This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New smart televisions

This might be of some use to any gamers who in the future will be buying a new t.v.

Now im not a gamer myself but some of my mates play that call of duty.

So basicilly my mate got a new lg 3d lcd led 47" .Its one of these new smart tvs were its hooked up to the interweb etc.Cracking tv 3ds great an picture quality is top notch.

Now the only problem is the tv is no good for gaming,i think its to do with the refresh rate or something,not sure on the technical data but its no good.Theres a delay in shooter games especially.

I cant understand why they would make such a good tv an not make it capable for gaming especially as call of duty is one of the most played games in the world id imagine.
    sigpic

Check the menu settings on the TV, there may be a gaming mode

Comment

I'd be very very shocked if it's not simply a setting missed somewhere tbh. I don't know a great deal about TV tech but surely the connectivity side of things i.e. how it handles a HMDI/video input wouldn't have changed that much if at all because of the 3D tech? Cos surely that would mean that your Blu-ray/dvd player would also suffer the same problems?

Comment

Originally posted by vr55vxr View Post
        Check the menu settings on the TV, there may be a gaming mode
        I did tried game mode an it made no difference.I thought the same thing
        Originally posted by VXRBats View Post
        I'd be very very shocked if it's not simply a setting missed somewhere tbh. I don't know a great deal about TV tech but surely the connectivity side of things i.e. how it handles a HMDI/video input wouldn't have changed that much if at all because of the 3D tech? Cos surely that would mean that your Blu-ray/dvd player would also suffer the same problems?
        Again i thought the same as you,with it being a modern tv how can they over look the gaming side.So i starting digging an found reviews from tech sites that slate the gaming capabilitly of this model.
        sigpic

Comment

Does seem very odd if they have and a huge oversight cutting off a large part of their market. Has he tried playing a DVD through the console to see how that behaves? Surely if it can play the DVD then just means there's a conflicting setting buried away on either the console or TV. Maybe contact LG's tech support or customer services?

Comment

Watched the 3d last night an its very good,Normal HD is also perfect.Its too do with that kind of game(cod)Shoot em ups lol

Its something to do with the refresh rate whatever that means.He going to try an change it.

I went down thinking the same it has to be something in the settings,played around changed things,game mode etc nothing.Its like having a slight lag he says.Whenever hes trying to move an aim etc it jumps rather than a smooth motion if you get me lol
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah i know what ya mean. Just trying to think of the settings i've played around with before on my PS3 lol i seem to re-call there being a choice between PAL 50hz and PAL 60hz or something along those lines. I'm pretty sure that was to do with the refresh rate, sure it was changed through the actual console but may be worth checking if the TV supports either of those.

Spoke to a bloke i work with who's a bit more into gaming and he asked whether he's running through a HDMI or SCART lead?

Comment

Originally posted by VXRBats View Post
                Yeah i know what ya mean. Just trying to think of the settings i've played around with before on my PS3 lol i seem to re-call there being a choice between PAL 50hz and PAL 60hz or something along those lines. I'm pretty sure that was to do with the refresh rate, sure it was changed through the actual console but may be worth checking if the TV supports either of those.

Spoke to a bloke i work with who's a bit more into gaming and he asked whether he's running through a HDMI or SCART lead?
                HDMI lead mate.Well he has it in his head that its no good after reading the reviews.Its a shame cause its a cracker.

If they dont change it ill have to look into it more.My bro mentioned something about the hz.
                sigpic

Comment

ahh, my mate said it could be the SCART causing issues but defo not that then... lol

Yeah, best bet might be to just give LG's customer services a call and see what they've got to say?

Comment

Yeah if he ends up stuck with it he has no choice lol cheers dude
                    sigpic

Comment

The latest LED sets are simply lit in a different way than LCD types. The former uses light emitting diodes for illumination; the latter uses one or more flourescent type tubes. They both use the same LCD panel technology.

