This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car tax advise.

Took delivery of my Monaro yesterday, but not such a smooth operation as i had expexted.

When i got to the garage to collect it they told me it had not been MOT'd therefore had not been taxed.

They did the MOT while i waited and gave me all the documents etc and cheque to purchase a years tax for the vehicle today.

On my way home i found in the glove box the old tax disc from the previous owner which runs out in May 09..

As the cheque is made out to Post Office Ltd and is for a years tax i would like to get that and cash in the old one.

Can anyone see any problems with this, eg, Post office say that the car is still taxed, or i cant cash the tax in as it wasnt me who purchased it,

Any advise will be much appreciated

Thanks in adance
    Monaro VXR

Originally posted by maxmc2 View Post
    Took delivery of my Monaro yesterday, but not such a smooth operation as i had expexted.

When i got to the garage to collect it they told me it had not been MOT'd therefore had not been taxed.

They did the MOT while i waited and gave me all the documents etc and cheque to purchase a years tax for the vehicle today.

On my way home i found in the glove box the old tax disc from the previous owner which runs out in May 09..

As the cheque is made out to Post Office Ltd and is for a years tax i would like to get that and cash in the old one.

Can anyone see any problems with this, eg, Post office say that the car is still taxed, or i cant cash the tax in as it wasnt me who purchased it,

Any advise will be much appreciated

Thanks in adance
    Have you called the garage? Ask them to make the cheque out to you instead? If this isnt an option, id stick the old tax on, and wait until the renewal comes around and purchase it with the cheque.

The cheque will only be valid for six months though....

Comment

My advise, given you cant get the cheque changed into your name would be this,,,,

Put the tax disc which you have found in the glove box on view ( given that it is the correct disc for that vehicle - check the reg no !!

Then should you be available to do this the last weekend in Feb 09 - go and surrender the "old found tax disc" on the Fri 27th or the SAT 28th a/m latest. Dont forget it has to be either one of these dates !!!

Get a proof of delivery or send it recorded but it MUST have a FEB post stamp on it so you dont lose another mths tax refund. You will be given the correct form at your local post office to do this.

Hopefully by this time the new log book will have arrived in your NAME !!

Then that same Saturday morning using the NEW LOG BOOK for the Monaro, get 12mths tax with using the CHEQUE from the garage.

This way you will get a refund for the remaining time on the old disc and get 12mths Road TAX at the OLD RATE before it goes up in April

ps> How much have they made the cheque payable for - amount wise ??
      Last edited by R15VXR; 30 October 2008, 01:46 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Yes the tax disc in the car is for the correct vehicle

They have given me a cheque for £210 which is a years tax currently.

Because im not going to get tax for the car what do i do with the log book they gave me,. apparently the post office would of taken it off me and sent it on.., ?

Many thanks
        Monaro VXR

Comment

Originally posted by maxmc2 View Post

Yes the tax disc in the car is for the correct vehicle

They have given me a cheque for £210 which is a years tax currently.

Because im not going to get tax for the car what do i do with the log book they gave me,. apparently the post office would of taken it off me and sent it on.., ?

Many thanks

OK, do the above in FEBRUARY as described to save the max money

In the meantime get the LOG BOOK put in your name FAST, as it no use to you till you want buy your tax anyway and you have a valid 12mths MOT dont you ? ! (The garage should of done this anyway by signing it over to you etc etc )

By this time your new car insurance documents will be also with you
          sigpic

Comment

fill it out and send it off.

Comment

Many thanks for the advise lads, much appreciated
              Monaro VXR

Comment

Working...
              X