This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theft Warning To all VXR owners

Have a look at this thread Vectra-C.com It seems theft just got a bit more high tech.

http://forum.vectra-c.com/showthread.php?t=60742

I'm a tad worried now, am away to find a shotgun, a leather sofa, a magazine and a 6 pack of miller and Stand(sit) guard outside.

sigpic
    GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Comment

not so good and theft will be on the up with xmas coming, so the scum can make some pennies!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Voxer View Post
        Have a look at this thread Vectra-C.com It seems theft just got a bit more high tech.

http://forum.vectra-c.com/showthread.php?t=60742

I'm a tad worried now, am away to find a shotgun, a leather sofa, a magazine and a 6 pack of miller and Stand(sit) guard outside.
        Thanks for the heads up and link, wasn't sure if it was possible to clone a key remotely so did a bit of digging and it seems like a real possibility!!!

Apparently all it takes is the capture of two intercepted messages from the key to the car... one I guess when you park your car at the cinema car park and the second time when you unlock it to leave after your night out. All that's left is to run some code that someone clever wrote, and follow the mark back home.

Heres a few links

Remote keyless entry system for cars and buildings is hacked (pdf file)

Taken from:
        http://www.crypto.rub.de/keeloq/

I know it seems a bit James Bond but I guess anyone with the right?? connections could obtain such a device.

Anyone care to comment if this will affect the keyless entry as I though the key needs to be close to the car , i.e less than 1mtr so you may notice someone looking over your shoulder with a laptop (unless it is in the car next to you!?)

I guess to combat it you would need to revert to locking / unlocking the doors using the key (at least once) and check for tails on the way home.

Comment

Originally posted by Burg R King View Post
          Thanks for the heads up and link, wasn't sure if it was possible to clone a key remotely so did a bit of digging and it seems like a real possibility!!!
          How bad is this!

The next question is if they know how to do this, whats stopping them going one stage further and finding out how to bypass the immobiliser and ignition and start the car?

You cant have anything nice these days.

If in doubt get the car in a locked garage, which isnt electric!

Comment

This is VERY rare, i wouldnt get overly conerned.

iIn additoon the way it works is that someone has to be stganding near to you car and when you unlock it, normally by the key thob as most cars dont have keyless the 'thief' will use a hand held computer which will detect the signal between the key thob and car, this being the unlocking signal which is the same as the locking signal. The information is then placed onto a key like a vauxhall dealer would for a replacement key. This is very high tech stuff and not a run of the mill thing.
            Last edited by Jay; 6 November 2008, 11:16 AM.

Comment

so why then do all this high tech stuff for a vectra c design? and just to rob the sat nav?? why not go for some exotic stuff??
              sigpic
              GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Comment

Originally posted by vxr bad boy View Post
                so why then do all this high tech stuff for a vectra c design? and just to rob the sat nav?? why not go for some exotic stuff??
                Thats the million dollar question really? Most likely as stated above it was stolen to order. In 5 years ive only heard of this and have never actually known of a reported / confirmed case.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 1983 View Post
                  Thats the million dollar question really? Most likely as stated above it was stolen to order. In 5 years ive only heard of this and have never actually known of a reported / confirmed case.
                  are you traffic?
                  sigpic
                  GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Comment

For the most part. But traffic are less likely to know as they wouldnt deal with that sort of crime. I worked in crime intell for a while aswell looking at crime trends in the entire county which is why i know this sort of thing is rare. What you also have to take into account the possibility of a dodgey salesman etc that has managed to source a key from Vauxhall itself for the car as Vauxhall keep a record of the cars signal codes. I have heard of this being done on a few occassions but not with Vuaxhall before you ask - i was just using it as an example.
                    Last edited by Jay; 6 November 2008, 12:25 PM.

Comment

I posted because although rare for the most part, the most likely vauxhalls to get targeted by it is VXR's scary but true.

It does show though what professional car thieves are capable of.

Comment

If you were really concerned about possibly "eaves dropping" which is a def possibililty in some mutlistory Cps etc - you could also protect yourself from cloning the old fasion way !

lock you car and dead lock it with the KEY instead ???
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by R15VXR View Post
                          If you were really concerned about possibly "eaves dropping" which is a def possibililty in some mutlistory Cps etc - you could also protect yourself from cloning the old fasion way !

lock you car and dead lock it with the KEY instead ???
                          would locking the car with the key still activate the immobiliser/alarm?
                          sigpic
                          GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Comment

Working...
                          X