Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

insurance question car crash

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • insurance question car crash

    sadly milly had a minor bump today in her 2000 clio

    it was her fault, she rearended another car at approx 5 mph

    the plastic wing is done and it need a new headlight. the inner skin under the wing is bent but not snapped or creased. we just need an expert to straighten this out. chassis legs are straigh as an arrow

    ive managed to sorce the parts very cheep so i recon we can fix hers very cheep. we havent had a quote from the other driver

    millys excess is £700. now if we decide to fix millys car will she still have to pay access? her insurance seem to think they will write it off as its an older car but she love the wee thing to bits

    ive to call my insurance tomorrow to add her so she has something to drive

    this week may be fun

    sigpic



  • #2
    You'll have to pay the access if they other guy is claiming as its her fault. So in theory you might as well let them write the car off, get a payout from them and buy the car back cheaply and fix it, Depends if you willing to take a hit on the resale value being a cat d, if you come to sell.

    My dad had an Izuzu Mu years ago, Its a 4x4 that izuzu built from spare parts from all cars across its range, it had a minor bump and because the insurance couldnt find a part they wrote it off, Gave my dad 4k and he bought it back for 1k. Month or so later he found the part on a vauxhall frontera which shares the same shell as the MU, bought it from vx and fitting himself for £100 RESULT

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Phatashki View Post
      You'll have to pay the access if they other guy is claiming as its her fault. So in theory you might as well let them write the car off, get a payout from them and buy the car back cheaply and fix it, Depends if you willing to take a hit on the resale value being a cat d, if you come to sell.

      My dad had an Izuzu Mu years ago, Its a 4x4 that izuzu built from spare parts from all cars across its range, it had a minor bump and because the insurance couldnt find a part they wrote it off, Gave my dad 4k and he bought it back for 1k. Month or so later he found the part on a vauxhall frontera which shares the same shell as the MU, bought it from vx and fitting himself for £100 RESULT
      Only flaw with that is that most of the insurers have a disposal agent now so no guarantee you can buy the car off them (if your paid out they own the car) etc
      Best hope is that the other car is a cheap fix and you could then pay cash to fix both to prevent needing to pay the excess?

      Astra

      Comment


      • #4
        My mrs hit a car, her excess is 800. We repaired hers, before claim came through, the other car was 700 quid of damage but the insurance paid it she didn't pay anything. We didn't get it, didn't question it. Just said ok.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by randomgary View Post
          sadly milly had a minor bump today in her 2000 clio

          it was her fault, she rearended another car at approx 5 mph

          the plastic wing is done and it need a new headlight. the inner skin under the wing is bent but not snapped or creased. we just need an expert to straighten this out. chassis legs are straigh as an arrow

          ive managed to sorce the parts very cheep so i recon we can fix hers very cheep. we havent had a quote from the other driver

          millys excess is £700. now if we decide to fix millys car will she still have to pay access? her insurance seem to think they will write it off as its an older car but she love the wee thing to bits

          ive to call my insurance tomorrow to add her so she has something to drive

          this week may be fun
          Gary,

          I would get the other driver to get a quote for thier damage and then if its less than Milly's excess you pay for thier repair and repair milly's car yourself.

          If you post up pictures mate i could give you some pointers? If its a head light wing and wing carrier you will be able to fix that yourself i would say.

          Most ins firms will allow you to buy the car back also but then it will be noted as a write off and future sales are not easy, ive repaired a fair few write offs and sold on to mainly friends and family who have seen the repairs i also kept a record of parts and areas repaired to show what the damamge was.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by IanJ View Post
            Only flaw with that is that most of the insurers have a disposal agent now so no guarantee you can buy the car off them (if your paid out they own the car) etc
            Best hope is that the other car is a cheap fix and you could then pay cash to fix both to prevent needing to pay the excess?
            True but you could ask if u have an option to buy it back before letting them write it off, if they say no then dont do it obviously.

            But as above to what you said, if it isnt bad see if u can sort it out without insurance but still expect her premium to go up next yr as u have already told them.

            Comment


            • #7
              ^^^+1^^^
              #1

              Comment


              • #8
                thought it best to declare in the 24hour window. here it is








                sigpic


                Comment


                • #9
                  The good thing about newer cars is that almost all the front parts are just bolt on including the front wings so very easy to change over yourself.

                  But as above ........ ask them if you can buy it back before they actually write the thing off. At least that way its all going through the proper channels.

                  James

                  sigpic
                  MY14 Corsa Burg, "REX" , Burg #452

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by randomgary View Post
                    thought it best to declare in the 24hour window. here it is







                    I see why you said you may need a little bit of help, the front panel and wing carrier will need a little pull to straighten up and that probably the part that will write it off the time to pull that as they may put it down for Jig time. If i didnt live on the moon and you were just round the corner i would fix that for you.

                    The gap between the door and wing is only tight because the plastic is under pressure, theres no structural damage from looking at the pictures, did the bonnet get hit atol?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      two light scratches on the bonnet, all the gaps are still straight!

                      it seems like a very low speed hit that will cost us a fortune! o well lucky we have savings!

                      cheers for the advise

                      sigpic


                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by randomgary View Post
                        two light scratches on the bonnet, all the gaps are still straight!

                        it seems like a very low speed hit that will cost us a fortune! o well lucky we have savings!

                        cheers for the advise
                        Total shame, Gary it would be an idea to ask the other driver how much there car will be to repair, it may be cheaper than replacing Milly's car should it be written off and obv paying your excess as well. Frustrating for me i could knock that back into shape and have it as new in a morning...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          right insurance is taking the piss! we have not heard a thing from them. we have called and emailed on a number of occasions. the answer has always been "due to the car not being in a garage we cannot supply a courtisy car" meanwhile they have a quote for repair from an insurance approved repair company. They were paid £1500 in full at the begining of the insurance cover and millys car is sat in our drive unroadworthy, she has already missed a week at work and looks like another is coming

                          where do we stand?

                          sigpic


                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Basicly Gary you have to do as your told with insurance companys. They are right twits. Theres nothing at all you can do they deal with these things every day, they know what their doing they know how to make money and rip you off. I call them scammers. Always read the small print with insurance before going ahead as they all ways get them selves outer things. To many law, legal people working for them.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X