic primer, get a good one from a paint/bodyshop supplier, the good stuff is just clear and you only need a thin coat on first before you put any other primer on

other primer just doesn't bite into the plastic and stick well enough

Comment

Thanks a lot guys
                  sigpic

Comment

i wouldnt bother with the plastic primer either to small a job tbh
                    ..... gone but not forgotten.....

Auto Repair:All mechanical and bodywork carried out,services and diagnostics.....

Comment

Originally posted by jigger View Post
                      i wouldnt bother with the plastic primer either to small a job tbh
                      Did you paint you're own mate, did you use plastic primer? Do you get lots of stone chips?

Sorry for the questionaire Danny
                      sigpic

Comment

i did indeed henry i used high build primer instead

Auto Repair:All mechanical and bodywork carried out,services and diagnostics.....

Comment

Originally posted by jigger View Post
                          i did indeed henry i used high build primer instead
                          Whats that do different mate? Where do you get it?
                          sigpic

Comment

should get it all at halfords i would imagine

Comment

plastic primer will help against stone chips, when you get a stone chip its likely that normal primer will just lift off, it won't do with plastic primer underneath the normal primer

but what do i know? i'm only a painter by trade

Comment

Working...
                              X