This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Am I The Slowest Car On The Motorway? Lol

Hey everyone, it seems to me that im always one of the slowest cars on the motorway! And yes i know my screen name shows that in which im proud of

But when im drivin along either the M3 or M25 in which i hardly ever go above 70 unless for overtaking, the other cars seem to zoom past at a speed of 80/90plus! Has the speed limit been changed? lol
    Opel Nürburgring Edition No.534 / IG - ItzMrGoodKat

No, but it should be.

Cars have become far more advanced since the 70mph speed limit was introduced in terms of stopping distances, electronic stability control etc. It should be increased to 80-90mph IMO.
    Ex owner - Now Leon Cupra 290 Black Edition

Comment

It's you is it slowing everything down

Some motorways now seem almost unlimited. I came back down the M6 toll the other day, in a hire car though, I thought I was doing ok, but there was car after car doing well into the 100s, as if they were on the autobahn.

The m3 and m27 are also at times going at a rate where it seems people are comfortable maintaining really high average speeds
      The adventure is over, Blue Beast, gone

Comment

Theres no common sense with speed limits your better off driving to conditions. A 30mph zone in the day should be a 30mph zone but a long 60mph in the middle of the night you could do more. Thats what annoys me when people winge about speed camaras by me the're all in 30mph zones which is fine the're not down country road 60 zones. It's got to be safer for most of us to be driving at 100mph than a 90 year old woman in a Kia doing 70mph due to reactions, size of brakes, the fact we care about our cars lol We need a fast car lane on the motorway lol

ASTRA MK4
        build thread - http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...46#post2094646

Comment

Originally posted by DMVXR View Post
          The m3 and m27 are also at times going at a rate where it seems people are comfortable maintaining really high average speeds
          Thats why theres always crashes on the m27 and m3, always by my exit too lol

ASTRA MK4

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheManc View Post
            No, but it should be.

Cars have become far more advanced since the 70mph speed limit was introduced in terms of stopping distances, electronic stability control etc. It should be increased to 80-90mph IMO.
            Couldn't agree more. We have national speed limits that were set in a time when the fastest thing you could drive was a Model T, modern day cars are far more capable of handling speeds in excess of 70. The only issue then becomes the fact we'd be doing near on double the speed of lorries which are limited to 56mph and aren't likely to be changed any time soon.

That and the fact we have drivers which don't seem to grasp the idea of being in the left lanes unless overtaking and then sit at like 50 mph in the outside lanes being a hazard....

Comment

The motorway limit was set when an AC Cobra Le Mans car was caught testing at over 170mph lol Still though seriously out dated. It's not the cars that are the problem it's the nuts behind the wheel lol They can do it in Germany as skill level is soo much higher than here where we have more fatal road collisions than anywhere else in europe.

ASTRA MK4

Comment

Originally posted by scorer View Post
                They can do it in Germany as skill level is soo much higher than here where we have more fatal road collisions than anywhere else in europe.
                Incorrect I'm afraid.

my VXR history: Arden Corsa, Astra Nurburgring, Corsa Arctic, Evoke VXR8, Black Corsa, Silver Vectra, a long weekend with an Insignia, a chilli burger and now a siggy tourer!

Comment

No, but it should be.

Fair point but there's still older cars on the road

Comment

Originally posted by Petrolhead Matt View Post
                    Fair point but there's still older cars on the road
                    Depends what you mean by older. The 70mph speed limit was introduced in 1965 as a temporary motorway limit and then made permanent in 1967. People who own cars from this era are likely to be enthusiast owners of classic cars. Its highly unlikely there will drive dangerously or cause problems. If you mean older cars from say 1980's-1990's, then they are still way more advanced than cars were in 1965 and are capable of travelling safely at 80mph.
                    Ex owner - Now Leon Cupra 290 Black Edition

Comment

To be honest your not going to get pulled for 80mph otherwise we'd have no overtaking lol The problem is the drivers plenty of people struggle at 70 let alone any more lol

ASTRA MK4

Comment

Originally posted by moeman View Post
                        Incorrect I'm afraid.
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_collision#Fatality

and scroll down to chart

ASTRA MK4

Comment

Originally posted by scorer View Post
                          Yes and the two casualty rates of per million inhabitants and per billion miles are both lower for the UK than Germany and many other countries, and the data is from 2005.

my VXR history: Arden Corsa, Astra Nurburgring, Corsa Arctic, Evoke VXR8, Black Corsa, Silver Vectra, a long weekend with an Insignia, a chilli burger and now a siggy tourer!

Comment

Danger comes from differences in speed. If you all did the same speed down the motorway no one would hit each other lol.

If your on a motorway you should do 70mph not less. If your doing less loads of cars are then having to move out to move around you. Causes people to bunch up, which has a massive effect on cars approaching the bunch then bunching up even more. Also more likely people switching lanes to get round you making a mistake and pulling into someone.

Independent bespoke mapping available see my Facebook or find me at WG Motorworks

Clique #14

Comment

Depends what you mean by older. The 70mph speed limit was introduced in 1965 as a temporary motorway limit and then made permanent in 1967. People who own cars from this era are likely to be enthusiast owners of classic cars. Its highly unlikely there will drive dangerously or cause problems. If you mean older cars from say 1980's-1990's, then they are still way more advanced than cars were in 1965 and are capable of travelling safely at 80mph.
                              im working on a 1964 mini...

Comment

Working...
                              X