Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Becareful of Tesco Momentum 99 fuel (thread from 2011)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becareful of Tesco Momentum 99 fuel (thread from 2011)

i have had my vxr corsa for 18 months now and i have always used super unleaded fuel. i first used Shell Vpower then my friends suggested to use Tesco momentum 99 instead as they found that they got more miles out of a tank then they did with Vpower.
    So for around 15 month ive been using Momentum 99 but i noticed my car had a slight misfire. So i took it to vauxhall and they did loads of different tests on the car checking pressures on everything and even changing different parts on the car such as, coil pack, lamba senser, spark plugs. nothing came up as a fault so they had to take the engine apart to check the valves and they were fine BUT the valve seats were badly carbonized and this was a fuel related problem.
    The worst part of all of this is it IS NOT covered under warrenty as it is classed a fuel related problem which is classed as daily wear and tear so i had a bill of £700 to pay.

Ater 3 and a half weeks without my car and a £700 bill to pay, i finally got my car back but it was still misfiring, so i took it bk and they had it hor yet another 2weeks and the garage then reffered it to the head office technical team.

Technical at vauxhall head office advised me not to use the fuel i have been using because they said quite clearly it is causing some sort of damage to the running of the cars engine. they then advised me to change the fuel supplier so i have now gone back to Vpower and i have ran 3 FULL TANKS of Vpower through the car and there is no misfire there at all anymore.

Just something for you guys to take into consideration because i would hate for this to happen to anyone else.

are you sure it wasn`t just popping exhaust when driven hard as your claim is one hell of a claim which i don`t believe as both the fuels are 99ron so can`t see how T99 can cuase any problems

Comment

when ever the car was sat stationary you could hear it and the rev counter would flicker and this was weather the engine was hot or cold

Comment

fingers crossed the problem doesn`t come back , certainly a wierd one though

Comment

this appears to be another issue starting to become commonplace with the corsa! i would like to know why vx blaimed the fuel before i will jump on the bandwagon though

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by randomgary View Post
            this appears to be another issue starting to become commonplace with the corsa! i would like to know why vx blaimed the fuel before i will jump on the bandwagon though
            if and i say if , if it does turn out to be T99 fuel it will have to be one huge bandwagon and not to mention the size of the can of worms n all that follows .

as for vx well they have got things wrong in the past , take the fully synthetic mobile one oil that they 1st recomended but after a couple of years they realised it wasn`t best for vxr engines and since the reccomendation has been removed from the front page of this site .

Comment

I have used t99 for 3 years never had a problem tried vpower twice and the car spat its dummy out why u running me on that crap. So i guess it is down to the owners choice and how he or she feels the car runs right on.
              REGIONAL ORGANISER covering MANCHESTER, NORTH WALES CHESHIRE & MERSEYSIDE

Comment

They can then do an investigation im sure and i think they hold samples of fuel used at garage forecourts?
                HeavenlyDetail
                Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

Comment

hmmm, interesting reading, i had my car tuned and always ran v-power, i filled with a tank of t99 and started getting missfires, car cut out also, when i asked about the change in fuel i was quickly laughed at, went back to v-power and all is well
                  sigpic

Comment

if your certain its caused by the fuel then arent you going to persue tesco for damages?

Seems odd that it would be caused by fuel though. As there is not a tonne of people kicking off at tesco doesnt it suggest it was something wrong with the car itself?

Comment

I've always use momentum 99 and never had any issues! When I used vpower my fuel pump (I think) was making a right racket!

Comment

Originally posted by Daz View Post
                        if and i say if , if it does turn out to be T99 fuel it will have to be one huge bandwagon and not to mention the size of the can of worms n all that follows .

as for vx well they have got things wrong in the past , take the fully synthetic mobile one oil that they 1st recomended but after a couple of years they realised it wasn`t best for vxr engines and since the reccomendation has been removed from the front page of this site .
                        Sorry for the hijack, op.

This is new to me, Daz, I have been using Mobil1 for nearly 2 1/2 years! . So, what is the best oil for our leh then?
                        Zaffy VXR| RARB | Vxracing 19s in Gloss Black |Stage 3丨Turboback Miltek 丨TX Intercooler丨CDTI set-up with Pipercross Open Cone丨Forge Recric Valve 丨 Debaged 丨Corsa Indicator Surroundings |Full Rear Sunblinds | Leds Footwell Lightings丨

Comment

I had the same experience !
                          sigpic

Team HARD.
                          ...I'm a Regal dare devil...

Comment

Originally posted by stokie nath View Post
                            i have had my vxr corsa for 18 months now and i have always used super unleaded fuel. i first used Shell Vpower then my friends suggested to use Tesco momentum 99 instead as they found that they got more miles out of a tank then they did with Vpower.
                            So for around 15 month ive been using Momentum 99 but i noticed my car had a slight misfire. So i took it to vauxhall and they did loads of different tests on the car checking pressures on everything and even changing different parts on the car such as, coil pack, lamba senser, spark plugs. nothing came up as a fault so they had to take the engine apart to check the valves and they were fine BUT the valve seats were badly carbonized and this was a fuel related problem.
                            The worst part of all of this is it IS NOT covered under warrenty as it is classed a fuel related problem which is classed as daily wear and tear so i had a bill of £700 to pay.

Ater 3 and a half weeks without my car and a £700 bill to pay, i finally got my car back but it was still misfiring, so i took it bk and they had it hor yet another 2weeks and the garage then reffered it to the head office technical team.

Technical at vauxhall head office advised me not to use the fuel i have been using because they said quite clearly it is causing some sort of damage to the running of the cars engine. they then advised me to change the fuel supplier so i have now gone back to Vpower and i have ran 3 FULL TANKS of Vpower through the car and there is no misfire there at all anymore.

Just something for you guys to take into consideration because i would hate for this to happen to anyone else.
                            Can we safely assume your car is completely standard and never been touched since it left the factory ?

Something isnt quiet right here...... firstly by your own admission your "friends" have or still use T99, I assume without the same issues you have experienced else they wouldnt of recommended it in the 1st place so ............there must be or been an underlining issue with the car unless you have been using fuel from a petrol station with a storage/contamination issue as I for one have been using this stuff from day one with no issues at all.

AFAIK, you are less likely to have carbon deposits with T99 as for one is has the same level of detergent as VP but more importantly burns hotter due to the extra ingredients ......

So IMO you have paid from your own pocket for nothing, I wouldnt trust a dealership to diagnose an issue like that, secondly how it can be put down to a make of fuel is ridiculous - as stated previously I would pursue further with VX and the particular petrol station as i believe you have been fobbed off !

Have you any pics with the head off ??

Did you notice your car smoking at any stage ?
                            Last edited by R15VXR; 24 July 2011, 10:38 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Daz View Post
                              The reason it was removed, at the time Mobil 1 sponsored the BTCC team and the sponsorship deal finished.

Nothing to do with the oil not being not good.

Comment

Working...
                              X