This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standards

I know I am probably older than the average owner on this forum, but is it me, or is the standard of spelling and grammer on this board de-generating?

Some of the posts that I have read on this forum need to be re-read five or six times before I can understand what is trying to be said. Bad spelling, lack of even basic punctuation.

Is this the result of the country's education system, or just turbo lag between brain and keyboard.

Oh dear....what is the world coming to....

Right, where's my slippers, cocoa & pipe...

:wink:

Sorry Chris, I didn't understand a word of that. Can you take out the punctuation and mis-spell some of the words. I might be able to make out what you are getting at!

I know what you mean though. I don't know if it is just laziness or just a reflection on how the English language changes over time. I must admit I don't always use proper English on forums. I use 'wanna' and 'gonna' quite a bit. I guess it also helps me communicate with some of the youth today! I have noticed a lack of punctuation though. A whole sentence with no full stops can be difficult to read!

Some of it is also because of txt speak. I use predictive text on my phone so it's always (usually) full words. I hate texting though, it too damn slow...give me a QWERTY keyboard any day!

Translation for the young people:

U don't spk proper English nemore. It makes it difficolt for oldr peeps to undstd wot u r talking bout. Init, sorted, wicked.

Comment

Dyslexia have you come across it, could be a problem for some people on there, but if the forum is for the more intellectual members of the web, I will stop postings on hear.

www.courtenaysport.co.uk/ For all your tuning needs

Comment

Come on Dave your a big boy, dont think it was directly directed at you as most of us at some point have misspelled somthing on here we is not all purfic now is we.

Comment

Originally posted by vxrdave
          Dyslexia have you come across it, could be a problem for some people on there, but if the forum is for the more intellectual members of the web, I will stop postings on hear.
          Dave, I hear what you are saying, but from what I've seen, it's nothing to do with dyslexia.....

I'm not having a pop at anyone, honest, its just this morning, trying to read some of the posts was a tad perplexing and thought I'd share my thoughts.

OK... rant over....

Comment

Oh, and before anyone picks ME up on mispelling and such, I'm not above reproach and will occasionally make the odd spelling/grammer mistake, especially after copious amounts (alright, a snff) of J D.

And I will also abrv. words now and again..

Comment

Working...
            X