The refresh rate is a product of a number of things. First off, LCD's were never as good at handling horizontal motion as Plasmas or the small screen format TFT types. Plasmas are on their way out and TFT's don't lend themselves to very large screen sizes.

Once a device is connectied with an HDMI lead the 50Hz/60Hz rule doesn't apply; nor does PAL/NTSC etc. HDMI is a digitial format that transfers the video signal from device to screen whilst going through the minimum of processing and totally avoiding any analogue signals. However, HDMI does use a form of encryption to digitally protect copyright. That encryption is dynamic and constantly exchanges keys. This all requires processing power, and this is the second variable that affects the refesh rate.

For advanced gamers, the processing power of the TV itself is critical, especially if they use HDMI as a connection. If you really want the best in gaming performance from a large screen TV then you would be best to look at the Panasonic Plasma range with 400-600HZ scan. Plasma may be old tech but it is better at motion handling, thanks to the difference in how it maps each digital bit of information to each pixel on the screen.

It's also worth noting that PC video cards are typically set up with 24 or 32 bits per pixel. HD broadcast is only 8 bits per pixel so manufacturers of large screen TV's have no commercial reason to deploy more processing than needed.

As a quick solution to your problem, try connecting using the component connection. This will not allow HDMI 1080p or 720p but there's no encryption on the component inputs. You could also try any DVI connections. These shopuld allow 720p but will still have encryption, however it's possible the gaming device won't know, so will ignore the encryption request. In some cases this may mean a black screen but it's worth a try.

Also check the TV settings for anything called EDID and switch it off. This is just a feedback mechanism that allows the TV to automatically switch its inputs to any live device.

If you are using a PC then try turning the bits per pixel ratio on the video card down to 16 or 8.

Bottom line is that HD broadcast is 720P and Blu Ray is 1080p but only at 8 bits per pixel and TV screens are set up to that standard.

Hope this helps
                      AJG

http://www.croziergreen.com

Comment

^^ What he said

Comment

Hey AJG

Thanks for that,undertsand what your saying dude.Ive also been told that the panasonic plasma is the best for gaming viera is the model i think.

Well currys wont change the tv for him,think the manager is being a cuhunt as customer services told him that it was up too the store manger.She said that because the box was opened that is was no good.Now i was down an saw the tv its all the oe packaging an oe stickers plastics all around the tv bar the screen lol.Oe box not damaged in anyway,so i think this is a poor show on their behalf.
                          sigpic

Comment

my led hdtv has if i recall correctly a refresh rate of 100Hz. MY PS3 is hooked up with a HDMI lead, a good qualiity one and dont have any issues with any shoot em up games. the only game that i have experienced some problems with is the assassins creed games as the levels are so big occassionally it judders for a second or two through fast moving motions for long periods of times. any other game is fine. whats the refresh rate of his? even though its brand new it might still only have a refresh rate of 100Hz whereas you can get models with 100Hz to 400Hz in 3d led

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                              my led hdtv has if i recall correctly a refresh rate of 100Hz. MY PS3 is hooked up with a HDMI lead, a good qualiity one and dont have any issues with any shoot em up games. the only game that i have experienced some problems with is the assassins creed games as the levels are so big occassionally it judders for a second or two through fast moving motions for long periods of times. any other game is fine. whats the refresh rate of his? even though its brand new it might still only have a refresh rate of 100Hz whereas you can get models with 100Hz to 400Hz in 3d led
                              Alright Jay

I think its 200 im not 100% sure on this.Again im not a gamer so im not clued up on this refresh rate etc,but i do consider myself to be a little technical minded lol.

From what i can understand from him on gaming sites,is that the ideal refresh rate is20-40 im not sure on the corrext unit of measurement now.Then you take into account lag from console to tv or from internet an add that on to the tvs refresh rate an whatever way this tv is set up that results in the lag.

In AJG post he states that hz wont come into play because the HDMI is a channel on its on so to speak.The new samsung s8000 is apparently the best new tv on the market,its only out prior to this the panasonic mentioned was the best.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X