This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falling out of love with your car and back in again

I have my Astra VXR as my only car, not the only one I'm sure.. But I was finding the torque steer to violant and the car to bump about all over the place and it being not as fun anymore.

My g/f bought a 1.8 Tigra last night but due to insurance needing sorted for her I drove it 100 miles home and wow it's a very nice car (for a girly car) very relaxing drive comfy and really quite good handling to and really amazing visibility.

Anyway I'm taking it for a service and stuff while she is on holiday next week so I drove it back from her place to mine today, again it felt good to drive.

One thing I noticed is being based on the Corsa C is the dash is lower and the steering is lower. I got back home and pumped my seat up from the bottom back to the top which also means your also sitting further forward not just higher. Wow took it for a blast and all the handling was amazing! It appears that being more upright and closer to the front of the car makes me feel more comfetable about reading corners.

I think the reason behind this is my grip is strong as instead of having arms with say a 20 degree bend at the elbows I've got more of a 60-70 degree at the elbows. I could boot it and throw the car around and not feel it pulling left or right or bouncing around..

So I just thought I'd post this as a number of people who have posted threads about how they don't like there cars handling. I say to them try adjusting your driving position. Bring your self closer to the wheel and maybe higher up instead of being low and laid back like a sports seat as be honest the cars dash is really high!

Independent bespoke mapping available see my Facebook or find me at WG Motorworks

Clique #14

i know what you mean Richard,
    a low down stance with arms outstretched is great for the track, but sitting higher and arms more bent in my opinion gives you more 'chuckability' in the car.
    i did a bit or rallying (1000years ago) and we were told to have the steering wheel almost touching your chest
    Tuned by RnD Motorsport

Comment

I always find that if someone or something has messed around with my drivers seat in either the Astra or Corsa VXR I could never get it to perform to how I would like until I had done days of fiddling with the seat to get it right again.

It's so weird but I agree with you, the more upright you are and the closer to the steering wheel the easier it is to drive the car fast.
      I have a difference of opinion to you.

Comment

Last year I done a rally driving school and realised the advantages of sitting that bit closer, amazing how much more feel it gives and confidence it installs.

I'll try it in the astra later but the only problem I can forsee is that being quite tall I have to have the seat all the way down already.

Comment

Well I'm 6 2 so i'm not a short ***, I can just brush the roof with the seat at the top if I stretch so I pumped it down 2 times and was a good'n!

Independent bespoke mapping available see my Facebook or find me at WG Motorworks

Clique #14

Comment

Originally posted by R i c h a r d View Post
            Well I'm 6 2 so i'm not a short ***, I can just brush the roof with the seat at the top if I stretch so I pumped it down 2 times and was a good'n!
            If your complaining im sure we could do a deal to swap

Rabbid Tuned - WG Motorworks
            www.wgmotorworks.co.uk

Comment

I have a soft spot for a Tigra now too James

Clique #14

Comment

Working...
              X