This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• travlers chques

we have just booked our holiday now my question is are travlers chques any good as normally just take cash but the mrs wants to take chques and how much will we lose in terms of % on 3000gbp

any help would be great thankyou.
    Check out our new website sign in for discounts

www.ntjmotorsports.co.uk

Where are you off?

I think you can do better than cheques - those prepaid cards probably make more sense?
    I tend to just take currency with me these days although have done cheques in the past

Astra

Comment

tenarief mate i have no idea on the varios ways of taking money over as i am the same as you norm just take currency.

www.ntjmotorsports.co.uk

Comment

I'm a currency man myself, but the cheques are a good idea incase your robbed, I'm unsure how much you will loose however, I normally take the majority in cash and if needed I will use the credit card
        sigpic

Comment

Sorry to hijack - does anyone know for sure whether Travellers Cheques 'expire; if you don't use them? Got 600 Euro cheques from 2007 not used. Did use a couple of them in 2009 when I got a few funny looks from cashiers in Portugal but they cashed them. There's no date on them or anything. Could do with know as am going to France later this summer.
          VXR8 LS3 - PHANTOM BLACK. WP Power Pack Remap, Bi-Modal Exhaust, WP Cats & Headers, 20" Alloys, Lowered Suspension, HSV ID Kit, WP Wheel Centres

GONE ------- Zafira VXR - Power Red - Stage 3 / Zafira VXR - Arden Blue / Astra VXR Nurburgring - Stage 2 / Astra VXR - Power Red

Comment

i take cash these days and card for emergency , if you decide to take trav checks don`t bother with small amounts , take 100`s and a couple of 50`s for the last day , you get charged the same everytime you change them wether it`s a 20 or a 100 so better to get 100 changed at a time and as said save the smaller note (50`s) for the end of the hols .

if it keeps your wife`s mind at ease then go for trav checks as there`s nothing worse than worrying whilst on holiday .

Comment

Originally posted by bgasmatt View Post
              tenarief mate i have no idea on the varios ways of taking money over as i am the same as you norm just take currency.
              £3000 seems a lot for Tenerife - you could go to Elevenerife for that much

Here's the Post Office's Travel Card details - http://www2.postoffice.co.uk/travel/...ees-and-limits

Astra

Comment

Thanks Ian I will take a look the mrs and daughter have expensive taste mate

www.ntjmotorsports.co.uk

Comment

We were at Mallorca this year and took Thomson's Visa Card - You pre-fill it with as much as you want and use it like a pre-pay credit card when you're there. (no risk of 'getting excited' and running up huge bills). Everyone there accepts it - shops, restaurants etc. (just like a Visa) and you can withdraw cash from the hole-in-the wall too (£1 charge I think). If you lose it or get it stolen you get a replacement the next day. I wouldn't travel again without itn. Thomas Cook did the same type of card. We took £200 in cash and £1000 on the card and still came back with a bit. You get them at the currency exchange in the travel agents.
                  Arden Zafira VXR
                  Arden Blue, 19" Cruize Lxy Haines alloys, Xenon AFLs, Cruise Control, Climate Control, Front & Rear Parking Sensors, Chrome Roof Rails, Sonniboy Rear Privacy Blinds, HEKO Wind Deflectors, Richbrook Aerial, LED sidelights, Corsa Indicator Surrounds, Insignia Jets.

Comment

Working...
                  X