Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 different oil change prices from 4 different dealers..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 different oil change prices from 4 different dealers..

I will have done 1000 miles in the corsa by Monday so I thought I'd ring around a few local dealers to get some prices on an oil filter and oil change

First garage was hartwell vauxhall, kidlington, oxfordshire
    They quoted £269!!!!!!!!

Next garage was skurrays vauxhall in swindon
    They quoted £99, I was a bit happier tbh and I was willing to pay it

The next one was southern vauxhall in Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales
    They quoted £106, even though Swindon were £7 cheaper I probably would've gone there as I know them to be a decent reliable dealer (seems to be a rarity..)

The last dealer I rung was the one I ordered the car through
    They quoted me £52!!!! Couldn't believe it, absolutely chuffed. Needless to say I'm booked in with them on Tuesday

Just goes to show how much of a rip off some dealers are and that shopping around can save you £217

£52 for an oil change is good considering the oil would cost around £40. But that might worry me, are they using cheap/crap oil?

Oil and filter changes are so easy I'd never pay anyone else to do it lol
    VXR-Less

But now an Evo IX FQ-360

Comment

it want cost them 40 for the oil
      sigpic

Comment

I'd ring the first one back, tell them you've rang around for prices and you've got it for £52 from another dealer. Then ask why they gave you that quote? Pees me off all these ripoff merchants.
        VXR8 LS3 - PHANTOM BLACK. WP Power Pack Remap, Bi-Modal Exhaust, WP Cats & Headers, 20" Alloys, Lowered Suspension, HSV ID Kit, WP Wheel Centres

GONE ------- Zafira VXR - Power Red - Stage 3 / Zafira VXR - Arden Blue / Astra VXR Nurburgring - Stage 2 / Astra VXR - Power Red

Comment

Absolute rip off prices there (but they don't surprise me). Oil and filter changes are simple and quick. I buy the oil and filters and our mechanic does our three cars on the driveway in a few hours. I would never pay garage prices for jobs like this.

Comment

Would have thought a oil and filter change at 1k was a waste of money, (vauxhall dont suggest it) at least go for the 5k mark imo.

As for hartwell vauxhall, kidlington, oxfordshire £269, i would want some serious explanation as to why they are charging that amount for a basic oil/filter change.

And you dont have to go to a dealer for servicing, any vat registered garage that uses original spec/parts can do the job.
            miniman
            VXR Torque of the Devil
            Last edited by miniman; 2 July 2011, 04:57 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by miniman View Post
              Would have thought a oil and filter change at 1k was a waste of money, (vauxhall dont suggest it) at least go for the 5k mark imo.

As for hartwell vauxhall, kidlington, oxfordshire £269, i would want some serious explanation as to why they are charging that amount for a basic oil/filter change.

And you dont have to go to a dealer for servicing, any vat registered garage that uses original spec/parts can do the job.
              Lots on here recommend doing it, I'd imagine it could be from swarf/metal filings..
              2 dealerships told me not to do it until 20k, kidlington tried fobbing me off saying only a dealership could do it, I said about any VAT garage and they were having none of it

When they said £269 I asked if she'd heard me right when I said oil and filter change she he said yes, then she tried selling me some engine cleaning stuff for an extra £90 I think. They go from not recommending the oil change to recommending an oil change and engine clean :S
              DanPonting
              VXR enough
              Last edited by DanPonting; 2 July 2011, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr-Ponting View Post
                Lots on here recommend doing it, I'd imagine it could be from swarf/metal filings..
                2 dealerships told me not to do it until 20k, kidlington tried fobbing me off saying only a dealership could do it, I said about any VAT garage and they were having none of it

When they said £269 I asked if she'd heard me right when I said oil and filter change she he said yes, then she tried selling me some engine cleaning stuff for an extra £90 I think. They go from not recommending the oil change to recommending an oil change and engine clean :S
                A dealer cannot stop you from going to an independent garage, its legal and does not affect your warrenty, just so long as the garage is vat registered and uses correct spec parts and lubricants that meets vxl recommendations, they can even stamp your service book.

As for oil contamination (swarf/filings) after 1k, its highly unlikely, it doesnt do any harm to change the oil/ filter but its not cost effective, this is just my opinion, at the end of the day its your money your choice.
                miniman
                VXR Torque of the Devil
                Last edited by miniman; 2 July 2011, 06:06 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X