X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• education

Howdy chaps and chapesses

Iv been thinking of furthering my education, after being a fool as a youngster I totally destroyed my life at college during my apprenticeship
    I didn't turn up to class and eventually I left college to learn the job, on the job

Now I'm thinking of going back, providing things can be flexible with my shifts

My main line of work is electrical engineering, ideally I would like to take a course in this field, while keeping my options open for a move of job,
    I have thought about sparks courses, electrical engineering courses etc and can't decide,

Do you think this is a good idea?
    Iv a horrendous mind for theory, things don't click till I see it if this makes sense, I have very good grades from school, bit my issue being I'm 29yo now

Any tips?
    sigpic

Its never too late to learn. If you are thinking about it, then it shows you are ready, and will be morelikely to succeed. It depends on what branch of electrical you want to develop in. I have taught Electrical and Electronic Engineering for a very long time. If you want any help then feel free to PM me. John

Comment

mate you must be doing ok now,as you have a nice house,nice car (when its running ok) if you want to do it,DO IT.
      but do not forget, just because you have a degree in something does not mean you will get a job in it. i have lads that have finished uni and have paperwork to prove it and they work for me at weekends.
      if you are happy with your life,just keep going,if you are not happy,move on.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wayne/VXR View Post
        mate you must be doing ok now,as you have a nice house,nice car (when its running ok) if you want to do it,DO IT.
        but do not forget, just because you have a degree in something does not mean you will get a job in it. i have lads that have finished uni and have paperwork to prove it and they work for me at weekends.
        if you are happy with your life,just keep going,if you are not happy,move on.
        I totally agree with wayne, the bit of paper in most cases is only that and means not alot on the real world its experience that plays the biggest part.

I was like you and ****** about in school, got half decent grades but left at 15 and joined the motortrade and worked as hard as i could and got as good as i could and by all account i was pretty awesome but that was as far as i could go so after 7 years at the i decided to leave and follow into civil engineering. I wanted to be an engineering surveyor and civil designer so i found an access course at my local college and got a part time job in GAP which wasnt to bad pay actually. After the 6 month access course i enrolled on a construction management course HNC level, one day when leaving class there was an add on one of the boards from a local firm looking for a part time helper so i took the notice off the board so no one else could call them and i phoned them right away. I got the job (no one else phoned) but the college said i couldnt take it as it would interupt my studies so i told them that and i left it, a few month later they called me back and offered to take me on full time and put me through college but i would be on reduced wages so i took the chance and it paid off. It took me 3.5 years of college and work but i got that bit of paper and left as soon as i got it and moved to a bigger firm with more opertunities. Ive now been here for 4 years and i am survey manager and a senior civil technician.

Its all about having the drive to succeed Stu if you want it go for it dont sit and wait and watch the world go by! I used to always think 'how come hes got plenty money and a great job'? - Because he got off his **** and took the chances and made it! At the time its a scary thing to do and pretty much a good few years of not knowing but you'll get there bud. You also have a family to think about and a mortgage i didnt have any of that so i guess for me it was slightly easier.

There are bursurys and funding to help you through it so its worth calling your local college and asking them for an interview or if you can chat to the electrical tech teachers.

Good luck Stu

Comment

Originally posted by moosh View Post
          I totally agree with wayne

did we just become friends....

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wayne/VXR View Post
            did we just become friends....

Wayne its a beautiful thing!

Comment

Working...